Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cable Broadband Installion Question

• 11-09-2004 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have a question, maybe one of you tech heads could help me out :) NTL are sending someone out to my place on Monday to install their 1500kbps cable broadband service. Would I be more or less right in saying that the technician will simply run a coaxial line from our TV-cable outlet into the modem, then run a cat 5 cable from the modem into our computer and tap a fixed IP addy into the net properties on this machine? Is that all there is to it? Maybe I'm completely wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Just about...

Don’t need fixed IP on your machine, it'll pick one up (nerds calls DHCP or something like that).

The standard modem model they use can connect via CAT5 or USB. So you can use either to connect.

Should be pretty painless… All they need to get right is enabling the MAC address on the modem back in NTL land.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cable broadband :D

Wookie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Pretty good synopsis of the installation on the ntl site here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Does it make any difference if you use USB or Ethernet? What if you intend adding a wireless access point at a later date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does it make any difference if you use USB or Ethernet? What if you intend adding a wireless access point at a later date?
    The modem they supply is both USB and Ethernet compatible. It comes in a box with both cables too, so if you want to have it USB for the time being, and change to ethernet later, just make sure he leaves both cables there (not that they're particularly expensive anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I went ahead and had cable installed coming from attic through to hotpress down right beside computer...had loads of cabling in shed.i knew they might throw a cable up over roof down to back of house where computer is and i didnt want them drilling anything.but they were more than happy with the way i had it for them as it was there last drop on a friday...took them minutes to install it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I went ahead and installed cable myself coming from attic through to hotpress down right beside computer...had loads of cabling in shed.i knew they might throw a cable up over roof down to back of house where computer is and i didnt want them drilling anything.but they were more than happy with the way i had it for them as it was there last drop on a friday...took them minutes to install it.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I got usb first and I thought if i go the ethernet after i might run into problems.
    But i was well wrong. thing went perfect., one thing i did notice was that if I used up all the bandwidth while using usb my connection went dead(nearly postive this was upload was using p2p a lot) i think it was due to my lack of ram though...

Advertisement