Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Societies

• 13-09-2004 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

So what societies are you all in, or are planning to join this year? Any recommendations? I'm in the Newman Society. Dunno if any of you have been to their talks but, they do great talks about twice a month on topics such as UFOs, near death experiences, intelligence and neurolinguistic programming (getting your own way by adjusting the way you interact with others)! You guys should give a thought to joining up this year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Nice to see my little creation is still alive and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You created the Newman found? Cool stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Lisapeep, you short, like debating and did bouncyness in 1st year? You sound like someone I know. If you are, then I'm the long haired guy who did lots of maths with breen.

I'm in the Newmann society amoung other things. I'm definityly going to join MathsSoc, NetSoc and L&H. MathsSoc I kinda have to, as a commitee member (Turn up and you get landed with a committe post :)). NetSoc is fantastic. You get to play with a really cool computer. :) On a serious note you can bypass the main UCD internet thinge and get faster internet access. It's handy. L&H have a lot of interesting debates and guest speakers. I may join LawSoc, just cause they had Mr Burns from The Simpsons last year. That was fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I swore last year I wasn't going to waste so much money during Fresher's Week (again...) but I joined loads. Sat on the tae kwon-do club stand and appropriated donuts for the club from other stands. :)
    And yes, Netsoc may save your ass some day. Join it! And last year all the Netsoc people were wearing 'chicks dig Unix' t-shirts...

And last year all the Netsoc people were wearing 'chicks dig Unix' t-shirts...

I can still hear it calling.... Blue flavour.... Blessed blue flavour... Think what would happen if you had a slush puppy with no ice, that's blue flavour! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And you tried to tell me not to drink the uber-blue slush puppy on the last day of fresher's week... The one that was about 3/4 blue goo?

And you tried to tell me not to drink the uber-blue slush puppy on the last day of fresher's week... The one that was about 3/4 blue goo?
    Did I? I don't really remember that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Was thinking of a martial art, possibly Rifling/Archery and maybe Frisbee.
    Ill see next week when they have stands; who ever has the best freebe/ cutedt girls gets my 2 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Without exclusive net access, what do Netsoc now offer the average punter? Or is it yet another clique? L&H all the way for me, although their biggest assets are the debates/guest speakers, and anyone can get into those... :)

Bateman wrote:
    Without exclusive net access, what do Netsoc now offer the average punter? Or is it yet another clique? L&H all the way for me, although their biggest assets are the debates/guest speakers, and anyone can get into those... :)
    They offer officaly 100 MB of FTP space. Unoffically, don't fill it too big and they say nothing. That would be one of the best things for the average student. It is quite handy for storing stuff, as you can access it from all over the world. It's a good way to move big (ie more than a floppy) files.

If you are interested in computers, then they are a lot more benificial. You can sign up to do the trainee course, which will teach you (well you teach yourself) some UNIX stuff. Practical knowledge is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭aSS g0BliN

yeah the netsoc sounds really great i'll definitely have a look.Are there any other good computer societies (because i'm doing computer Science :D )??....Btw is there any way to play games on teh computers in the collage??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Syth wrote:
    ...On a serious note you can bypass the main UCD internet thinge and get faster internet access. It's handy...

I don't think you'll be able to do that anymore thanks to all the computers being changed over to Windows 2000 there during the summer, you can't edit the proxy now...

I was thinking about joining MathSoc, what kinda stuff goes on? Mathematical talks about Pi and the Golden Ratio no doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dont join music soc - its crap

join alt. soc (which i am reviving)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Reviving alt soc eh? Myself and a mate tried to start up a new alt soc this year but renamed it live music soc. We got denied however partially due to the failure of alt soc and also ents are supposed to be doing a better job this year. Let me know what the story is with your revival though, id love to get involved.

Also, games in computer science are possible over the network. But the proxy wont allow connections to internet game servers so no online play. Installing games is the major issue. Since first year, my year has been in constant battles with the computer administrators cause technically we're not supposed to be playing. They do all sorts, loads of restrictions on machines, like disabling graphics cards, sounds, installation right, setting the computers to reset themselves on every boot. Still, we always manage to find a way and counterstrike stole most of last year from me as a result.

In short, yeah games are possible, just try not to be seen.

and yes, music soc is a joke. it choir and orchestra stuff only. dont believe what they tell you during freshers week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Is there not a society for metal/rock/jazz etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I'd say I'll waste loads of money joining useless societies but what the hell.
    Lawsoc is gonna have the guy who plays Dr.Cox in scrubs chair one of the debates so that's worth the 2euro alone in my opinion.
    Gonna join Engsoc too, comes with the course.

aSS g0BliN wrote:
    Are there any other good computer societies
    There used to be a CompSoc, but they died and no longer exist. They still have a website though, (http://www.ucd.ie/compsoc/), just click on 'News' to see how old it is.
    I don't think you'll be able to do that anymore thanks to all the computers being changed over to Windows 2000 there during the summer, you can't edit the proxy now...
    No you can still do it. I was in during the summer and could still do it. NetSoc would raise a holy hell if such a policy was implemented (and rightly so).
    I was thinking about joining MathSoc, what kinda stuff goes on?
    Definitly join MathSoc. For the last 2 years it was a crap. 2 years ago there was a guy in final trying to be auditor, and do sweet f-ck all. Last year there was a girl who was taking the year out and had about 2 events the whole year. Then in about March there was an EGM and she was deposed. A new auditor was elected. MathSoc came to live and had about a dozen or so events in the last few months of term, when most other societies were wrapping up and efveryone should be studying. It'll be well worth it.
    aSS g0BliN wrote:
    Btw is there any way to play games on teh computers in the collage??
    You are not supposed to. But you can, and people do. Lots. But it depends on where. In the Arts block or Dadulus you shouldn't play games cause some antsy art student who needs to write their essay in M$ **** will report you. Go to the science block computer room (called (amoung student) the NerdCave), or in computer science, and you'll always find people gaming. Another thing: Only game from about 4 or 5 on. Not in the middle of the day, when people need to use them. Last year lots of 1st years played Red Alert 2 at all hours. People who needed to do work complained and computer services started clamping down. Some people I knew got caught and their accounts were suspended for a week. Don't play games during the day.
    Seifer wrote:
    Lawsoc is gonna have the guy who plays Dr.Cox in scrubs
    Hope that comes through. It'd be a great laugh!

Speaking of getting accounts banned, heres a fun thing to do if your bored in college.

Go to the physics building computer lab and find a computer thats been left logged in by some muppet (we have to assume they're a muppet otherwise the joke is no fun). Then go into netware utilities under there username and use the send message function to spam every computer user on campus (what you write is your own business). Very easy and very funny. It gets virtually every user including admins and lecturers (some who may be in lectures). Then promptly log off and move to a different aisle in the computer room. Take out a stopwatch and see how long it takes before some panting overweight computer services tech comes running in the door trying to catch you. Its ****in great. The record I've seen is under three minutes. I've only done it three times in two years though.

daram wrote:
    Speaking of getting accounts banned, heres a fun thing to do if your bored in college.

Go to the physics building computer lab and find a computer thats been left logged in by some muppet (we have to assume they're a muppet otherwise the joke is no fun). Then go into netware utilities under there username and use the send message function to spam every computer user on campus (what you write is your own business). Very easy and very funny. It gets virtually every user including admins and lecturers (some who may be in lectures). Then promptly log off and move to a different aisle in the computer room. Take out a stopwatch and see how long it takes before some panting overweight computer services tech comes running in the door trying to catch you. Its ****in great. The record I've seen is under three minutes. I've only done it three times in two years though.
    That sounds like a great laugh! And there's the traditional homepage change!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭aSS g0BliN

the computer room in the science block ? isn't there a couple of them ?? where abouts is it tbh?? :D

The physics building. The last of the buildings in the science complex, at the back. Three floors up down the corridor on the right hand side. Most of the computers are wrecked though due to people not knowing what they're doing. Im back in the computer science building now with a whole new set of new restrictions to get around. yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

THat sounds class :D Has anyone ever been caught in the act or chased down by the computer guys??

PS which is the easiest building to do that in-the physics one?

What great information one picks up on forums!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

daram wrote:

Did you ever get caught? Do you know anyone who did? Would you get f*cked out of college if you got caught?

Sounds pretty damn cool. Great for organising massive parties :p, or cult get togethers :eek: !!

aSS g0BliN wrote:
    the computer room in the science block ? isn't there a couple of them ?? where abouts is it tbh??
    Science Block. Bottom floor. The other end from the shop. Near the door facing the physics building. Look down to the right, there's a door. Enter the door. Enter the Nerd Cave. :)
    tribulus wrote:
    Has anyone ever been caught in the act or chased down by the computer guys??
    Oh yes people have been caught. But during the clampdown last year some students were a little 'reluctant' to give up their student cards, and got a bit physical. services (as opposed to computer services) said f-ck this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It would be great if anyone was able to find out the administrator passwords on the Win 2000 workstations? They probably all have the same one.

We spent a few weeks last year hackin the local admin passwords in the second year lab in computer science. Got nowhere but we'll keep trying. Our main attack was a brute force attack on the encrypted password file. Only problem is, if the password is over 8 chars long, it can take more than a year to complete. We also nearly created ourselves an admin account using the touchscreen kiosk in the lobby. We never fully explored its possibilitys.

I was never caught by services, but I once did it using my mates account and he got his computer login disabled and he had to go to computer services and formerly apologise to get it back. I stood outside the window laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

That's terrible! I suppose he's a bit stupid if he told you his password, but I have a sneaking suspision he left his PC logged on!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was using my account for all sorts of mischief up to 6 months after I graduated, then they disabled me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*coughs politely and recommends joining the UCD Rifle Club*

After all, you lot will need some decent shooters this year to win the intervarsities against Trinity...

Advertisement