Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA referees

• 12-09-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is about English referees, but they all seem to be incompetant at doing their job. There were many a blatant penalties and cards not given in yesterday's premiership action. The most obvious one being in the Newcastle vs Blackburn match, when some guy took down Bowyer in the box but Newcastle weren't rewarded the penalty. If it were a referee from another country, there would have been a penalty rewarded straight away.

And managers like Chris Coleman and Mourinho that make a stand against these attrocious decisions by FA referees get punished, not the referees. Something has to be done to discipline these referees, or else English football just ain't worth watching anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

I think the ref in the Arsenal v Fulham game changing his decision, and admitting that he was influenced by the players reaction, is worrying. The ref and his assistants should work as a team. If the ref had any doubt he should have gone straight to his assistant (or if the assistant had an opinion he should have gone staring to the ref.) before any players were allowed to get involved. I know it’s easier said than done what with keeping the flow of the game etc., but the officials should be ready to consult each other when they are not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I was disgusted with the refereeing in the Norwich vs Arsenal match. Lauren should've been sent off whem Huckerby was running through, instead he consulted his "assistant" and then booked him. Lauren should've still been sent off during the game but got a talking to. I know we need points and this doesnt help when the big guns get the referee's favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

actually if you listened to the post-match interviews , Graham Poll had given Lauren a yellow card for an incident that happened a few seconds before .

It was the 'assistant ref' who had seen the incident and was about to signal it to the ref (using a button on his flag , I had no idea they had these until then) but he dropped his flag and signalled when he picked it up (the same time as Lauren committed the second foul) and the ref gave the free , and went over to his linesman .

So the free was for an earlier incident and that explains why Lauren wasn't sent off .

I beleive Poll admitted he would have had to sent Lauren off for the second foul had he not commited the first .

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

The changing of mind by the ref in the Arsenal Fulham game was a joke. Not saying it was/wasn't a penalty but once he gave it how can he change his mind based on player reaction?

So Fulham didn't go ecstatic? Fair enough they still had to put the ball in the net and were playing against a team who hadn't lost in over 40 games.

And naturally Arsenal were going to dispute the penalty. Teams always do no matter how blatant or not it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ref said that Andy coles reaction by thumping the ground as if he'd missed a good chance put some doubt in his mind. He then decided to consult his assistant (who had a better view) who said it wasnt a peno. He used his head and fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Ref said that Andy coles reaction by thumping the ground as if he'd missed a good chance put some doubt in his mind. He then decided to consult his assistant (who had a better view) who said it wasnt a peno. He used his head and fair play to him.
    Yes, but he already made the decision to give the penalty, no matter whether Fulham deserved that penalty or not, it was still a penalty because the referee gave it.
    I think the FA should really implement a rule in the referees' rules book that the referee cannot change his mind whether he thought he was wrong to have made the decision in the first place. Referees should be in the game to stamp authority on decisions, otherwise what's the point in having a referee at all?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If the referee feels he's made a mistake and there is still time to correct it I don't really see the problem.

Still, it was poor refereeing in the first place to have given the penalty without giving it some thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It never happened to United, the Gunners must pay more. :D

Only joking of course fair play to the ref its easy to make a mistake in the heat of the moment and it must have been a tough decision to reverse it. Pity more don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The notion of a referee should not be able to change his mind when the decision is made is stupid. What are his linesmen for? Are you saying that this is the first time yo uhave seen a ref change his decision after consulting the linesman? The players reaction do say alot also. But this carry on happens every where. Sure look at the Italian who did the Wales NI match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Demeant0r wrote:
    Yes, but he already made the decision to give the penalty, no matter whether Fulham deserved that penalty or not, it was still a penalty because the referee gave it.
    I think the FA should really implement a rule in the referees' rules book that the referee cannot change his mind whether he thought he was wrong to have made the decision in the first place. Referees should be in the game to stamp authority on decisions, otherwise what's the point in having a referee at all?

you are a Fulham fan , I think that explains you're post , becuase the idea of refs not being able to change their mind is stupid .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

B-K-DzR wrote:
    He then decided to consult his assistant (who had a better view) who said it wasnt a peno. He used his head and fair play to him.

Be he only consulted his linesman after the Arsenal players had their say, he should have gone straingt to the linesman and then made his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

personally i think refs should do alot more consulting with theo other officals like in rugby. I dont think they should be allowed to change their minds; his mind should be made up before he makes his decision known.

On the other hand i dont agree wit players getting away wit dissent any back chat should mean instant yellow, reversal of frees etc. This once again is something that works efficiently in rugby, watch a game and u will see the players have much more respect for the ref. Why cant it be the same in soccer?

Advertisement