Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

delay the loading of text.

Options
  • 12-09-2004 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

on my clans web site in my sig (www.gamebashers.net) when it loads upd you see the text before the images load up. just wondering is there a way around this like delaying the load of the text (by some kind of html code) so that it loads when all the images are being displayed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

This is the way HTML is suppossed to work.

However, if you dont include height and width for your images, some browsers will delay the entire page paint until everything is downloaded. Of course, then people might thing your server was too slow, or that it had stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you can make the HTML validate you will find that it loads a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm in the process of doing that, cheers

blacknight wrote:
    If you can make the HTML validate you will find that it loads a lot better.
    But, on a site with perfectly valid HTML, the text will display before the images. That's what's suppossed to happen - so people can start reading the page without having to wait for the images to download.

Cr3m0 wants the images and text to appear at the same time. Validating the HTML won't help with that - no matter how optimised and valid your html is its not going to make the images download any quicker.

What you could do is have a splash page which uses javascript to preload the images. But, tbh, that would annoy me more than the images apperaing after the text ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

okay i'll suppose we can live with it, i still will validate the html as to bring it to standards (Dreamweaver newbie here), www.w3.org is the place to go isn't it?

• Advertisement

Cr3m0 wrote:
    okay i'll suppose we can live with it, i still will validate the html as to bring it to standards (Dreamweaver newbie here), www.w3.org is the place to go isn't it?
    run the page through http://validator.w3.org
    Fix all the errors.

Rinse, repeat as necessary.

You'll probably find it difficult to get things like forum software to validate without rewriting most of it though...

Advertisement