Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling your character

Options
  • 11-09-2004 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I've heard that people have been selling their MMORPG char's online in places like ebay etc. What kinda price range would you be looking at, for a midrange char to a high level beast? We talking 100euro, or 500euro? I don't need an exact figure, i'm just wondering if it really does take place, and roughly what they can go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I sold a level 50 HERO about a year or two ago in Dark Age Of Camelot for about 200 euro + and I got a high lvl characer along with the money too !

I also sold a lvl 42 warden for about 80 euro.

Mind you these days you wouldnt get anywhere near that ammount of money because there are so many high lvl characters around... unless they are v.v.uber :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Eew... That's yokky... I mean... It's your character...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Jedi masters on SWG have gone for €2k and upwards..
    Someone working for SOE could make a mint..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Anyone see that uber SWG char that went for $14000 a few months ago on Ebay? A Jedi Master 4444 (pre-patch) with over 300 million credits and a load of nice items..

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Basicaly what i want to know is, if i spend 30eur on monthly payments for a game (Ssuch as neocron2), should i be able to sell the acount on for more than 30euro? Or would i be lucky to get that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you get caught flogging MMO stuff online you can kiss your character/account bye-bye and then sit on a spikey fencing rail as SOE et al. send their lawyers after you .......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Lemming wrote:
    If you get caught flogging MMO stuff online you can kiss your character/account bye-bye and then sit on a spikey fencing rail as SOE et al. send their lawyers after you .......

They just ban the account is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sarky wrote:
    Eew... That's yokky... I mean... It's your character...

Well if your not gonna be playing the game anymore I dont see what the harm is , its just going to be going to waste. Someone else wants to use the character and the money is a nice way of making soem of the bloody monthly fees back. I would never buy a character though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Venom wrote:
    They just ban the account is all.

I'm going on what I recollect vaguely* but I think I recall SOE getting particularly p*ssed at the amount of SWG stuff being flogged on ebay and besides banning accounts with no refunds were threatening to set the lawyers on people as a deterrent to the masses .....

* this is a disclaimer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The problem (which is why some MMORPGS banned it) was that it lead to corruption.

There was one incident in UO many years ago where a GM was spawning gold and items and selling them on EBay. A French GM in neocron was also caught doing something similar (among other things).

• Advertisement

Well one UO account went on sale a few months back for $30,000. Yes 30k! It have every rare in the game, multiple houses in cool area's and multiple 7xGM accounts. Dunno how much it went for in the end tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As far as neocron goes you used to be able to make alot of money selling **** to americans who are real **** at a game and have deep pockets . Tuxy sold 2 Mc5's for 250 euro :P. Kayne of pluto ripped of moofausa's saturn accounts and sold all the stuff on e-bay all the duped crap and so on mc5's were selling for 50 dollars and that wasnt even the best stuff, in the end i say he came out with a nice lil sum of money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Friend of mine is trying to sell some Fett armour in SWG at the moment.

I believe it has made 99% of attackers turn around and run away when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I've heard that people have been selling their MMORPG char's online in places like ebay etc. What kinda price range would you be looking at, for a midrange char to a high level beast? We talking 100euro, or 500euro? I don't need an exact figure, i'm just wondering if it really does take place, and roughly what they can go for.

Eh why dont you just check for yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Saw a couple of SWG characters for sale on ebay for 1200 a piece.

Would you f*cking bother!!!???!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I don't see the problem with selling an account. In effect, you're selling on the product code that you bought with the game. I don't remember seeing on the pack "not for resale". Maybe I just missed it.

The fact that people list what's in the character is irrealavant. I could understand if SOE found out about this (or any other company) and wiped the character contents but they couldn't ban your account - that wouldn't exactly be legal would it? You're still paying for it and haven't broken any rules that i'm aware of.

Also, when people advertise in ebay they're stating that they're charging for time spent rather than actual items. Obviously not the case, but the wording does mean that they're not selling the intellectual rights to items, just the time it took to get them. This is after all what work is - getting paid for your time.

Friend of mine is trying to sell some Fett armour in SWG at the moment.

I believe it has made 99% of attackers turn around and run away when they see it.

Then his attackers were nimrods as Mandalorian armor has the 3rd weakest stats in the game so he telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yup. Mandalorian is just for show. All stats i've seen on it are between 30% and 36%. Good sliced comp will rate up around 80%-90%. Add a PSG and you're hard to kill :)

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Yup. Mandalorian is just for show. All stats I've seen on it are between 30% and 36%. Good sliced comp will rate up around 80%-90%. Add a PSG and you're hard to kill :)

Not to mention that there are no full suits of Mando armor yet. Think the most pieces made so far is 4 pieces on one server.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Personaly i find nothing wrong with selling accounts.

I've played on 3 Daoc accounts and sold all of them. i payed 40 euros for each and got 300 for my main one and 150 for the other 2.

i sold my main one ( Xero , ranger on excalibur , for those that care ) a long time ago and got that amount. Before the game was ruined with add ons etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Just checked EBay and saw a few Jedi from 500 - 750 euro a piece. There is even a dark Jedi for 15000. Which I presume is a joke. Nuts that people make a living from this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Finbar

In all the disclamers and agreements signed when installing SWG or most other MMORPGs it will state that selling game items, game money, or accounts is a bannable offense (if caught) so if you sign the agreement then you forfit the rights to keep the account and it can be banned and/or character deleted. Had a friend in SWG who sold a top notch WS with the best resources in the galaxy for +$500. The smuck who bought it tried to re-registor and the account got banned. Lost all the resources for the guild which would fetch 50-100mill in game easily.

They dont look kindly towards the items and money but usualy set up some sort of web based auction site .ie. SWG have one. But they will put your nuts in a cracker for selling your account info if caught. The part about the lawyers will only be brought into place once or twice for show against an offender close to the lawyers of and nearest court house. Anything more than this would be a waiste of time and money on there part.

Advertisement