Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY 2nd Digibox/quad LNB setup questions

• 11-09-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭

After what started with a question on Chorus vs Sky on a previous thread, I've been convinced by the excellent arguments from sceptre among others to go to a quad lnb with 2nd box and ftv card from ebay.

- Where can I get a cheap digibox in Ireland? (I've seen them from €40-€125 on buy and sell)
    - Technically, how complicated is this to do?
    - Does the present lnb 'snap' off or are there screws at the side?
    - Will the dish be disturbed in the change?
    - Does the present cable come away (screwed?) easily and be re-attached?
    - Is there a specific cable i should use?
    - Is there step-by-step instruction somewhere on the web?

Thanks again, as you may gather my technical ability is limited :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Where can I get a cheap digibox in Ireland? (I've seen them from €40-€125 on buy and sell)

You have answered your own question here, there are plenty of second hand boxes to be had cheaply now, B&S and ebay are the most obvious the odd one gets offered on boards as well. If you want cheap then it will most likely be a pace box, avoid amstrads if you can but I reccomend you pay a bit more and get a Panasonic, they are lightning fast and reliable.
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Technically, how complicated is this to do?

Not very complicated, unless you are like those DIY disaster people that are always on those BBC programmes ;)
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Does the present lnb 'snap' off or are there screws at the side?

There is a pin (or is it a screw? I can't remember now!) on the top of the dish arm, the sky LNB has an in-built attachment that slots into the dish arm. That is why a replacement LNB must have this arm or a suitable attachment, these are not used with regular dishes.
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Will the dish be disturbed in the change?

Not if you are careful, I have heard some people say that the extra weight of a quad LNB pulls the dish down but from my own experience I do not believe this is true.
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Does the present cable come away (screwed?) easily and be re-attached?

Yes, it is a screw-on connector (called an "F connector") that is sealed with tape, carefully unwrap or cut off the tape and unscrew the connector from the LNB. Then attach it to the new LNB and wrap with tape. Self-amalgamating tape is what you should use, it provides a long term waterproof seal wheras regular electrical tape will let water in after a year or two.
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Is there a specific cable i should use?

Yes, CT100 is reccomended, if you cannot find it by name make sure the cable you buy is thick with a solid core and a double sheilding of copper braiding and aluminium foil.
    Dr. Nick wrote:
    - Is there step-by-step instruction somewhere on the web?

I don't know if there are any that deal with that specific task but there are several that detail similar tasks. I don't have any links to hand but I am sure a quick google search would probably weed them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I don't know if there are any that deal with that specific task but there are several that detail similar tasks. I don't have any links to hand but I am sure a quick google search would probably weed them out.

Think you've just covered it all -thanks for the comprehensive reply. If I've any more questions, I'll know where to go.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

what u show may work but to be on the safe side get the real thing like this one and these are good prices

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60838&item=5718834274&rd=1

email about p&p to ireland and u may be surprised.

gb--

Bought box and card from ebay, arrived today and working well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

a good result, and gald u are sorted.

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote:
    a good result, and gald u are sorted.

gb--

Not out of the woods yet.....quad lnb to be put up etc. :eek:

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Not out of the woods yet.....quad lnb to be put up etc. :eek:

Got everything sorted and working this evening (after a few hairy moments like seeing our portable tv fall 4 feet onto a wooden floor, but yet survive ;), also looking at a blank screen for 90 mins before working out that it was the scart that was faulty!)

One last question, if I run a regular tv lead between both boxes and tvs, will I be able to see all available stations on both cards on both tvs?

Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement