Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Reputation Be Disabled ?

Options
  • 13-09-2004 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

After numerous complaints and a few banning do you think karma should be gotten rid of once more ?

Should Reputation Be Disabled ? 88 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    40% 36 votes
    Don't Care
    40% 36 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    18% 16 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think users should be able to switch theirs off if that's possible.

Am curious to hear what Paddy20 thinks about this though, his decision on this matter could sway my stance with respect to my views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I think it'd be handy if it could be kept just for the for-sale boards, with it being disabled anywhere else. Don't give people the option to disable it either, which would give people who recieve bad rep an easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

OK, I feel strongly about reputation, but then aguin either way I'll be happy.

I'd be happy because reputation does give the oppurtunity to say how they feel about certain users, and if a person is constantly abusing a certain or a group of users, then the negative karma can get the admins/moderators attention and therefore that user will be banned!

however, we do have a good few downsides to this. I do not think a person should be given negative karma for, perhaps, quite stupid comments(e.g. Suggesting a new fourm that may already exsist, commenting on a certain item negatively/postively with big opposition etc.) , it's embarrassing for users to have red dots on their username display and, of course, I don't think people really care that a person has good/bad karma at the end of the day, as we do not earn anything but the titles themselves.

All in all, if it's disabled, I'd be happy, but if the opposite happens, it'll be ok, but we do have all those negative things to think about as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

As it is, i think its bollocks. two suggestions i have is 1)have it only for for sale, and there has to be a reason given.

secondly would be just leave it for the mods to keep track of users?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Look at me.. do you think I care about negative rep or what they are saying? :p

Treat it like a game, you get more points that way.

Free greenies for those who vote NO. Red points for those who vote YES. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it's funny. Taking it seriously is silly. Like Hobbes says, it a game.

I would not like to see it banned but hey, if that's what people want.

I think paddy20 would be gutted if it was dusable though. Seriously folks, think of the paddy20.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I've recieved four negative comments on this thread.
    Comments include "Karma atackkkkkkkk" "llama" "NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo" and "You suck".
    I think if there was a way to implement that it showed the user who sent it would be better. Or some other way to stop it being abused.

I'm still at a loss as by what the user who said llama meant by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ste- wrote:
    "You suck".

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep I believe it should be turned off, I used it for a while but in the end people just messed about and gave ‘bad’ karma when they could and gave ‘good’ when they had to, even if posts didn’t deserve it so I turned it off in the end..

Yea I get a feeling hundred people will gave me so much bad karma just for saying that now… oh well

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

While in principle the karma system is a good idea, and I frequent one forum in particular where a recently introduced similar system has helped root out a lot of bad apples and decreased the amount of idiotic messing around that went on there, personally, I think that the system here needs to be refined as opposed to disabled. As it is, I think the community at large is just too immature to use it in its present form. I present one comment I got today for pointing out a crosspost as evidence; "Moany spa". Surely there would have been a more elequent way of voicing the disagreement...

Perhaps the ratings shouldn't be balanced soley on one user rating, but rather require a quorum of ratings and apply an average rating afterward this has been reached? Just my suggestion...

Ste- wrote:
    I've recieved four negative comments on this thread.
    Comments include "Karma atackkkkkkkk" "llama" "NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo" and "You suck".

ROFL I got "you suck" and "Karma atackkkkkkkk". I also got 4 other nep rep points (one was stupid enough to show he was a moderator). Funny this is.. I still made more green dots then red dots.

I shared the love as well for those positive rep people.. everyone else I shall smite. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmmm, perhaps if i post here, people will give me some good reputation and i will appear more popular than i really am!

hmmm, perhaps if i post here, people will give me some good reputation and i will appear more popular than i really am!
    Thats crazy talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally Posted by doodle_sketch
    While in principle the karma system is a good idea, and I frequent one forum in particular where a recently introduced similar system has helped root out a lot of bad apples and decreased the amount of idiotic messing around that went on there, personally, I think that the system here needs to be refined as opposed to disabled. As it is, I think the community at large is just too immature to use it in its present form. I present one comment I got today for pointing out a crosspost as evidence; "Moany spa". Surely there would have been a more elequent way of voicing the disagreement...

Perhaps the ratings shouldn't be balanced soley on one user rating, but rather require a quorum of ratings and apply an average rating afterward this has been reached? Just my suggestion...

Can anybody tell me what an appleback is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I think its grand. The only thing i would say is that they person giving rep should have to give their handle, or it should be part of the function that 'midget lord said: you suck' or whatever. otherwise you dont know who is giving you good or bad rep so you swoon or get revenge!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I really dont care .. BUT I DO wish that someone would give me some positive Karma .....

Please

I think its grand. The only thing i would say is that they person giving rep should have to give their handle, or it should be part of the function that 'midget lord said: you suck' or whatever. otherwise you dont know who is giving you good or bad rep so you swoon or get revenge!
    I think thats the point of it remaining anomonous. [sp?]

• Advertisement

Can anybody tell me what an appleback is?

Yea I appear to have gotten three apples? :) Clearly there is another team at work. However their personal score isn't high enough to have any real effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Perhaps if posts were screened; you only get reputation points if your post gets more than vote.
    ie: you make a bad post - more than one person votes you for negative rep points - you get negative rep points.

you make a good post - more than one person votes you for positive rep points - you get some positive rep points.

This would filter out the morons, and the "I've voted for you - will you vote for me" crowd.

...just an idea.

<edited for spelling>

Zulu wrote:
    Perhaps if posts were screened; you only get reputation points if your post gets more than vote.
    ie: you make a bad post - more than one person votes you for negative rep points - you get negative rep points.

you make a good post - more than one person votes you for positive rep points - you get some positive rep points.

This would filter out the morons, and the "I've voted for you - will you vote for me" crowd.

...just an idea.

<edited for spelling>
    If you vote for someone, they can't vote for you for a few days and until they spread it around afaik.

I think thats the point of it remaining anomonous. [sp?]

I find the anonymity to be a pain in the arse. Id like to know who is giving me bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If you vote for someone, they can't vote for you for a few days and until they spread it around afaik.
    I was talking about the losers who give you bad rep because they mightn't agree with a (good) point your making, as opposed to giving you bad rep for making a bad point.

Have a look at this thread for example. I ask a question and i loose 3 rep points for it. Now if i had of known who gave me the bad rep i could take it up with them.

Zulu wrote:
    I was talking about the losers who give you bad rep because they mightn't agree with a (good) point your making, as opposed to giving you bad rep for making a bad point.
    You just have to not care about it.
    I got bad rep because someone didn't like a song I was listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Have a look at this thread for example. I ask a question and i loose 3 rep points for it. Now if i had of known who gave me the bad rep i could take it up with them.

yeah too many losers on the boards who give bad rep for simply disagreeing with the point made :eek:

I find the anonymity to be a pain in the arse. Id like to know who is giving me bad rep.

OK i deserved it. Someone deducted points without even making a comment.

*weeps uncontrollably*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Gizzard wrote:
    yeah too many losers on the boards who give bad rep for simply disagreeing with the point made :eek:
    and spelling missteaks two.

Advertisement