Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Departments

Options
  • 13-09-2004 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering in light of the reshuffle soon approaching, what do people think are good/successful departments and which ones are not.

IMO

Transport - OK
    (LUAS bad road improvements good)
    Justice - Bad
    (Garda needs an overhaul, 9pm kids out, many others)
    Enterprise Trade & Employment - Good
    (Great prosperity and easy life for most)
    Finance - Mostly Good
    (decentralisation could have been great, too bad....)
    Health - Bad
    (Helath boards a sham)
    Education - OK

I feel dept. ET&E has been the most successful dept of the present government and health and defence the least successful.

i acknowledge that I have not mentioned even nearly all the departments here but these are just a sample, others can flesh this out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

enda1 wrote:
    Defence - Bad
    (Garda needs an overhaul)
    Isn't it the Minister for Justice who has responsibility for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sorry your right bad mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Other than the LUAS running over budget....exactly what is bad about it?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Education-very bad.

That idiot dempsey is doing secret deals with the OECD in trying to reintroduce college fees by stealth.Tryed to pull the plug on the library in UCD last year.Those damaged school buildings aren`t fixing themselves.

Transport-ok

Bus service in Dublin generally speaking is good. Generous Discounts for Schoolkids, students and the elderley. I can have unlimited bus travel for one week for 12euro with a student ticket. However tram service is poorly integrated, a weekly bus and tram ticket costs 8 euro more than a weekly bus ticket, which is a bit much considering that there is only one tramline.Iarnroid Eireann is diabolical.

Finance- could be better, Their record on tax breaks for people on modest income is commendable, however there is too much emphasis on further tax breaks for charlies friends in the bloodstock industry and not enough emphasis on societys weakest.

Justice (in)equality,Law reform. A joke.
    Ireland is now the biggest nanny state in europe, 16 year olds cant even have a meal on licensed premises with their parents after 21:00. Taking a hammer to the equal status act- 20 year old adults cant drink in certain venues for some stupid reason or another, Violence at night time soars but instead of providing more Gardai, Mcdowell decides to use, Happy Hour, Alcopops, Entertainment during drink up time, and people in the 18-21 age group as a smokescreen.Lets face it michael violence does not happen because alchopops aren`t taxed highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yes i agree Dave, there is a problem with binge drinking in ireland, but the methods used by the department of justice to deal with it are short sighted, high handed, and ineffective.It puts collective punishment on every alcohol consumer including the 99% of people who go out and drink sensibly. Ok there emergency rooms are full of drunk people on saturday nights, but compare that with the amount of sensible law abiding people who only go out to drink sensibly.

Im not suggesting a police state or anything like it, im just think that there should be a presence of gardai on the streets at closing times, in the event of a fight breaking out. It would be much more effective than restricting the opening hours.

Advertisement