Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL in Rathmines

• 13-09-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

A friend of mine runs a business in Rathmines. 1.5 miles south of O'Connell Bridge. He had ISDN installed several years ago and it's costing him a bomb. Both his lines begin with 4975 and both fail the WWW-based DSL test. Is this normal for a location so close to the city centre, and is there anything he can do about it?
    Is the failure of the lines due to the ISDN?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lafcadio wrote:
    Is the failure of the lines due to the ISDN?
    Yes, quite probable. What you need is someone in the know to confuse a poor phone monkey and get them to send out an engineer to install DSL, just to get you off their back.

Personally, I'd recommend going with a WISP.
    www.irishbroadband.ie have 4(!) transmitters covering Rathmines. It may seem like the easy way out, but why should you have to fight to get DSL, when you can give two fingers to Eircom's farce and go with the better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Having multiple devices connected to the line can also have an effect on the result. You may wanna get him to disconnect his fax machine etc. and then get eircom to test the line again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lafcadio

seamus wrote:
    Yes, quite probable. What you need is someone in the know to confuse a poor phone monkey and get them to send out an engineer to install DSL, just to get you off their back.

Would it be possible to get ISDN uninstalled? He can't use it at the moment anyway cos the PC that Eircom installed the ISDN "modem" in got wiped. The new PC has Win XP, but he can't get Win XP drivers for the ISDN "modem".
    Personally, I'd recommend going with a WISP.
    www.irishbroadband.ie have 4(!) transmitters covering Rathmines. It may seem like the easy way out, but why should you have to fight to get DSL, when you can give two fingers to Eircom's farce and go with the better option?

He has to pay line rental for phone lines anyway.
    The cheapest wireless DSL service + Eircom line rental is dearer than UTV ADSL and Eircom line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sure is. I'm not going to make reliability claims here, but on principle, I know what I'd choose. On top of that, the Wireless option is 1MBit, and works out cheaper than 1MBit DSL. You're also not encumbered by caps and (for all intents and purposes) contention ratio.

Advertisement