Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy builders from the 70's

Options
  • 13-09-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Im in the market for a 3 bed semi in south Dublin at the moment. I have heard stories of dodgy builders that built houses in the 70's and used crappy materials to cut costs and eventually went bust.

I am looking at house in Knocklyon that was built in the 70's. How do I go about finding out who built the house and whether or not they were reputable?

Would really appreciate any help at all here as I dont want to get this massive purchase wrong.

Thanks

Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Wavey wrote:
    Im in the market for a 3 bed semi in south Dublin at the moment. How do I go about finding out who built the house and whether or not they were reputable?

Ah the 70's the glorious time between when builders were fully trained craftsmen, and before proper building legislation/building codes to set standards

So yes that was an awful time for building - having said that, if what you're looking at has stood for 30 years chances are it will easily last that and more again.

Ask the vendor who buit it, see are they still around. Get a good surveyor then.

I wouldn't worry excessively - given its age look at windows and facias/soffits. Have they been replaced? when?
    What about the heating system? How old is the burner?
    Has the attic tank been changed?
    These are more likely issues than structural probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Borzoi says, if it's been standing for a while, it's probably OK, and your main concern is if the house has been modified. There's nothing more to say on top of what Borzoi said. Look for infrastructural wear (pipes, floorboards, electric system, windows) moreso than structural wear.

When we were selling our house in Knocklyon (built late 70s/early 80s) a surveyor commented that the house was missing a huge chunk of part of the A frame in the attic, that it's something we must have done ourselves, as no builder would do such a thing, and was advising the buyer to pull out. Now we definitely hadn't modified that part of the house since it was bought. So we got our own surveyor in who confirmed yes, that a part of the frame was missing, and it probably wouldn't pass a new building check these days, but structurally it was perfectly sound, because whoever had built in more support than needed to the remaining frames and beams to compensate. So the buyers went ahead.

So make sure you get a competent surveyor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it has survived this long, it's likely to survive a bit longer. Things I would look out for a insulation (especially roof and water tank), sound proofing, fire proofing, settlement cracks, windows and penetrating damp and any gunthering of the plumbing (especially tanks, boilers and joints) or electical (fuse board, add-ons) systems. Oh, yeah and the bathroom decor :D

If there is an extension, the join between new and old is likely to be the crunch item.

Expect to have to spend *some* money on renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the advice lads.
    I suppose its really up to me to find a good surveyor to make sure everything is in order.

Oh and it still has the original green bathroom suites :D
    mmm tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

as mentioned earlier:

Consider rewiring,

Consider modernising /replacing / upgrading heating system, cylinder & storage tank

Consider replacing Windows / Doors. And do check out any extensions.

And the main one insulation

IMO houses built up to and including the 70's are far better suited to upgrading and modernising.

Anything built since then is usually mass produced, dry lined, concrete floored (downstairs) dogboxes which cannot be altered without major hassle.

Dont worry if its in its original condition (its a bonus) it wont have been butchered over the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement