Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

random filename?

Options
  • 12-09-2004 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

does anyone recognise the filename smcfg.exe? i'm trying to track a virus. This thing looks suspect, does anyone else haqve the file, think its in c:\windows\ folder. Any help will be greeted with beer and cookies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

After googling for the filename, it appears to be a part of a driver distribution for a modem... it's also mentioned a number of times as being picked up by anti-spyware apps.
    I don't have it on my PC anyway, and I don't recognise it as anything windows needs.
    I'd say right-click/properties it and have a look in version info to see if there's anything official looking there... maybe try renaming it or removing it from startup then see if anything stops working.
    I'm always suspicious of startup exe's that appear to do nothing, tbh I wouldn't say it'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Moved. You'll get more helpful answers here.

See the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING thread on Security ? Read it before posting.

Advertisement