Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP on a PentiumIII?

Options
  • 12-09-2004 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me if XP would run ok on a Pentium III 500 MHz PC with 320Mb of RAM ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Yes it would run fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was running XP fine on a P3 650 laptop with 512mb of ram for ages.

i don't see why not.

i even had it running on a P2 233 with 128mb of ram once (just to prove a point). it wasn't pretty, but it booted up and with some encoutragement and a lot of swap file usage it worked as a P2P client and file/print server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

JimiMac it should work fine on those specs.

If you need extra speed, revert back to the Windows Classic theme, and it'll speed things up a bit. Also disable all the 'menu shadows' and alpha texturing etc for more speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have XP running on a Celeron PPGA 433 with 256MB so I'd say it'd be fine on a PIII. As Colm says though, dissable shadows etc if you find it to be a bit slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

We used to test SBS 2000 (full install) on a PIII 500 with 384Mb RAM!!

Talk about stress testing! (both me and the machine!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Running XP on a 333mhz PII laptop with 64MB ram.

Oh yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks for the replies.I'll give it a go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vibe666 wrote:
    i even had it running on a P2 233 with 128mb of ram once (just to prove a point). it wasn't pretty, but it booted up and with some encoutragement and a lot of swap file usage it worked as a P2P client and file/print server.
    Windows 3.11 on an XT with CGA graphics. (use the windows 3.0 driver)
    Windows 95 on 386 SX 16MHz with 4MB ram - 15 minutes to boot ...

It all depends on what you mean by "run" as opposed to amble along
    Also look up all the services you can stop - and remove wallpaper and screen savers etc so less memory is needed. Also limit the SW you install to keep the registry to a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yes it should work okay on a P3 500MHz. I wouldn't go much lower though.

My brother runs Windows XP on a P3 500 with 256MB Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Should run fine except for a little jerkyness in Internet Explorer if you have too many windows open. If u have problems switch to Opera or another browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've XP running well on a p3-450 laptop with 384 megs of RAM. GF has it running on her p3-500 desktop with 128 (her needs are a little less than mine but it runs fine on hers). Before I upgraded the laptop RAM from 128 I noticed that IE wasn't as fast as it could/should be but that's OK as I never use it. And I turn off things like the mouse pointer shadow as a matter of course as it does nothing for me. I'm thinking of putting it on the desktop at the next format/reinstall (p3-500, 256) so the little lady can use her account without having to log mine off.

The key for XP is memory (the graphics card can come into play too if you don't turn off all the useless crap that they spent years working on but mine's only an 8 meg ATI card and I haven't noticed any bottlenecks from that). If you've 320 megs of memory it'll run nicely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The bit that amazes me is that so many people have (obviously) bought a dedicated retail or corporate license for XP that is worth a lot more than the PC it's running on ;)
    or youze are all students and got a good deal on the academic edition

Advertisement