Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Reputation Be Disabled ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DapperGent wrote:
    Well it might have turned out as an indicator as to how a given poster is seen by the community as a whole rather than as a indicator of who bothered to fúck around with it or not. Some might have considered this to be useful or worthwhile.

It never would. Take an earlier example of a person getting negative rep for saying they posted they bought a PS2 instead of an XBox.

Imagaine they got loads of negative rep because the posted this on the fabled "XBox Fanbois". They then go to the "No one ever comes here" board and post some deep and intresting post. But because very few people visit the board they don't get rep for it (but they would if people saw it).

The only way such a system would work is if it was moderators only and the score only appeared on their respective boards.

But we had a similar system before and it annoyed people more then this system.

If a given poster generally made interesting or amusing posts over time their rep would build up

Again this is not true. If you take the 15 or so apples I got yesterday. If I had been a normal low range counts poster, I would of been screwed. No amount of good posts could of countered it.
    Personally I dislike popularity contests so I don’t think I would ever have warmed to it,

Wrong kind of game. It isn't a popularity contest. If it was, everyone could be green. More about stratigic use of your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

We have that already, its called Private Messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DapperGent wrote:
    Me see b0rky. Me say b0rky. Unless you think a few posters trading rep points amongst themselves is the way it’s supposed to work.

So a tiny minority are giving each other rep. So what? Is that not an accurate reflection of how boards works socially? There will always be little groups/cliqués /whatever.

Some users will use it, others won't. Some, like Merc, will find ways to abuse the system. Ultimately, in the long term, most users will give it as much thought as they do about little aul me :)

• Advertisement

me too....

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm getting the odd karma note expressing offence or hurt perhaps at what I've said in this thread.

Just to clarify: I'm not passing judgement or thinking less of anyone or deliberately trying to be an asshole. I'm not really trying to have a go at anyone. Well, except amp and then only briefly.

Just expressing an opinion. Don't take it to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh devore. youre such a big meanie to give me negative feedback!

guys, why cant you all just get along.
    give out a few karma points, be happy, not worry,. i mean, who cares how many green dots you have? they really have no relavance to populatity or penis size.
    i should know, ive only got two dots, and hoooge todger :)

DapperGent wrote:
    Well, except amp and then only briefly.

\:eek:/ A WINNAR IS ME! \:eek:/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Out of curisiosity, just thought I post a completely inoccuous reply here just to see karmic results...

...And also for the mods to see who are the complete tossers are who don't even bother to read a post before awarding negative karma :eek:

Luckily I now have -32,767 points. Just don't know if I need another 2 billion or so to get back to zero :-). Hopefully just another 2 :-)

[computerspeak=Moral of the story - don't post here unless you know what data type they've implemented your reputation in\computerspeak]
    Just don't post here; it is not without complete and utter arseholes who fcuk it up for everyone else :-(.

I don't wan't to single out any mod - but I've had most interaction with Ecksor. Ecksor - can you network this please and stop abuse.

Just hope you know what I mean!

Regards,

El5is

Luckily I now have -32,767 points. Just don't know if I need another 2 billion or so to get back to zero :-). Hopefully just another 2 :-)

Fail your junior cert maths eh? Bummer.

amp wrote:
    Fail your junior cert maths eh? Bummer.
    Type int.. aw forget it your not even worth it... so fo!

{Tourrette's syndrome kicks in...}
    You mfu! What I was referring to was how data was stored; this is boring computing bullsh1t. You can store a number in binary in any power reality is a multiple of 8 (digits). Reality is either 16 binary digits - giving 32,768 or 32 binary digits giving 2 billion.

Ya fcuking wkaner!
    {Tourette's syndrome recovery}
    OMG did I just blaspheme or offend? Hope to fcukin Jaysus I didn't offend :-)

that wasnt even remotly amusing. i want my 8 seconds back that you just wasted...

Type int.. aw forget it your not even worth it... so fo!

{Tourrette's syndrome kicks in...}
    You mfu! What I was referring to was how data was stored; this is boring computing bullsh1t. You can store a number in binary in any power reality is a multiple of 8 (digits). Reality is either 16 binary digits - giving 32,768 or 32 binary digits giving 2 billion.

Ya fcuking wkaner!
    {Tourette's syndrome recovery}
    OMG did I just blaspheme or offend? Hope to fcukin Jaysus I didn't offend :-)

You've got a tin foil hat haven't you? And you believe the world is run by giant blood sucking lizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amp wrote:
    And you believe the world is run by giant blood sucking lizards.
    OMG. You mean they don't?

Bah, everyone knows it the mice that run the world...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Victor wrote:

They're vegetarian actually

yeah, right.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:

Never said they didn't Vic. Now here, drink up this lovely drink, check your Nikes and prepare for the motherships arrival.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Bah, everyone knows it the mice that run the world...

total bollix
    have you not read "so long and thanks for the fish"!?!?!?!? :eek:

Yeah, but its been a while... Currently working my way through the original BBC series in anticipation of 6.30 next Tuesday night on R4, repeated again Thursday at 11...[/blatent plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Beruthiel wrote:
    total bollix

Its been a while since I read that book, but didn't it mention that the mice did in fact run the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hobbes wrote:
    Look at me.. do you think I care about negative rep or what they are saying? :p

Treat it like a game, you get more points that way.

Free greenies for those who vote NO. Red points for those who vote YES. :D

I voted no , spread the love .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Whoever gave me negative Karma , just because I wanted positive .. let your self be known to me !!!

I have some --- for you ;)

sharkman wrote:
    Whoever gave me negative Karma , just because I wanted positive .. let your self be known to me !!!

I have some --- for you ;)

Hey asshat! Happiness now, feel the love. Or I'll kill you.

:eek:

Beruthiel wrote:
    total bollix

Have you not read "Mostly Harmless"? We don't actually exist. :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I agree with WhiteWashMan.....

If you cant say something nice dont say anything at all .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

sharkman wrote:
    If you cant say something nice dont say anything at all .

!

Advertisement