Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting NTL (Cable) Canceling IOL BB

• 13-09-2004 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering, is NTL BB any good, 1.5mb sounds impressive but what are the pings & DL speeds really like.

Thanks JoePC

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

pings to uk gaming servers are great, ones that come to mind are jolt for gaming, downlaoding games off blueyonder and superb,
    currenty download planetside demo now at 185kb/s so how much more can yea complain? for €35 per month? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Lenny wrote:
    pings to uk gaming servers are great, ones that come to mind are jolt for gaming, downlaoding games off blueyonder and superb,
    currenty download planetside demo now at 185kb/s so how much more can yea complain? for €35 per month? :)

I thought the 1.5 was 50?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I thought the 1.5 was 50?
    I was told the same
    But I got the weirdest leter in the door
    "we have noticed that you aren't usuing your ntl-dialup service anymore, so we have decied to cancel this, so we have credited you back x ammount of €15per month that you have been paying this over charge over the past few months, and your 1.5MB service will now only cost you €35 p/m
    But yet 2 years on, I have yet to still recieve a ntl bill for my cable modem.....

Lenny wrote:
    I was told the same
    But I got the weirdest leter in the door
    "we have noticed that you aren't usuing your ntl-dialup service anymore, so we have decied to cancel this, so we have credited you back x ammount of €15per month that you have been paying this over charge over the past few months, and your 1.5MB service will now only cost you €35 p/m
    But yet 2 years on, I have yet to still recieve a ntl bill for my cable modem.....

So it IS 50 then is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aye

• Advertisement

So it IS 50 then is it?
    AFAIK I think it is 50 per month, but I got that letter about me paying too muc per month(which I never paid at all) so hopefully someon else can coment?
    but its not like its a rip off, its still by far the best ISP out there..
    Since sep1th I've downloaded 35 gigs of movei trailers and shareware sortware and like every month it does be grand with them... most I ever downloaded was 113gigs in one month, so thier "guideline" is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

What about cancelling IOLBB early what are the costs, I dont want to wait another 2 months for proper DL's..........
    I'll make a few calls tomorow.

I don't know anything about any other BB companys, NTL is what was offered to me first and I think its still the only one, and I took it and I am well happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 str1fe

I'm having their 1500kbps package installed in about umm 9 hours :D Maybe that's why I can't sleep!

Str1fe's internet timeline...

1994 (28K) 1996 (36K) 1998 (56K) 2004 (1500K) LOL

str1fe wrote:
    1994 (28K) 1996 (36K) 1998 (56K) 2004 (1500K) LOL
    You may want to ajust that to,
    1994 (28K) 1996 (36K) 1998 (56K) 1999(ISDN 128)2000 (512) 2002(600) 2003(1000) 2004(1500)

:)

• Advertisement

Wow lenny you've changed services quite a few times huh? Hmmm the jump from 56 to 1500K is scary. I think I'm gonna be afraid of my computer for a while, with my retroness :cool:

Well considering ntl cable chooose my area as the first area to choose.. :)

Yeah man I know a couple of people out in Tallaght and you biatches have had access for yonks, I finally catch up har har

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Can you get BB from them if you don't use them for TV?

No Mak, you have to be an NTL cable tv customer to avail of their broadband services (their cable modem uses the tv line) Luckily I already am.

Makaveli wrote:
    Can you get BB from them if you don't use them for TV?
    I only found outthat yea have to have the cable tv from form about 2 months ago, but who doesn't have the cable tv from the,m it only costs AFAIK 12e a month, and the hole family survives on that price but still if yea include that its still in a league of of its own compaired to any other BB provider...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

hows it goin str1fe im in pretty much the same situation as yerself and im also very interested to find out how much iolbb are going to charge me if i end the contract early , anyone out there know? (its too late to phone the buggers at this stage and i cant find it anywhere on their website)

I have no idea what the deal is on bailing out of a contract like that, working day in the morning anyway, you can give them a call then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

ah its a working night for me at the mo , ill be asleep during the day , still i can phone em on my next day off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lenny wrote:
    but who doesn't have the cable tv from them

I don't. Sky Digital only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I cant get NTL cable, not in my area yet, that fooking sucks.........

Lenny wrote:
    I only found outthat yea have to have the cable tv from form about 2 months ago, but who doesn't have the cable tv from the,m it only costs AFAIK 12e a month, and the hole family survives on that price but still if yea include that its still in a league of of its own compaired to any other BB provider...

A friend of mine is waiting 2 yrs for NTL to give him cable TV in D.15....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Makaveli wrote:
    I don't. Sky Digital only.
    You can't get it without at least a basic TV package, but NTL's basic TV package works out much cheaper than Eircom line rental, so if you can do without a landline, you can get a better and cheaper broadband service over cable than DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

seamus wrote:
    You can't get it without at least a basic TV package, but NTL's basic TV package works out much cheaper than Eircom line rental, so if you can do without a landline, you can get a better and cheaper broadband service over cable than DSL.

And sure you can stick a TV card in your PC

STaN wrote:
    And sure you can stick a TV card in your PC
    WHat he said there doesn't have anything to do with a tv card in a pc?
    But sure yea could always use one of them can't yea?

Advertisement