Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Reputation Be Disabled ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You just have to not care about it.
    I got bad rep because someone didn't like a song I was listening to.
    LOL - man thats a good one. I'm not too bothered - I was just providing a solution to that issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

or get revenge!

I think that's the point about not having names, Karma isn't supposed to be about revenge. Having names would encourage taking "revenge", which messes with the Karma concept even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lol got more apples and appleback (Which means positive rep?).

This is why Rep is a game.. I was 312 this morning. I am now at 357 despite getting numerous reds (apples) today. So giving negative rep to higher up reps is pointless.

This is why the system is pointless.. however I am enjoying the game. :)

I assume the apples comment is in relation to Doodle_sketches "Bad apples" comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

i want to declare my undying love for beruthiel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

yep just got this rep feedback

<QUOTE>
    Lamer. Shut the **** up.
    </QUOTE>

on the "Did Jesus really die" thread, I got to say I was asking for it I guess :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

How do you see all these reds and greens ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

why not have it as a personal option .

people that dont want it can deactivate it while also giving up there option to give or take rep points

people that do want it can leave theirs activated and be able to give or take rep points.

i personally dont like it especially when i get bad reps but it is only fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

well, I am pretty indifferent to it. I like all the funneh comments I get..but I dont like when I get a red box with no comment. It is a game as Hobbes said, I like to be able to pass out good karma when I can.
    If its here I will use it if it isnt then I will get over it ;)

sharkman wrote:
    How do you see all these reds and greens ??????

Click UserCP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have waited all day after posting on this thread and no one has given me any positive feedback yet.
    i promise everyone who gives me good feedback and leaves their name, i will give positive feedback to as well.

its kinda like ebay, but you dont have to buy anything!
    COOL!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

:D
    I would eamo
    but I gots ta spread it around first ;)

oh and btw, I look just as ravishing twisted drunk thanks very much! you lush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hobbes wrote:
    I assume the apples comment is in relation to Doodle_sketches "Bad apples" comment.

Hmm... Does this mean I coined a boards slang term then? ;)

Pity who ever was giving me my "apples back" (which I took as someone trying to be offensive, hence the comment) accidently took 9 points off me :eek: :D Oh well...

Beruthiel wrote:
    :D
    I would eamo
    but I gots ta spread it around first ;)

same here ;)

Negative rep "You're only saying that cos of ur pos rep. It's not a game. It's stupid and annoying..", along with numerous and I mean numerous red apples.

One positive rep just wiped them all out. I am at 371 now (higher again then my last post) and I've been getting numerous negative rep points all afternoon.

Like I said it is a game. If you think it is annoying, just ignore the dots and collapse the rep drop down list.

You honestly think I look at peoples dots when I read their posts?

[edit] Hush Eamo :p Of course I don't.

YES!
    dont you?

i dont bother talking to anyone with less than 2 green dots personally...

I taught we had a deal... :`(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Hmm I hate all these damn rep threads and believe posting in them is a sure fire way to get negative rep but since this may be one of my last posts on boards...

I like the idea but not the system. In politics while negative karma is given to those who post idiotically, negative karma is also being thrown around just because ppl disagree with a point, not the way its being made. Thats stupid imo, if you disagree with someones views you make a constructive post illustrating why you disagree not give karma with the comment "WRONG".

Lots of ppl have said shure whats it matter, tis all just a game. It is very embarrassing and demeaning for those with red dots beside their name. Some people surf boards because they dont get along well in Real Life TM. Those people are now going round with signs saying how unpopular they are. Look at me I have no friends ANYWHERE.

I also believe that there are some very imature ppl on boards. People are creating multiple accounts to give themselves positive karma and their enemies negative. There are ppl who give karma with a msg asking for the same in return.

I dont believe it is fair that a "popular" person's opinion is more important that a n00b. Why shouldnt a person with low karma be able to critisise another.

There are two trends which i see emerging on boards (although it may be that Im just noticing them for the first time).
    People are becoming more agressive and offencive and Im not just talking about the anonymous comments. Everywhere ppl are flaming in what I think is an effort to gain popularity; its worse than school. Those who pick on the weak and unpopular rise to the top (though im not suggesting for a minute this is how those with mega rep have gotten it, I believe only certain ppl are doing this).

Conformity. Many users are toning down their opinions, moving away from radical or unpopular stances. Nobody want bad rep. They ave an opinion or a view but dont want to express it. Im not saying ppl are crying themselves to sleep but some ppl arn't "comfortable" anymore.

My suggestions if anyone is interested is to replace the comments box with a standardise list of reasons. eg
    Positive: Funny, Origional, UnMke helpful, Misinformed, Style
    Negative: Unfunny, Unorigional, Unhelpful, Misinformed, Style.
    This way you get a reason, its not hurtful, and ppl cant sign it just so as to get positive rep in return.
    Also everybody's opinion carries the same number of points. To avoid abuse from multiple accounts make it a requirment to have a certain number of posts.

I also think there is merit to the idea of a post receiving more than one coment before rep takes effect.

Opinions?

Conformity. Many users are toning down their opinions, moving away from radical or unpopular stances. Nobody want bad rep. They ave an opinion or a view but dont want to express it. Im not saying ppl are crying themselves to sleep but some ppl arn't "comfortable" anymore.
    Super point.

wrote:
    People are creating multiple accounts to give themselves positive karma and their enemies negative.

I never thought of that...thanks ;)

to be honest, i think a lot of 'new' users may find that to be the case.
    after all, if you have a system in place, people will look upon it as something to go by. so a negative, or low reputation, will mean your opinion is not worth squat.

i think some of the older heads, probably dont give a monkeys either way, and like myself, will tend to take the mick out of it. mostly cause we dont like change (someone moved your cheese recently?), but mostly because we have already been damned, and you dont need green or red dots to havea reputation.

FYI, beruthial isnt nice, and she doesnt deserve all those points. and hobbes is an alien. but shhhhhhh, tis all a consipiracy liek!

• Advertisement

People are creating multiple accounts to give themselves positive karma and their enemies negative.

Except that it doesn't work that way.

You create a new account, even if you were to give it loads of Rep points it will give gray dots. In fact the time it would take to get them up to green dot giving, they would only give 1 point which wouldn't make it worth your while (plus if an admin catches you they ban all your accounts).

The points system is based on.
    - How long you are on the board
    - How many posts you have
    - You rep vs the other guys rep.

They should reword it as a game to keep people happy then.

For example, I have gotten more negative rep from groups of people today then I think I have gotten in over 2 weeks, yet I still have over 50 points more then when I checked this morning.

This is why I am saying it is better played as a game. Arcade (as an example) has 3 red dots, he could post prose rivalling yeats and get loads of positive rep and still have red dots.

Doesn't mean anything, and anyone getting worked up about it needs to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm finding it quite groovy to be honest. Sure, I currently I have a special aura about.. something but I'm fascinated by it's social interaction implications. Anybody wanting it turned off have self-confidence issues. It's the only real explanation why they get upset when some random user gives them negative rep.

Right now I'm positive somebody will decide to give me negative rep for saying the above. Please feel free to but you're just proving my point.

I say give it a couple of months and if the stupid amount of threads started by the attention whores is still here then ditch it.

Hobbes wrote:
    Except that it doesn't work that way.

You create a new account, even if you were to give it loads of Rep points it will give gray dots. In fact the time it would take to get them up to green dot giving, they would only give 1 point which wouldn't make it worth your while (plus if an admin catches you they ban all your accounts).

The points system is based on.
    - How long you are on the board
    - How many posts you have
    - You rep vs the other guys rep.

They should reword it as a game to keep people happy then.

Well I wouldnt actually go through the hassle of creating a new account for silly rep points...I cant imagine that anyone would but its a crazy world.
    -you do realize My reply to necromancer was sarcasm dont you?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Hobbes wrote:
    Like I said it is a game.
    No it isn't, it's been made to be one, principally by people horse trading around rep to get more, for whatever reason. Now that's all fine and dandy and I'm sure people are just having a darling time but it actually negates any reasonable use rep points might ever have had.

As I've said before I like the anonymous feedback part but I hate the points. I hate the points even more now than at the start because people are pissing about with them for the laugh rather than actually applying them to good/bad posts. Which, after all is what they're for.

The system is so b0rked now that it's impossible to tell whether it would ever had been of any value. As I've said I doubt it would have been but it would have been interesting to find out.

Though I'm sure it's been great craic all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've grown to like it. It's nice to give something to people whose posts you enjoy.

People will get less worked up about it as time goes by. At the beginning, because everyone started off on 10 points, it was very easy to fall into the red after one unpopular post but this should stabilise as time goes by i.e. if people are mostly helpful/funny etc, their green points will outweigh their red points.

And remember, it's just a few pixels at the end of the day when the cows come home to roost after having said and done everything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, even if it has gone to pot, it has been instructive in suggesting ways that it might work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

YES!
    dont you?

i dont bother talking to anyone with less than 2 green dots personally...
    I'm sorry? i cant hear you.

i have a three dot minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

This thread has made me wonder what will
    boards V4 offer?

My wishlist:
    improvement of smilies
    structure mods into arch-admin - admin
    -sub-admin. Think this is almost already there
    but maybe not easy to use - sub-admin - needs
    trust to implement so only few forums here
    probably.

Maybe the ability to pay a mod to really delete
    a post - or thread you did - paypal or
    whatever - being the options. Amz would
    understand this sentiment methinks.

Just don't reckon she'd quote me a price...

[THE INITIAL VALUE OF SUCH REQUESTS NATURALLY DIMINISHES WITH TIME. ITS CURRENTY WORTH A PACKED OF CRISPS!]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DapperGent wrote:
    No it isn't, it's been made to be one, principally by people horse trading around rep to get more, for whatever reason. Now that's all fine and dandy and I'm sure people are just having a darling time but it actually negates any reasonable use rep points might ever have had.

Like what exactly?
    As I've said before I like the anonymous feedback part but I hate the points. I hate the points even more now than at the start because people are pissing about with them for the laugh rather than actually applying them to good/bad posts. Which, after all is what they're for.

Seems to work quite well to me, morons have bad rep, non morons have good rep as far as I can see, but then I haven't checked all the users on boards. Have you?
    The system is so b0rked now that it's impossible to tell whether it would ever had been of any value. As I've said I doubt it would have been but it would have been interesting to find out.

This statement is pure conjecture. You have no idea if the system is b0rked or not.
    Though I'm sure it's been great craic all the same.

Yeah it's been a laugh alright. Why not withdraw the wooden dildo from your ass and enjoy it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Like what exactly?
    Well it might have turned out as an indicator as to how a given poster is seen by the community as a whole rather than as a indicator of who bothered to fúck around with it or not. Some might have considered this to be useful or worthwhile.

If a given poster generally made interesting or amusing posts over time their rep would build up and it would act like a sort of a pat on the back to someone who deserved it. Or maybe rep could have acted as an impetus to people to make good posts, cutting spam and upping the readable stuff. I dunno.

I quite liked the idea of giving a bit of appreciation to a post that made me laugh or think without cluttering up the thread with some variation on lol or nice post. Or on the flipside telling someone to fúcking stop using txt spk pls.

Personally I dislike popularity contests so I don’t think I would ever have warmed to it, though it has taught me that the only thing sadder than a popularity contest is a rigged popularity contest.
    Seems to work quite well to me, morons have bad rep, non morons have good rep as far as I can see, but then I haven't checked all the users on boards. Have you?
    Only responding to this point just briefly enough to snidely allude to your inability to judge what does or does not make a moron. There, that ought to do it.
    This statement is pure conjecture. You have no idea if the system is b0rked or not.
    Me see b0rky. Me say b0rky. Unless you think a few posters trading rep points amongst themselves is the way it’s supposed to work.

Insert further crass allusion to stupidity here.
    Yeah it's been a laugh alright. Why not withdraw the wooden dildo from your ass and enjoy it? :)
    Given the choice between the two, I think I’d prefer the ass-raping with the piece of wood. At least that way my dignity would still be intact.

:):):):) - Four smileys, that ought to do it.

Advertisement