Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple question concerning the good friday agreement

Options
  • 11-09-2004 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Ok so with the agreement, northern irish people are entitled to Irish citizenship.

My questions are

a)I'd assume that even though they are entitled to citizenship they would have to go through admin procedures so until they are completed you are not a citizen of the republic of ireland

b) What's the general defination of nationally ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Hmmmmm. I am not sure exactly how it works. After the recent Citizenship referendum I believe new laws may be on the way whererby the person would need to prove they have a parent born on this island to get Citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ronano wrote:
    Ok so with the agreement, northern irish people are entitled to Irish citizenship.

People born in the North were entitled to be Irish citizenship before the agreement. Since nothing has actually changed since the referendum I presume it is still the same.

If you lived in the north and wanted an irish passport you simply had to fill in the form. The same form as people from the south, no extra sections or anything.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MrPudding wrote:
    If you lived in the north and wanted an irish passport you simply had to fill in the form. The same form as people from the south, no extra sections or anything.
    Isn't there some sort of affirmation they need to sign in addition?

[edit] details here, it's just fuzzies about births certs and marriage certs http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/services/passports/01.asp

Advertisement