Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Jesus Really Die?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

All are: in catacomb #42 stashed with ark of the covenant and sacred menorah is my best guess :rolleyes:
    Lord Lucan and Elvis have probably doodled all over them by now in their boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Holy Blood, Holy Grail is also a good read for those interested in debunking religion.
    Council of Nicae is when the new testament was "fiddled" into existance.

Or for the lazy, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

:rolleyes:

...thought I would help elivsvonchianing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hagar wrote:
    See, I knew there would be a chocolate link in this somewhere.

There was a scene in the last episode of Farscape where Harvey (the dude that resides in crichtons's head, yes I know it sounds strange if you've never seen the show :p) is giving a little speech dressed as an Easter Bunny - "Curious holiday, Easter. Religious leader dies... comes back from the dead, and you end up celebrating like this! Well... I think that... like religion... it's an individual choice. Either you believe and, therefore, bunnies are unnecessary or... you don't, in which case... chocolate?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

dublinario wrote:
    My favourite part of your posting elivsvonchianing, is the part where you try to put one of those stupid f*cking 'rolling eyes' graphics in the subject of your message, and fail miserably, which serves you right for attempting to be such a smug prat. Is it really such a grievous error to think that there are only 4 Gospels? Am I really in such a small, thick, ignorant minority to not know of the existence of another 146-odd Gospels, to the point where you feel compelled to 'roll your eyes'? Or could it be that your entire posting was a pretentious display to lord a single piece of niche information over the ignorant masses. You remind me of one of those people who prefix obscure factual statements with "of course" to feign intellectual superiority e.g. "Of course, Eva Braun married Hitler in his bunker before they both comitted suicide".
    Well deserved point. I guess I was reading too many stupid threads and just came across this one... knew it was well time I was in bed and just couldn't keep my stupid gob shut :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

guys guys guys

this tread started as a general whaddya think about this program about jesus kinda thingy and it wasnt long before all involved were ranting madly and arguing like well fools, this is always the outcome when the religon is the subject.hmmmm.what to you? well for a start try actually imagining that there may not be a god or a jesus and then your close!

as voltire so excellently puts in his article about fanatism:

let someone spread the the news that there exists a giant seventy feet tall : it will not be long before the learned doctors are discussing what color his hair should be, how big its thumb, the size of its nails,their voices rise they scheme they fight : those who maintain that that the giants little finger is only an inch and a half across will burn at the stake all those who insist that
    the little has the width of a foot
    'But gentlemen does your giant even exist? enquires a passer by. what a fearful thing to doubt exclaim the quarelling doctors.what blasphemy, what monstrous absurdity
    and then briefly they hold a truce that they may stone the passer byand when they have assinated him with full ceremony, in the most edifying manner they return to fighting each other in the usual way - about the little fingers and the nails.
    ironically this article wasn't directly about religon but possibly closer describes religous trends in terms of glorifying certain religous leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

stevejazzx wrote:
    guys guys guys

this tread started as a general whaddya think about this program about jesus kinda thingy and it wasnt long before all involved were ranting madly and arguing like well fools, this is always the outcome when the religon is the subject.hmmmm.what to you? well for a start try actually imagining that there may not be a god or a jesus and then your close!
    Not convinced anyone here hasn't already done this! Willy Wonka etc I do not even view as off-post (completely).

Think people still feel passionately about religion no matter what they themselves believe tbh.

I would like to see this thread continue with less frivolous posts... and I'm not the thread originator... flak etc. but preferably more serious posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Jumping in... without going into the matter of whether Jesus did rise from the dead, etc, I must say I found this alternative story a little twisted, and only slightly more plausible than the one the Gospel tells. Perhaps if I saw the actual documentary I might be convinced, but so far it sounds like a little conspiracy-theory product... I do think I recall that it was a Roman soldier who gave Jesus the vinegar, and I agree that the spear must have finished whatever the crucifixion had not. Besides, the hypothesis that Jesus must have slipped into an induced coma, and suddenly woken up believing that he had been on the other side, is assuming a lot....

Anyway, about the vinegar episode...

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zimriel/Egerton/vinegar.html

Advertisement