Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chairman

Options
  • 11-09-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just a quick note from the pub at Buswell's. Meeting went quite well, and I'd like to give a shout-out to the new chairman of IrelandOffline, Damien Mulley. He's been a driving force in the group since the AGM, and hopefully will be for a long time.

More posted later.

E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Congratulations Damien!
    Congratulations Irelandoffline!

A shed-load of work is waiting for you.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Congratulaions to both Damien and Adam.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Great news!

Best of luck to Damien and a big thanks to Adam and the interim committee for all the work that was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Congratulations Damien!

I'm bursting to hear news from the EGM. Anybody have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good question, what happened at the meeting? Oh and congrats Damien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yeah, more info, please.

Congrat's to Damien, I suppose that indicates that IrelanOffline has a New Committee elected. So any suggestions that it had run out of steam. Have been well and truly quashed ?... HeeeHeeHeh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Congrats to Damien and all the interim committee too .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Congrats to Damien and the new Committee. From memory there will be a full report from them mid next week. (If you don't attend you have to wait I am afraid!)

I too would like to thank all those who have worked tirelessly since the last AGM which I didn't attend. I am sure that our friends in Government, the Regulatory Agencies and the Corporate world will be glad to hear that IoffL are still around to give guidance where it is needed ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I took notes during the meeting. I'll type them up and post them in a few days.

I most say that I'm very glad to see such a strong committee come together and headed by a very dedicated and hard working new chairman, Damien Mulley.

There is so much energy and enthusiasm in the new committee, yet also a great deal of expertise and knowledge. I hope we will see the same level of enthusiasm and support from the members and supporters of IOFFL :cool:

BTW I would also like to thank Adam for standing up as the interim chairman at the AGM two months ago. He stood up and was counted when we needed him the most. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

I thought it was a very good meeting, well worth travelling to Dublin for.

Not a high turnout but practically everyone there participated by expressing their opinions, whilst there were differences of opinion on the detail, there was virtual unanimity on the need for IOFFL to continue and the broad objectives we should pursue.

Following on the activity of the last few weeks, I came away from yesterday's meeting with a new enthusiasm and the feeling that IOFFL is entering one of its most exciting phases ever.

Congrats to Damien, I believe he will be an outstanding Chairman, and many thanks to Adam for stepping into the breech at such a vital time.

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

At the risk of this becoming a "me too" thread...

I'd like to thank all who came to the meeting and concur that it was great to
    see the unanimity at the prospect of Iofl continuing.

The new chair Damien is an excellent choice and we all look forward
    to seeing the fruits of his tenure:)

The only sad note was the departure of Adam from the position and we
    hopefully will have lots of contributions from him in the future.

Here's wishing the new chair and all on the committee the best of luck
    in the future of our very important endevours.

Telecomms here is in a very sorry state and we need strong voices to counter and to balance the corporate wishful thinking of the "incumbent"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Thanks for all the congratulations but I wouldn't be chairman today and IrelandOffline wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for a small few people stepping forward at the AGM in Athlone back in July. Those few people saved IrelandOffline and built it back up. And those people all followed the lead of Adam Beecher.

Adam was IrelandOffline's Moses (and he even looked like him previous to the AGM). We'll hopefully get Ireland to the promised land and when we do we should not forget what Adam did.

While Adam may not be the chair or on the committee he'll still be around. Are you listening to this Eircom, ComReg and everyone else who need to change their ways to make this a true broadband Ireland ? To paraphrase some guy called Gerry "He's not gone away you know. "

The turnout yesterday could have been better as has been said but the people that did arrive were all passionate and all want things to change. We were all in agreement that we no longer want to sit back and leave our communication systems crumble. We're going to star making noise, start educating and I have zero doubt that we will make an impact.

To do this though we need to channel our anger, passions, our frustrations and our contempt, unite under a plan and direct our energy to make the changes. It can't be just a small few doing all the work as has been in the past. All the previous chairs almost burned themselves out for IrelandOffline. This is not going to happen again.

All members need to start devoting time to IrelandOffline, be it 30 hours, 30 minutes or 30 seconds a week. Trust me, it took 30 seconds to find 4 lines in a ComReg document that stated they've known about the line failure rate for 21 months. So even a tiny amount of time will make a difference.

And now let me welcome the new committee (you know some of us already)

Gareth aka viking
    John aka jwt
    Martin aka DonegalMan
    Eamonn aka Bealtaine
    Seamus aka Sceptre
    Brian aka bk
    Damien aka damien.m
    Aidan aka Moriarty
    DeRebel

Thanks to Adam -Dahamsta, Ronan - Ronan|Raven and Elana -Ekehoe

Elana is staying around in an administrative role. (Making cups of tea and stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll make it to one of these things yet. It was decided that the other half's going away bash would be yesterday, so nipping out to go to an EGM would have been....well, you get the idea.

Congrats Damien. No better man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Congrats Damien and best of luck.
    Good to see you quoted in some detail in the Sunday Business Post today also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Good to see you quoted in some detail in the Sunday Business Post today also.
    Link to the article is here

P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Glad to see it went well, due to circumstances beyond my control I couldnt make it. Some of the "new" faces of commitee make me cockels warm to see such a good team up there and hopefully they will continue to keep the "big boys" of the irish telecom world on their toes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Um, could we tone down the "moses" stuff please? I ran IrelandOffline for two months and did bugger all while I was there. Enough already.

Best of luck to the new committee. Give them hell.

adam

Advertisement