Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieving Text messages how ?

Options
  • 13-09-2004 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Looking to recieve text messages for multiple phone numbers.

Have looked at some text message providers but they seem to charge for recieving text messages. I want to upload the messages onto a website and view messages through my browser.

What are my options ?

Any help appreciated from anyone who has done similiar./..

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I looked into this a while back, but I never actually got the time to implement it.

I was more looking to send text messages, but the idea is the same. What I was looking at was connecting the mobile phone to the serial port of a PC. I actually did this and sent several text messages via Hyper Terminal. You basically issue AT commands to the mobile phone to send/receive messages (of course you can do a hell of a lot more than just send text messages).

From a programming perspective, you need to write a program that will send these AT commands to the serial port of the PC and receive the data back. I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult. I found a PDF on the Nokia website called 6210_SMS_en.pdf that gave all the details of the AT commands. PM if you can't find it, I should have it lying around here somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

tom dunne wrote:
    I looked into this a while back, but I never actually got the time to implement it.

I was more looking to send text messages, but the idea is the same. What I was looking at was connecting the mobile phone to the serial port of a PC. I actually did this and sent several text messages via Hyper Terminal. You basically issue AT commands to the mobile phone to send/receive messages (of course you can do a hell of a lot more than just send text messages).

From a programming perspective, you need to write a program that will send these AT commands to the serial port of the PC and receive the data back. I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult. I found a PDF on the Nokia website called 6210_SMS_en.pdf that gave all the details of the AT commands. PM if you can't find it, I should have it lying around here somewhere.
    I did this for my fyp. All you need is a mobile with standard tx rx pins and gnd. then a max232 and few caps and it'll connect up to serial port at 9600 baud.

Then AT+CMGR=x will read the x sms received.

Really handy stuff when using a pc with loads of memory
    I can send you some stuff if you'd like

oh and this is my 500th post. Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

lads this software might interest you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190147

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

You can now send and receive SMS with office 2003
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM010802791033.aspx

I have not tried it myself.
    If anyone else have tried it please post your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

There's also a set of COM components that Nokia provide that let you control the phone regardless of it being over serial or USB, that would get one out of having to write your own AT command stuff.

I can't seem to track down the install for it, but I used it for a bit this time last year and it worked just fine.

Tendofan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

joc_06 wrote:
    Then AT+CMGR=x will read the x sms received.
    Easier just to list them out in one go with AT+CMGL=ALL (be sure to put it in text mode first with AT+CMGF=1).

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Haven't had a chance to try this myself, but here's a couple links you might find useful:

http://www.gnokii.org/
    http://www.wrankl.de/SMST/SMSTransceiver.html

Advertisement