Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Presidental Elections

Options
  • 13-09-2004 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Now that Eamon Ryan, TD(Green Transport Spokesperson) and Dana have both announced that they will be seeking nominations it looks like there is to be an election after all.

FG and Labour have both been reluctant to run a candiadate so unless SF run someone it looks like it will be a 3 horse race(an unknown guy in sligo is also seeking nominations but he is a complete unknown nationally)

Who would you vote for? and Why?

Mary McEleese, Current Incubent
    Dana Rosemary Scallon, Anti-Abortion Campaign Veteran
    Eamon Ryan, Green TD for South Dublin

I leave out the guy from Sligo as I don't see him securing nominations from 4 councils easily now that their are 3 reasonibly well known candiadats seeking nominations.

Personally I think Eamon Ryan would be a spectaular president. He would take up issues like US uses of Shannon Airport and Global issues like the Kyoto Protocal with world leaders given the chance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Akula

Mary any day of the week.

Dana... is just wayyy too loopers for me. Eamonn Ryan... the very thing you applaud him for I'm afraid of. Our constitution sets out the need for a president that is apolitical, think he would have a hard time doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

gom wrote:
    He would take up issues like US uses of Shannon Airport and Global issues like the Kyoto Protocal with world leaders given the chance.
    Not without getting the government's approval first he wouldn't.

Either Ryan or McAleese, I don't care really, as long as Dana doesn't get to become supreme commander of the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Erm...much as I'd like to think that the likes of Eamon Ryan would make heads of state of more war-hungry countries shuffle uncomfortably in their seats, andno matter what rhetoric he comes out with in the run-up to polling day, the Irish Presidency is window dressing. Simple as. He might 'take up' issues but I don't think the holder of the job is allowed to 'argue forcefully'

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dear Lord,

Please give me the strength to beat Dana into a bloodied lump.

Your human,
    DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Ryan might be too political for the job. It is more necessary for the President to be diplomatic more than political, I think. If Ryan was to bring his Green Party politics to the job he may tackle the world leaders over the Kyoto agreement* and so on. But we need someone more like Mary Robinson, who was more diplomatic and a wonderful ambassador for the country. It is up to the Taoiseach and the government to debate and decide over policy regarding the US use of Shannon or Kyoto or the War on Terror, etc. and not the President. I'm not sure who would be best for the job out of all them, but if Dustin the Turkey runs again, then he'll get my vote... ;)

*Is Ireland still above the level of the Kyoto Agreement? Bush gets a lot of flak over taking the US out of the agreement but up until recently we were also still above the level in the agreement, and I would think that we still are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

A certain mischevious part of me nearly wants Dana to win. It would give everyone something to get worked up about again. The young out on the streets battling with their conservative elders for the future of nation! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

what were mcaleeses politics, the status quo? so she was allowed express em...

why would eamon ryan want to be president?

well we just took a wrong turn saying we wouldn't have a carbon tax now we're all going have to pay eu fines.. yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Yeah, Dustin to get the vote again...I'll go along with that one but it does really have to be Mary again as the others cannot be trusted to be diplomatic as Deadman says, and that is what Mary Robinson had by the bucket load. If we want people to say what they think then Dustin should be the next Pres.....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

You all seem to be missing the point on my support for Emaon Ryan. I don't want a political president any more than the next person. I want a president that does their job. A president of Ireland that defends abuses of the constitution by the government such as allowing US government planes carrying kidnapped Egyptian Asylum Seekers from Sweden fly through Shannon airport on the way to hidden interigation bases(concerning the leading G2 article - in the process of gathering more info and trying to remember my svenska).

Thats all really

Dana is up to fight a mission to stop supercedes of the constitution but thats a dud in my eyes as we have ammended it to allow the EU to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

someone get David Norris to run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

gom wrote:
    You all seem to be missing the point on my support for Emaon Ryan. I don't want a political president any more than the next person. I want a president that does their job. A president of Ireland that defends abuses of the constitution by the government
    As the preisdent takes much of their legal advice from the presidential council there may not be much change in policy if the person at the top has changed.

Also they can only refuse to sign acts that are presented to them, they cannot veto or change existing government policy. They can speak out on such things but in practice this would be very limited.

Since the "thundering disgarce" incident [http://www.fact-index.com/i/ir/irish_presidential_election__1976.html] in the 70's which led to the resignation of President Ó Dálaigh in 1976 I don't think there has been any significant overlap between the day to day politics of the dail and the presidency. The other major issue where there was potential for the president to get involved in such things was when the late Brian Lenihan had his "mature recollection" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lenihan#.27On_mature_recollection.27] in the 1990 campaign. And President Hillery quite rightly kept his mouth shut about the whole thing.

So I doubt the election of Eamon Ryan would change this situation one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This is my opinion and in my opinion I am right but then again thats my opinion. Imho the president is a complete waste of time, resources and taxpayers money. All Mary McCleese is plain and ordinary ambassador for Ireland. She has now political input whatsoever. She swans around doing nothing except attending charity dinners and all Irelands. So let Dana go for it at least at one stage she brought a little light to a very depressed Irish nation, which left this country feeling proud. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that she should go for it or there should be an election. Plain and simple their should be no president as they are a complete waste of time, bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

another strong case for the none of the above option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

DeVore wrote:
    Dear Lord,

Please give me the strength to beat Dana into a bloodied lump.

Your human,
    DeV.

lol!

I was listening to her on the news at one and ya know what she nearly had me convinced that she should be allowed run - if it's a case that county councillors from fine Gael have been told that they cnnot back her - well she has a bit of a point about this being fairly undemocratic. That being said I wouldn't want her near the Aras.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd be intrested to see if/ and who sinn fein puts up...

but as it is, i'd vote green, cant bring myself to vote finna fail and dana is too crazy for my liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

im just glad that theres going to be an election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

From the 13th Article of the constitution
    Article 13

1. 1° The President shall, on the nomination of Dáil Éireann, appoint the Taoiseach, that is, the head of the Government or Prime Minister.

2° The President shall, on the nomination of the Taoiseach with the previous approval of Dáil Éireann, appoint the other members of the Government.

3° The President shall, on the advice of the Taoiseach, accept the resignation or terminate the appointment of any member of the Government.

2. 1° Dáil Éireann shall be summoned and dissolved by the President on the advice of the Taoiseach.

2° The President may in his absolute discretion refuse to dissolve Dáil Éireann on the advice of a Taoiseach who has ceased to retain the support of a majority in Dáil Éireann.

3° The President may at any time, after consultation with the Council of State, convene a meeting of either or both of the Houses of the Oireachtas.

3. 1° Every Bill passed or deemed to have been passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas shall require the signature of the President for its enactment into law.

2° The President shall promulgate every law made by the Oireachtas.

4. The supreme command of the Defence Forces is hereby vested in the President.

5. 1° The exercise of the supreme command of the Defence Forces shall be regulated by law.

2° All commissioned officers of the Defence Forces shall hold their commissions from the President.

6. The right of pardon and the power to commute or remit punishment imposed by any court exercising criminal jurisdiction are hereby vested in the President, but such power of commutation or remission may also be conferred by law on other authorities.

7. 1° The President may, after consultation with the Council of State, communicate with the Houses of the Oireachtas by message or address on any matter of national or public importance.

2° The President may, after consultation with the Council of State, address a message to the Nation at any time on any such matter.

3° Every such message or address must, however, have received the approval of the Government.

8. 1° The President shall not be answerable to either House of the Oireachtas or to any court for the exercise and performance of the powers and functions of his office or for any act done or purporting to be done by him in the exercise and performance of these powers and functions.

2° The behaviour of the President may, however, be brought under review in either of the Houses of the Oireachtas for the purposes of section 10 of Article 12 of this Constitution, or by any court, tribunal or body appointed or designated by either of the Houses of the Oireachtas for the investigation of a charge under section 10 of the said Article.

9. The powers and functions conferred on the President by this Constitution shall be exercisable and performable by him only on the advice of the Government, save where it is provided by this Constitution that he shall act in his absolute discretion or after consultation with or in relation to the Council of State, or on the advice or nomination of, or on receipt of any other communication from, any other person or body.

10. Subject to this Constitution, additional powers and functions may be conferred on the President by law.

11. No power or function conferred on the President by law shall be exercisable or performable by him save only on the advice of the Government.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/297.htm

a little more that the role of ambassador suggested above - especially sections 4 - 6.
    Can't get my head around Dana or Ryan as commander of the Defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

ArthurDent wrote:
    11. No power or function conferred on the President by law shall be exercisable or performable by him save only on the advice of the Government.
    I found a loop hole for Eamon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Hows about a boards canidate?

If elected I shall hold lan partys in the aras.
    Manipulate international leaders by whooping their ass's in Cs.
    If their is a room for president in the dail, this will be duly handed over to Ireland off line.
    I will hold large military parades.(dont quite know why, But it would be a shame to waste my command over the armed forces, **** it might as well get some bronze statue's while Im at it.)
    Aquire tactical nuclear weapons for Irelands defensive statagy.(dont ask...I dont know why either.)Might as well throw in renewables and nuclear power in the face of rising oil costs.
    Oh and blowjobs from interns and prayer session's with bono.

Seems to cover everything up.I might be able to swing galway cc in to nominating me.I assume boards members could at least find 2 other counsils.

Your future el presidente :)

Ok on a more serious note, can a president lobby for their own initives holding the govt to ransom by refusing to sign in new laws, as well as other possbile legal moves?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 andyhunt

Bring back the Queen. It would avoid all this election nonsense for a nonsense job. Whichever dummy gets the post has to smile and wave at people, the Queen is brilliant at this and has lots of experience. She's also proved she can survive scandal and strife and never puts her foot in her mouth. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sliabh wrote:
    .. which led to the resignation of President Ó Dálaigh in 1976 I don't think there has been any significant overlap between the day to day politics of the dail and the presidency. The other major issue where there was potential for the president to get involved in such things was when the late Brian Lenihan had his "mature recollection"
    http://www.fact-index.com/c/ce/cearbhall_o_dalaigh.html - more on that presidency

But Brian Lenihan as president, can you imagine, handing out the highest office in the state as a political reward to someone who woundn't rock the boat. Having Mrs Robinson elected gave the position a well needed shot in the arm had Brian been elected the role would have continued to fade away into nothingness becoming ceremonial only. Don't forget the job is supposed to be one of the checks and balances on the government so one of the last things you need is someone who will toe the line of one of the main parties.

more general info http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/President-of-Ireland
    #
    Special limitations on the role of the President
    # The President may not leave the state without the consent of the Government.
    # Every speech delivered by the President must have the prior approval of the Government.

Muppetry
    http://www.petitiononline.com/pres4all/petition.html
    Not sure what it's about since ONLY Irish Citzens can vote - how many people in norn-iron have passports and can't register to vote down here ??

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

andyhunt wrote:
    Bring back the Queen. It would avoid all this election nonsense for a nonsense job. Whichever dummy gets the post has to smile and wave at people, the Queen is brilliant at this and has lots of experience. She's also proved she can survive scandal and strife and never puts her foot in her mouth. :D

If David Norris gets elected we will have our own queen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 andyhunt

frodi wrote:
    If David Norris gets elected we will have our own queen :)
    lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

andyhunt wrote:
    She's also proved she .... never puts her foot in her mouth. :D
    Thats a function reserved for her husband. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If the best we can come up with to run against McAleese is Ryan and Dana

Why bother, Mary will will without having to bother running a campaign.

Now if you've got good credible candidates (BTW Labour - this rules out Michael D) I'd be all for an election.

But for the moment lets save the money that an election would cost and use it to buy rotten fruit to throw at the wanabee candidates. All the fun, and no need for posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hemlock666

I think that its an insult to our collective intelligence that the government is about to spend 10 million yoyos to hold a referendum to decide who gets to travel the world shaking hands and being grossly overpaid. Especially considering the long list of social ills in the country. People are living on the streets in record numbers for christs sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So McAleese is definitely running (walking?) - story

And FG aren't putting up any opposition - story

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

sceptre wrote:
    So McAleese is definitely running (walking?) - story

And FG aren't putting up any opposition - story

FG will be sending Mary McAleese thank you notes for getting them out of a hole. When was the last time that FG put up a candidate for pres that had even a close chance of winning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

frodi wrote:
    When was the last time that FG put up a candidate for pres that had even a close chance of winning?
    Been a long time since Tom O'Higging all right.

Advertisement