Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Networking Help

• 11-09-2004 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Ok i have a wireless network setup (netgear DSGsomething or other) and i currently am sharing DSL between them which is grand. Both are using wireless cards.What i want to do now is set up filesharing along with so i can swap files between the two PC's and maybe network game or two. How do i go about doing this! I cant use the wizard as the wireless cards dont show up,only the onboard NIC's.Ive tried just sharing files and going to "my network places" but it wont let me see files on the other PC.Is it all a firewall problem or what?What do i need to change?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume you have a router? First thing to do is to make sure that both wireless adapters have file and printer sharing for Microsoft networks installed, and Client for microsoft networks.
    Add thmem both to a workgroup, and set the share permissions on the directories you want to share. They should be able to see eachother then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yea, thats what i though, i did that and doesnt work, nothing shows up except the PC im on.Ill try again though.

ok, ive bein trying for ages now and it just wont work, ive searched google and got a bit of help but still no success.

Here it is in full

the main problem i have is, one PC can see the other computer (and acess its files) but the second one can't, it gets the error:

"you might not have permission to use this network resource.....
    the user has not been granted the rewuested login type at this computer"

So,i Have a wireless connection with a Wireless Access point Router Modem. It shares the BB to our laptop (Win XPHome) and our desktop (WinXPPro).Grand. They both have norton antivirus, and i have configured it to allow the IP 192.168.0.2 on one and 192.168.0.3 on the other so its not a firewall issue. They both are under the same workgroup and both have files shared with (what seems) the right permissions.they both can ping each other but still, one can see the other, but the other cant see one!(The XP home cant see the XP pro-this may be important)

so can anyone help?

And Mod's, If this is more appropiate in the Nets/Comms boards, please move it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Make sure Netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on both machines. Its in the Tcp/ip Properties for the card on the advanced/wins tab.

Make sure a user account for each user is on both machines.

Also try connecting directly to each machine. Try both these ways :
    1. type \\MACHINENAME in the address bar. (MachineName is obviously the actual name of the machine)

2. type \\192.168.0.2 from the .3 machine or \\192.168.0.3 from the .2 machine.

You should then be able to see the shared folders on each even if they are not showing up in Network Neighbourhood.

we have to have the same user names? didnt know that.
    both computers can see each other in the Workgroup section of My network places.Just that only one of them can acess the other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

happened myself and the brother (he cud see me, i cudnt see him), he reformatted and it was grand, so obviously something needed to be re-installed!!

ah thank god not. I think the username did it. Not sure though.Lets hope.Thanks for the help.

I have another question though.I want to share whole Drives on these computers, will this cause any security issues, is it dangerous to do so?im thinking of sharing the whole C:/ on one of them.On the other one, the drive is partitioned into Music, Games etc, so i dont think it will be too much of a prob on that on, no? I have Norton Internet Sec. on both machines im just afraid that there might be some holes in the network as it will be the two computers shared, going into a router/acess point.

[EDIT]mother******,not working again.i hate computers[/EDIT]

[EDIT][EDIT] Suddenly works....i love computers[/EDIT][/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TimAy wrote:
    ah thank god not. I think the username did it. Not sure though.Lets hope.Thanks for the help.

I have another question though.I want to share whole Drives on these computers, will this cause any security issues, is it dangerous to do so?im thinking of sharing the whole C:/ on one of them.On the other one, the drive is partitioned into Music, Games etc, so i dont think it will be too much of a prob on that on, no? I have Norton Internet Sec. on both machines im just afraid that there might be some holes in the network as it will be the two computers shared, going into a router/acess point.

[EDIT]mother******,not working again.i hate computers[/EDIT]

[EDIT][EDIT] Suddenly works....i love computers[/EDIT][/EDIT]
    Security-wise, I would always recommend not sharing out a whole drive, and only sharing out those folders that you need. Windows shares are subject to quite a bit of attack as it is, no need to give an attacker or virus a front door to interfere with your system files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I have the same issue intermittendly with the lappie.
    The user names need NOT be the same but the network name must be identical.
    It seems to be an issue with Windows autoconfiguration. If I enabled that, i.e. the allowed Window to the configure the lappies network and auto-assign the IP address, it assigned a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which did not match the other two machines (255.255.255.0).
    If that is the case, you can configure the network settings manually. Check your network's IP settings by opening a DOS box and type: ipconfig. Do that for all machines & compare. IF the subnet masks are different there's your problem.
    You can also check, once you have the machine's individual IP's whether they can reach each other over the network by typing ping 192.168.x.xx (obviously use the ip shown for the other computer with the ipconfig command).

With regard to security, your router should have a firewall, that'll give you basic protection from the outside. Internally either you trust the other users or install PC firewalls on each PC for a second barrier.

HTH,

Well with that problem solved, i have another!(i didnt wana make a new topic)
    Anyway, The laptop is sharing the internet (and now files) from a router, along with the PC upstairs, thing is, the Laptop keeps losing the connection when it is shut down, lid closed, logged out etc, which is really annying as it has to be reconnected to the router everytime. (by reselecting the Netowork and reentering the WEP code-the WEp could be the problem) Basically it keeps losing its connection. What could be the problem? The Router is a Netgear DSG something somethingif thats important.

• Advertisement

no one has any idea about the problem above no?
    Would be of great helP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Are you using Windows XP or your network card's connection manager to connect to the network ?
    Windows XP should remember the wireless parameters (SSID, WEP key, ...) so that you don't have to enter it each time. If you're using a conection manager provided with your network card it should be the same ...

If you're using Windows XP, make sure your network is in the "favorite networks" list like in the following screenshot. Sorry, I have a french version of Windows but you'll probably find the equivalent window easily (wireless connection properties, second tab).

Clipboard01.png

Advertisement