Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SP2 refusing to install correctly

Options
  • 13-09-2004 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

What is happening is that during the set up (from cd) it extracts the files fine to a dir on C:, but then nothing happens. The files all lie in situe on the C drive. It doesn't seem to be able to install :/

What could cause this? Or what kind of technical info do i need to give yee to help you figure this out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

browse to the folder where it extracts the files, and go to the update folder and launch update.exe

This will start the GUI mode of setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

In the folder where the files are extracted to, there is no update folder, only a download one. I have tried re-extracting the files a few times, and the extraction tool says it extracts update.exe to that folder, but it doesn't seem to exist within the actual folder.

Possibly a dodgy SP2 CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Where did you get SP2 from?

Is it the full network install version?

What size is the xpsp2.exe file?

Try this:
    In a CMD prompt, type d:\xpsp2.exe /x
    Select a folder to extract the files to
    Then search the folder for an update folder, and update.exe in that folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm ok when i extracted it from the cmd it worked and there was an update folder and all that. But if I click on update.exe I get an error saying:

"Microsoft requires use of the "Machine Assigned" distribution method when using update.msi"

The size of the xpsp2.exe file is 266 MB (278,927,592 bytes)

I got the CD off a magazine cover, I have had one ordered from microsoft for a few weeks tho, so that should turn up next month or so.

This is beginning to annoy me :/ Is there a possibility of the problem being with my machine and not with sp2 itself?

Advertisement