Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital TV from Wales in Shankill possible?

• 13-09-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if receiving Digital TV from Wales in Shankill is possible? I live at the top of a hill and we have an old UHF aerial with which we can receive HTV, S4C etc.
    I'd like to try Freeview if it were possible - Does anyone have any experience in the Dun Laoighre to Bray Area of getting Digital from Wales (apparently Killiney head blocks our view for reception from the North)?

Also, Any suggestions on where I might buy a suitably large aerial & STB?

Thanks
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Digital TV from Wales in Shankill possible?

No. There is only one transmitter from Wales receivable in Ireland that broadcasts DTT and Shankill is too far north to get a good signal.

You are probably using arfon which doesn't have freeview.
    Presely is the only workable one on the East coast from wales and its very unrelaiable north of Wicklow town.

Answer is 99% definite - no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

I have occasionally received freeview from both the Llanddona and Winter Hill transmitters, but only when the weather permits the signals to travel further than normal. It might only happen three days out of every two months or so, and if you are watching a program, there's no guarantee you'd see the end of it. So it's not a practical means of reception here.

I'm near Stillorgan, ( no jokes please! ), so I'm inland, and there is a small hill to the east which probably doesn't help.

You would need to have your aerial horizontally polarised, and pointing towards the East, or slightly North of East to pick up anything. ( Usually the analogue signals from the above transmitters will be really strong at these times)

Yes that might be the 1%
    You'd improve your chances by having the proper grouped aerial and amp for those transmitters.
    But worth it? for if you're lucky and happen to be home at the right time for ten days of the year maybe-definitely not
    Forget it to be honest unless you are a serious dx'er(one who likes finding faraway signals) and get yourself a digibox with a ftv card if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Hi Eartman,
    I'm interested in Entertainment not dx'ing.
    Any suggestions on where I might pick up a digibox & ftv card? I'm not interested in signing up to Sky.

• Advertisement

www.ebay.co.uk
    or
    www.qxl.co.uk/

Just do a search in either for a digibox and card
    You will need a dish so have a look at the sticky on the satelite forum for retailers.
    http://www.satellite.ie/
    are good for that imho

I'm closing this thread now as it's clear the thread starter has been pointed in the only realistic direction we can point him for what he wants.
    gok - have a look at the satelite board-especially the free to view sticky for more details

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement