Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband and Networking.

• 11-09-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Ok just got Eircom broadband and that Nettopia modem (router?)

Anyway, Im getting a small 4port hub tomorow so I can connect the other pc's in the house to the internet.

I know how to do it by making one pc a server and using ICS, having the rest then connected to the Internet through my computer.

Im thinking though, it would be handier if I didnt have to use a server, instead just having all the computers connect to the hub, and also the ADSL modem connected to the Hub also. This sounded fine to me until I read this:
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/adsl_mxstream_pcs.php#1

Which seems to be saying that only one computer could use the ADSL at any time, is this true?

And if I can use the method of all connecting to the hub, what will I need?

P.S. Im a networking student lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

DaSilva wrote:
    Which seems to be saying that only one computer could use the ADSL at any time, is this true?
    It might be true for whatever DSL modem that weetHet.nl provide, but with the Netopia that eircom, and the ZyXEL that IOL/ESAT currently provide, it's configured by default as a router that will support multiple PCs on the LAN side.

(If you got the ZyXEL that UTV provide, you'd be out of luck too).

If you got your netopia from eircom before last November or December, though, you might not be able to do this - does your have a USB and an ethernet port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DaSilva wrote:
    Ok just got Eircom broadband and that Nettopia modem (router?)

Anyway, Im getting a small 4port hub tomorow so I can connect the other pc's in the house to the internet.

I know how to do it by making one pc a server and using ICS, having the rest then connected to the Internet through my computer.

Im thinking though, it would be handier if I didnt have to use a server, instead just having all the computers connect to the hub, and also the ADSL modem connected to the Hub also. This sounded fine to me until I read this:
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/adsl_mxstream_pcs.php#1

And if I can use the method of all connecting to the hub, what will I need?

P.S. Im a networking student lol

A couple of things; are you getting adsl, or dsl? I have dsl, but an adsl modem.
    Once your line is activated, you'll need filters (supplied with the modem) for your phone's. Then you can jack in the modem to the phone plug, and thepc to ur modem.
    When I got the modem off eircom (the one with 4 ethernet ports), I was able to browse the net, with my dad browsing from his laptop, @ the same time, off the one modem.

Advertisement