Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an Intraweb

Options
  • 11-09-2004 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Hope this is the right place for this. If its not feel free to move it @ mods.

I've just started to mess around with ASP.NET and I decided that it would be cool to be able to put it to some use (and get more networking experience in the process).

So I set up IIS on the pc that will be the server. I have another machine that I used to LAN to the 'server'. I had a page hosted at the time but I wasnt able to access it.

What I want to be able to do is build a web application that can be accessed from a small gaming LAN that myself and my mates set up regularly. Not sure what it will be used for yet though!

So I am really just wondering what I have to do to set up something like this?

Does every machine have to have IIS installed?

Any help would be appreciated... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

gobby wrote:
    So I set up IIS on the pc that will be the server. I have another machine that I used to LAN to the 'server'. I had a page hosted at the time but I wasnt able to access it.
    Are you able to access the webpage if you run IE on the server machine itself?

Can you ping the server from the other machine? Have you turned of the Totally inappropriately named "friendly error messages" in IE on the client machine (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced). If you disable that, you should at least get to see if the server is sending you an error message that might explain what the problem is. And lastly, have you checked the IIS log files on the web server (C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\W3SVC1\ex040911.log by default) to see whether the server is seeing the request, and what statuscode is it recording if it does see it?
    gobby wrote:
    Does every machine have to have IIS installed?
    No - IIS is the web server, and you only need it on the server machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Ripwave wrote:
    Are you able to access the webpage if you run IE on the server machine itself?

Can you ping the server from the other machine? Have you turned of the Totally inappropriately named "friendly error messages" in IE on the client machine (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced). If you disable that, you should at least get to see if the server is sending you an error message that might explain what the problem is. And lastly, have you checked the IIS log files on the web server (C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\W3SVC1\ex040911.log by default) to see whether the server is seeing the request, and what statuscode is it recording if it does see it?
    No - IIS is the web server, and you only need it on the server machine.
    I can access it on my machine (web server) through internet explorer. I can also ping each machine from the other but when I try to access the server I just get a dial screen for the internet. Hmmm... I guess I could try to disable the internet connection and see what happens then.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Yeah, you need to get the client machine to route out through the LAN, so you'll have to set your connection settings so that it doesn't try to dial out via the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, sounds like Internet Explorer is set up to dial a connection, every time it is started.

To fix it, select Tools->internet options->Connections. Make sure the 'Never dial a connection' is selected.

Let us know if that does the trick.

Advertisement