Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Champions League proper kicks off again, Tuesday games.

• 13-09-2004 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

What with the Shels fuss, and the internationals, the ultimate UEFA junket has kind of crept up on us, with little or no hype.

Really looking forward to see how Chelsea perform away to Paris, and especially with Duff expected to start, and Drogba facing what are recognised as Marseilles' arch-enemies, on and off the pitch. Hopefully Ferreira and Carvalho will be dropped/rested, and Gallas and Bridge will start, maybe even Glen Johnson, who has been making some noises to the effect that he wants his place back from Ferreira. Mourinho wasn't impressed with Tiago against Villa on Saturday, and to be honest, neither was I, so will be interesting to see the Chelsea team, should be quite a few changes.

Otherwise, Arsenal will get a hostile welcome from PSV, who I would imagine will want to keep it tight, and will try to crowd Arsenal out down the Arsenal left. Which will mean more space for Bergkamp to get on the ball in central positions. Anyone know if he's bussing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mainly interested in Liverpool naturally, sadly the Monaco game is'nt being shown live (bloody Man Utd obsessed media!) I think it'll be tough myself.

Speaking of Utd the squad has strunk again with Gary Neville out for a month.

Arsenal have no excuses if they dont win by 2 goals.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bergkamp I assume is getting a coach to holland.
    I'm sure its all the same to him cause he has family there and probably returns home to them quite a bit so its a usual trip for him.

Utd should still get a win I think againist Lyon, who aren't the team they used to be.

Liverpool game will be a real test, and Arsenal and Chelsea shouldn't have too much trouble, however I'll be interested to see how they both preform in europe this year, especially mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Liverpool game should be on Sky, are they not showing every game like last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bateman wrote:
    The Liverpool game should be on Sky, are they not showing every game like last year?
    Yup it is on interactive.. But I have poxy ****ing NTL digital who dont have interactive...

* Do not get NTL digital, its brutal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ITV get the rights to 2 matches every Tuesday night and whatever matches they choose, Sky aren't allowed show (Sky can show all 8 matches on Wedensday's though). ITV are showing the Arsenal match so we get to see that in Ireland but the Chelsea match will be shown on ITV2 so we don't get to see it here.

I'm still confident that Celtic can beat Barca tomorrow. Barca have only played 2 league games this season and I wasn't really impressed with them on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Bateman wrote:
    Otherwise, Arsenal will get a hostile welcome from PSV, who I would imagine will want to keep it tight, and will try to crowd Arsenal out down the Arsenal left. Which will mean more space for Bergkamp to get on the ball in central positions. Anyone know if he's bussing it?

Arsenal are at home so Bergkamp will more than likely start. Reyes might not start if Freddie is fit. So I read on the Beeb anyway.

Arsenal to win 2-0 I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

the only thing for it is to go to the pub and watch the liverpool game. However i will be in evening classes so wont get to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lverpool game on Sky Sports Xtra channel. Glad I pay my €62/month for my sky package now than he cheaper option of Chorus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I think the comments from Jose moranihno (chelski) about the tatics used by British clubs in europe was a very good point. He said that the clubs from britain werent very smart, they didnt take into account if you were playing a side from Spain or Italy etc. On the continent they seem kilometers ahead on this point.

Same goes for Irish clubs in Europe, they could have done a lot better (apart from shels) if they had a proper game plan and well thought out tatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mourinho said he wants a draw and it wud be a gud result!! seems his defensive minded play will continue! mite try and play cole and Duff up front to get a goal on the breakaway! can see them winning even if they do play defensive! PSG aint no World beaters

All the rest of the teams to win....yes even I see Liverpool winning! doesnt really get interesting till after the group stage and all the lower teams are out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Lverpool game on Sky Sports Xtra channel. Glad I pay my €62/month for my sky package now than he cheaper option of Chorus.

Correct, glad I pay €49 euro for my Sky package (screw the movie channels:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Big Nelly wrote:
    Mourinho said he wants a draw and it wud be a gud result!! seems his defensive minded play will continue! mite try and play cole and Duff up front to get a goal on the breakaway! can see them winning even if they do play defensive! PSG aint no World beaters

All the rest of the teams to win....yes even I see Liverpool winning! doesnt really get interesting till after the group stage and all the lower teams are out!

I think he said that he would be happy with an away point in the first game but that he want's them to play for all three. PSG have started off poor in their domestic league and cfc have had a great start and looked impressive on Saturday. I think thay might shade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Chelsea should definitely play for 3 points. Can't belive it's not on Sky. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ah, FFS. Duffer on the bench tonight. Mourinho had to go and get my bloody hopes up. Go on the PSG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

At least he brought him on. ;)

I'm not quite sure if having a left winger like Duff fits into Mourinho's 4-3-1-2 plans but I think that if he got a run of games he would be able to prove to him the kind of match winning class he brings to the team. At least it's not a case of someone like Robben (who is crap compared to Duff) getting in ahead of him in his own role.

Advertisement