Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New EU Insurance

Options
  • 13-09-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

I'm 17 and gettin my first car around Christams, my parents are buying the car but insurance is over 4 grand for a 1.3 mini cooper everywhere.
    Someone told me that there is a new EU insyrance coming in in the new year where any insurance company in the EU will cover you on Irish roads. So some Latvian company could insure you for half nothing considering they get paid half nothing over there.
    Anyone know anything about this? / Is it true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only if! Nah its not true and won't be until services are as free to travell acros bordrs as trade is, and it wont happen until insurance payouts here are as low in value as they are in Latvia! (I bet you did'nt think of that!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dcarroll wrote:
    I'm 17 and gettin my first car around Christams, my parents are buying the car but insurance is over 4 grand for a 1.3 mini cooper everywhere.
    Simple solution. At 17, presumably with a provisional licence and on your first car, get something with a smaller engine than a 1.3. Yeah, you can tell me you shouldn't have to but you're (presumably your parents but either way) the one who'll be paying the extra cash.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

dcarroll wrote:
    I'm 17 and gettin my first car around Christams, my parents are buying the car

Jaysis.. when I turned 17 I got gifted with a student bus pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

spockety wrote:

when I turned 17 I got my mas insurance to cover me on a 1.6 golf and it was the fastest thing I'd ever sat into at the time and it only cost me 1500 of our old pounds!! them were the days................

oh and if you're only payin 4 grand that's not flippin bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You got a student bus pass? You lucky bugger :)
    Someone told me that there is a new EU insyrance coming in in the new year where any insurance company in the EU will cover you on Irish roads. So some Latvian company could insure you for half nothing considering they get paid half nothing over there.
    Anyone know anything about this? / Is it true?

What's the point of getting your own car at 17? You won't be allowed drive it on your own. Get yourself put down as a named driver on your parents' car, it'll be much cheaper.

That EU insurance thing sounds interesting, but sounds too good to be true. And when something sounds too good to be true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stark wrote:
    Get yourself put down as a named driver on your parents' car, it'll be much cheaper

Not necesseraly, when insurance inspect policies, the premium will reflect the highest risk insured person. The highest risk being the young 17 year old un-experienced driver. The only way you'll really save on this is if the origional policy holder has a hefty no-claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

spockety wrote:

I got a pair of socks

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

do your test and do the hibernian ignition course and than should bring it down for you. Everyone has to pay those outrageous rates initially, you just have to grin and bare it. Once you get experience it will go down but you cant expect to just turn 17 and pay less than that.

Advertisement