Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Bush team 'knew of abuse' at Guantánamo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Now that I've accepted that Dubya will win this election, posts like this annoy me even more. Not that i disapprove of 'em, it's just that I try to avoid as much coverage of him/his party as possible...All cos it's so darned depressing.

The average voter in the US doesn't care. At all. Those rag-heads down in Guantanamo have it coming. THEY ALL DID SEPTEMBER THE 11TH you know and even if they didn't, they know somebody who did.

The basis for this analysis? Um...not too sure. BUT IT'S TRUE AND WE'RE UNDER ATTACK and and and...

I'm well aware of that unwritten rule about introducing the Nazis into a discussion, but the parallels here of the 'Big Lie' and that if you repeat it often enough it becomes true is rather disturbing. And ultimately no amount of well intentioned Exposés in the Guardian will ever change the fact that assuming this *does* get reported Stateside, Cleetus the slack jawed yokel and his surprisingly urbane well-heeled town-dwelling cousins will still think it's okay, that them there ay-rabs had it a-comin' and that if it keeps America free, then it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Now that I've accepted that Dubya will win this election, posts like this annoy me even more. Not that i disapprove of 'em, it's just that I try to avoid as much coverage of him/his party as possible...All cos it's so darned depressing.

The average voter in the US doesn't care. At all. Those rag-heads down in Guantanamo have it coming. THEY ALL DID SEPTEMBER THE 11TH you know and even if they didn't, they know somebody who did.

The basis for this analysis? Um...not too sure. BUT IT'S TRUE AND WE'RE UNDER ATTACK and and and...

I'm well aware of that unwritten rule about introducing the Nazis into a discussion, but the parallels here of the 'Big Lie' and that if you repeat it often enough it becomes true is rather disturbing. And ultimately no amount of well intentioned Exposés in the Guardian will ever change the fact that assuming this *does* get reported Stateside, Cleetus the slack jawed yokel and his surprisingly urbane well-heeled town-dwelling cousins will still think it's okay, that them there ay-rabs had it a-comin' and that if it keeps America free, then it's okay.

Apologies for annoying you. I can see where your coming from as i've more or less accepted that Bush will win too [SHUDDER].

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Over a 100 of the people there who were jailed for over 2 years in Guantanamo were in fact innocent and released. Turned out that US was offering $5K reward for every taliban captured, so the Northern Alliance just rounded up strangers on the streets and handed them over to the US for the reward.

But we won't have to worry about that when the "execution room" is completed.

I know what Bush and co are doing are bad, but certainly from news reports I've seen not everyone in the US (and government for that matter) feel the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Heh. Rumsfelds last sentence paraphrased :

"Are we as bad as the terorrists? No. So we didn't do anything wrong."

Genius.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

bonkey wrote:

Genius.

jc
    Isn't that like a serial rapist justifying what he did by saying "At least they weren't young boys?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

bonkey wrote:

Genius.

jc

Christ I pray Bush and team dont win again, god help america and the world if they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

bonkey wrote:

Genius.

jc

Rummy the Rhetorical...back in action baby!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In a statement, the Pentagon said Hersh's investigation "apparently contains many of the numerous unsubstantiated allegations and inaccuracies which he has made in the past based upon unnamed sources ... Thus far ... investigations have determined that no responsible official of the Department of Defence approved any programme that could conceivably have authorised or condoned the abuses seen at Abu Ghraib. If any of Mr Hersh's anonymous sources wish to come forward and offer evidence to the contrary, the department welcomes them to do so."

This at least is true - Hersh hasnt got much more than unnamed sources. So if you want to believe it then grand, if not theres nothing compelling. Certainly, despite this being story of the century, pulitizer prize winning, Bush presidency destroying material if provable no witness is willing to name themselves?

By the way, a former Kerry aide told me John Kerry was a coward who inflicted 3 wounds on himself to get out of Vietnam, the first one within hours of beginning service in Vietnam. No, I wont name the source. Hey maybe I should ask Hersh to write a book with me about it?

As for Rumsfeld he should have either resigned or been sacked back when Abu Gharib broke and it became clear how long Rumsfeld was sitting on the photos. Hes just a liability at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sand wrote:
    This at least is true - Hersh hasnt got much more than unnamed sources.

No he's also got Justice Department memos, the Red Cross and the grunts on the ground saying basically the same thing.
    Then there's the Guardian story where Rummy admits it.
    Hes just a liability at this stage.

No he's one the guys who is actually running things. Bush could barely run a baseball team (with alot of help and tax dollars)...much less a country.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    By the way, a former Kerry aide told me John Kerry was a coward who inflicted 3 wounds on himself to get out of Vietnam, the first one within hours of beginning service in Vietnam. No, I wont name the source. Hey maybe I should ask Hersh to write a book with me about it?

At least he went to Nam unlike that pice of garbage Bush and his ghoul Cheney

Sand wrote:

At least he went to Nam unlike that piece of garbage Bush and his ghoul Cheney

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

OMG I agree with Sand! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Hobbes wrote:
    OMG I agree with Sand! :eek:

I know....I'm scared too children

Advertisement