Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BG2 Throne of Bhaal review.

Options
  • 28-06-2001 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Well I am I believe pretty much at the end of the game, so here's my thoughts so far...

1. Size. The game is huge however a little less then half of the game is devoted to "Watchers dungeon" which you don't have to play to complete the game. The Watchers dungeon can be played from the first part of BG2.

2. Storyline. It's pretty much following the story of "Highlander". The game is about 30% non-linear (at a guess), while the rest does feel non-linear you still have to follow a set path. More so then BG2 SoA.

3. Extras. Wow, all the characters start getting special abilities. For example my thief got "Use anything" skill at level 24 which means she now has really paladin bracers, armor and wielding two weapons which turn people mincemeat in seconds. Other skills include, death blow, assination, whirlwind attacks, summon Elemental gods, summon Devas, and lots more.

Overall though I found the game a bit easy. For one you have a new skill "Planer pocket" where you can drag your characters into another dimension. This is basically your home and means you can rest safely in the middle of a dungeon.

The dragons seemed a bit easier too. Maybe it's because my characters are all level 30+ and some of the high level spells are just scary, like Mondakians sword or dragons breath.

Lastly portions of the game you have to play out based on your alignment. So if you pick an evil character doing something which is good/neutral in it's actions can have adverse effects (not going to spoil the surprise smile.gif)

Worth the dosh.

Oh and there is a new character class. "Wild Mage" which personally I think is a pain. You get a level 1 spell which can cast any spell you have (memorised or not) but has a chance of doing really werid stuff, like a flock of birds appearing or a cow dropping on your head.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 28-06-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Malevolence

Sounds good Hobbes, and thanks for the review too. Well I think we've all come to expect a large amount of quality from all Black Isle games.

Anyway I'm gonna wait with eagar anticipation for Neverwinter Nights, possibly with a tad of Pool of Radiance 2 thrown in for good measure, as that looks rather good too.

Anyway has anyone heard what Black Isle and Bioware are gonna do with their AD&D license after NWN and the PS2 BG: Dark Alliance? I have heard something about them continuing on with FR (thank god as I love the Forgotten Realms) and the aftermath of the whole BG chronicles, but haven't gotten any further than those vague references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    The dragons seemed a bit easier too. Maybe it's because my characters are all level 30+ and some of the high level spells are just scary, like Mondakians sword or dragons breath.

</font>

What in **** is the exp cap?

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

8,000,000 xp cap. That's lvl 40 for most characters. Some characters can't go past level 31 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I am currently enjoying BG2 now... So I think I will get this loverly add-on...
    Better than the add on for the original is it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:

</font>

Hehe... I have lvl 10 and 11 characters, and the dragons were pretty easy anyway...
    Maybe it's because of the invunerablity of one character called "THE DEAN", he has an armor class of -12, and fire, magic, lightning, magical damage resistance...
    The guy is inpeneterable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

*sniff
    Do I smell a hack?

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

My current char in IWD is on -14 AC smile.gif
    Level 11 too .

Nope, no hacks at all, would you beleive!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At the end of the game my chars were about level 30 aswell. You just have to play every quest and kill lotsa mean monsters.

Advertisement