Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could one call Monkey Island a RPG ?

Options
  • 09-05-2001 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

This is to settle an arguement, please respond
    smile.gif

RentZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually it's an Adventure game. Or at least what it would be classed as.

I was thinking about prehaps getting this forum renamed to something like RP/Adventure as I just recently got Myst III:Exile and I have oodles of questions. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

No, it ain't an RPG.
    Hobbes, when is the last time you saw a post for an adventure game? I think that once you beat myst the genre will be gone again.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

No it ain't an RPG. Compter games are for now too linier to be classed as an RPG although manufacturers do ub them such in order to latch onto the existing small market.

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

point and click.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I believe that genre such as the Monkey Islands, Sam'n'Max hit the road, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle (all LucasArts strangely enough wink.gif) - is known as "Graphic Adventures" and while it's a distant cousin, it's not the same as an RPG.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 10-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Digital Tilmitt

Its kinda a RPG cause you get to make choices but not a true RPG like Final Fantasy. tongue.gif

Booyaka

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magwitch:
    No it ain't an RPG. Compter games are for now too linier to be classed as an RPG although manufacturers do ub them such in order to latch onto the existing small market.

</font>

What defines a RPG game in computers? Not if the game is Linear or not (a game can have a linear main plot and multiple non-linear subplots. eg. BG2).

You play one or more roles within that game.

What sets it apart from an adventure game? Well basically your role/s can be set by you and your actions effect the outcome of your character (even if the overall plot is linear).

This is why games like "Deus Ex" and "System Shock 2" loosely fall into the RPG genre instead of shoot-em-up.

Baulders Gate 2 would be more an adventure game if you couldn't choose your characters and work on thier skills or outcomes within the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

nah its not an rpg theres no choices about ur character u can make u dont even choose name .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep, I gotta go with Hobbes on that.

However, BG2 and the entire BG and Icewind dale series are waaay to linear for my liking (BG2 was an improvement though), NWN will be the main milestone in true computer RPG.

Making your own character is not the definition of roleplaying, being able to decide what that character reacts like based on his personality.. that is roleplaying. and I suppose having the freedom to approach an adventure in a variety of way.

there's a point, does anyone have a clear definition of what an RPG is (not rocket propelled grenade by the way)? sort of an industry standard?

Meanwhile, Daggerfall.. that was a good Rpg/adventure.

Anyway, technically Monkey island was a graphic adventure as Bard said.

Advertisement