Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for RJ45 Jacks

Options
  • 13-09-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I'm finally getting around to hooking up the Cat 5 that I ran to each room of my house when it was built 4 years ago. I ordered RJ45 face plates from Elara, but when they arrived, there were no RJ45 jacks included. I couldn't find RJ45 jacks on the Elara website and emails requesting information went unanswered. I picked up a few on a recent trip to the states in a Radio Shack and I'm now cursing myself I didn't pick up enough to finish the job.

Any suggestions where I can pick up some RJ45 jacks online or alternattively somewhere in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

do you mean the head or the socket??

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Confusing terminology :)

I have lots of plugs (i.e. the male connector at the end of a patch cable).

I need lots of jacks (i.e the female connector which I presumed was part of the wallplate but is in fact a separate item).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yeah sorry - it's been a long day!! I know sum1 who calls the plugs cat-heads!!! :p What about somewhere like Radionics or Kedingtons? I can't remember the name of the last place we ordered cables from but I'll try to remember to get the name for you tomorrow...FYI I will prob forget - so feel free to PM me a reminder tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Radionics will have them. As far as i know they're called "PCB Data Sockets"

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Some people call them krone blocks even they though they are not normal krone blocks.. in Cork you could try PFH (Little island) or Kellehers (or is it Kellihers) Electrical on Tramore Road or Digilog in Washington St...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could also get RJ45 inline couplers - they are a little cheaper than proper data sockets , but not as immune to noise etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Any good electrical wholesaler should have these, thats where I usually get them.

Thanks for the help folks, but so far, no luck (online anyway).

The PCB data ports on Radionics are the type that you mount on a printed circuit board (hence 'PCB' I suppose). I need the type that snaps into a wallplate. None of the pictured items on radionics match this and the descriptions don't sound like this either. I'll try PFH when I'm next in da city (they're on Washington Street too, right?).

Meanwhile, I'm using inline couplers for the moment - it just looks messy, but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Whaty about Komplett.ie. They seem to have a selction of same. Or does the reputation on boards preceed them (although I've used 'em a good bit and found 'em to be excellent)?

Just checked Komplett and they appear to have wallplates complete with RJ45 female connectors. Unfortuantely they only have wallplates with two sockets (I only need one per wallplate) and buying them means the wallplates I bought from Elara are wasted.

However, this is my best available solution so far. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Maplin have them in their catalouge, so they might have em in stock.
    They are called "E Net 5 UTP Mod", order code UW17T. €5.60 a piece ex vat for 10 or more, €6.19 ex vat for singles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

T O'Reilly electrical supplies have them, my nearest being in Santry. I don't know know if they are in the PR of C.

They sell all the bits seperatly, so if you only need one jack, they'll sell you the spacers as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Stugots wrote:
    Thanks for the help folks, but so far, no luck (online anyway).

The PCB data ports on Radionics are the type that you mount on a printed circuit board (hence 'PCB' I suppose). I need the type that snaps into a wallplate. None of the pictured items on radionics match this and the descriptions don't sound like this either. I'll try PFH when I'm next in da city (they're on Washington Street too, right?).

Meanwhile, I'm using inline couplers for the moment - it just looks messy, but it does the job.

PFH are out in Eastgate (Little Island) now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

B&Q definity have em.

Gav

Advertisement