Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Problem on Xp SP2

Options
  • 13-09-2004 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello peeps,

I am new to this bulletin, and am glad to share my problem to this board.
    And i think my problem is a big isue. The problem is when i update my winxp sp1 to sp2...my cpu : P4 3200 is running twice as slow down to 1.5 Ghz. I notice this when i play a 3d application like ut2003..The games runs to slow for 3 or 4 seconds and after that it runs normal.

So do I miss something??? :confused:

sysinfo.jpgsysinfo_02.jpg

My Rigg :
    Dell Inspiron 5150
    P4 3200
    Geforce fx5200 64 MB
    512 MB system mem.

Later!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Laptops reduce their processing cycles when not needed, so the battery charge gets extended. When you start the game, the laptop/software realises more processing power is needed so it ups the mhz to full.

It's normal as far as I know. Maybe it was something that wasn't enable before you installed SP2? I wouldn't worry to be honest, as, as far as I know, laptops are meant to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laterx

Thanks for the reply, but eh..how can i disable the feature..

I'ts something thats irritating me. especialy when im working on 3d levels for the game. So if i can disable this feature i would appreciate it if someone could help me with this...

PS. SP1 ran like an angel...... FPS? Very fast...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There should be an option in the BIOS to disable SpeedStep (or whatever they call it now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes take a look at the BIOS there should be settings for power options, also go to Control panel --> Power Options.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Not about your question and sorry for changing subject.

laterx, see your using dutch xp there! You dutch then and also living in ireland?

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I read on slashdot about people with dell inspiron laptops having cpu problems when they install SP2

Go to the dell forum (US) and have a look there, a lot of people have had this problem and some users have posted a way to fix..... re-installing a driver or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not just dell inspirons, it's most dells. i've had 2 latitudes do it too. never figured out what it was, but if you use a slipstreamed version of SP2 it seems OK.

there's lots of issues with people with laptops running like dogs after SP2 (even some here) so it seems to be a very common problem.

it was even happening with the last autopatcher (google it) pre-sp2 updates.

Advertisement