Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to access invalid address???

Options
  • 13-09-2004 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I have had trouble instaling some software from CD ROM under XP. These discs worked fine under ME but everytime I try and access the files on the CD get an an error message about "access an invalid address" I've tried transferring the files onto the HD and installing from there but still the same message. This occured on a CD that was supposed to be compatible with XP so I'm not convinced that it's a backwards compatabilyu issue. Anyone see anything like it before and if so did you solve it? I miss my old games (Tachyon for example)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Right click on the .exe file and select the suitable compatibility mode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I have tried that a couple of times but still no joy. It's a real pain in the ass. A similar problem occurs with other programs ewxcept the error is that the temp address is too long. I've shortened that but again it's a problem. Would you say that SP2 could help or would it cause even more issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Well, if the app isn't coded correctly it'll work OK on Me (with some luck), but will fail miserably on XP. XP has a much more stringent memeory management subsystem, and requires that applications are written with this security in mind.

Advertisement