Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses

Options
  • 13-09-2004 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there: my partner and me are looking to buy a house
    We found properties but they were either really far or in towns with high crime rates
    what areas can you suggest?
    We just want a nice place to live
    Our budget could go up to 280k but that is the very top
    Any imput apreciated,

Thanks and sorry if I m dreamming.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Thanks and sorry if I m dreamming.. :D

Dreaming's ok

Where do you want to live? near work? family? somewhere just because?

Your budget isn't very high, have you looked at shared ownership plans from your council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 looking4house

where do i want to live?
    I reckon the question is where can I afford a house
    I work in the north and he in the south so ideally a central place would be great.
    regarding our budget, isnt it around the same for everybody buying the first house?
    or my bank is just giving me to little?
    Thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Try Lucan? Clonsilla? Clonee? If you a place with low crime rates - stay away from tyrellstown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I reckon the question is where can I afford a house
    I work in the north and he in the south so ideally a central place would be great.

Ok, with that in mind. You have to be practical, and open minded.

Are you stuck on a house, or do you want an apartment?

As a first time buyer, it makes more sense for you to buy a new property, as this will avoid you having to pay stamp duty in most cases.

Really you need to research what you want/are willing to settle for, and what's available in your budget in all areas. Buy the Indo on Friday, spend Saturday going around to the developments. Remember that 1st homes are not going to be where you spend all your lives, so they don't have to be perfect in every way, they're a way to get you up on the ladder.

Shop around with brokers and lenders for as much as you can afford, different places will advance differing amounts

I was in your shoes 3 years ago. Started looking, very frustrating. Found somewhere in D15, an area I knew little about as I'm from Dun Laoghaire, but did my research.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Repli wrote:
    stay away from tyrellstown

Why? Not because i live there but i know a few that have bought there,I know there is a massive amount of homes there,something like 3000 plus and the place def wouldn't appeal to me.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice,
    I mean it
    This weekend we are going to see all the D15 and close by areas

Regarding appartments, we prefer a house, altough we know it can be really handy sometimes, its not completely off the table

Regarding stamp dutty, how much is that (aprox), how much do you spend in all the extras (solicitor, taxes, etc)

should I find a solicitor now?or when I find the house?
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

It's a good idea to have a solicitor in mind if you find a place to have on standby, gouing rate is about 1% of purchase price + fees so expect to pay between 2.5k and 3K, stamp duty goes up on second hand to 4% (I think) if you go over the 254k mark. You will get great info on all this subject from www.myhome.ie invaluable advice and also all houses for sale. Brokers such as REA will do everything for you eg arrange mortgage, insurances solicitor etc but again you need to have a lot of info so dont make wrong decision....finally I would definintely think about Lucan, not to bad as close to N4 for traffic but bad if you have kids to get schoold etc in the future but nice area if close to lucan village etc I personally dont think that apts and so on in clonsilla etc would be a great investment for the future due to amount being built as not alot of ifastructure around to support. Sorry to anyone living in clonsilla not trying to offend just my own opinion!

Lastly you will find that house will be better investment long term although bigger outlay when selling again (from my own experience) areas I would look at would be maybe Lucan, Clondalkin (near village) Old Bawn/Springfield in Tallaght dont know anything about northside sorry, but you will get decent house for under 280k Start looking at myhome.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Why not Try Carlow only 70mins from Dublin and you'd have a huge 4 bedroom house for that, plus away from the husle and bussel of town.

Thanks again for all you advice
    I ve seen some houses in swords during the weekend, we are happy with the house, but location wise..you really need to have 2 cars to live there.
    I reckon is better not to rush and get it right
    I ll check lucan the next weekend
    again thanks for all the advice, and information.
    I m looking in myhome.ie, but in lowe.ie there are homes that are not there so if any of you are looking for house check it out
    Thanks a gain

Advertisement