Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reputation should it

Options
  • 14-09-2004 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

ill try of think of all the options

should reputation 48 votes

be gotten rid of entirely
    0% 0 votes
    have usernames
    33% 16 votes
    required a reason
    25% 12 votes
    reason and username
    14% 7 votes
    f off this ain't no democracy
    27% 13 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Talking behind people's backs is rude,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gloryhunter

it looks like chewy is getting some bad reputation points :-) .

Keep them it shows what kind of poster you are.

And plus if people like you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I will be giving negative rep to anybody who starts a thread about reputation. Especially morons who can't see that there's almost exactly the same thread already in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

who can't see that the similar thread didn't have the options that people were looking for.. nearly all those who said the didn't like rep said they'd prefer it if the username was there and there was a reason given, in fact it seems most people don't think rep should be disabled, so that's a dead-end. so i put up this thread so it might encourage it to be changed slightly... a direct progression from the previous thread not a copy

look! i admitted that most want it kept but i also thought that most would prefer names added, i think rep means people won't reply properly in the threads i don't take the actual rep thing seriously

So the thread didn't have the poll options you didn't like so you put up a new one with poll options you prefer. That's a great idea. I don't particularly like your options especially the lack of Atari Jaguar option. Should I create a new thread with poll options that I like?

But wait! What if somebody else doesn't like the poll options I put up? Can you see where I'm going here or are you taking reputation as seriously as the other attention whores?

To summarise: shut the hell up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

more people giving me neg rep without reading to the bottom of this thread...

still i got as much pos rep as neg rep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i hear ye chewy....internet napoleons, sad really/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ya got a good rep point from me and thats all that matters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

You don't derve bad reputation points for merely expressing an opinion.

The positive/negative views on a post are interesting. You can view how your opinion has gone down.

My reputation seems to be the same colour as my favourite county.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm not sure if you think that your bad rep is merely because people don't like your opinion. I've given you bad rep a few times when it has been clear to me that you're not trying to actually argue the point being put do you but merely expressing the party propaganda that you subscribe to, which is just wasting time for someone trying to follow a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mmmm, I'd never give someone negative rep just because I didn't agree with them. I've handed out quite a bit of + for posts I certainly wouldn't agree with (some on politics, some on motors, a few elsewhere) because the point was well argued or the post was well put. Or funny, I like funny.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The only people I've seen lose serious rep where I wasnt sure that they deserved it have been people complaining about either:

A. Getting negative rep... and like thats kinda funny.
    B. The reputation system.

Should we have an Opt Out option? Would it be fair? I've a sly idea to charge for it as one of the subscribers options hahah... would certainly pay for our next server!! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think the rep. system should only be allowed on the for sale forum (if possible) and disable it for everywhere else.

this would get rid of can i trust this guy with 50 posts feelings around there.

Or!

Do away with negative rep except for moderators on their own forums, where the guideline is that it's for people who are disruptive or trolly, rather than for opinions etc.

Only allow positive reputation to be given by the starter of a particular thread, for threads that he/she feels is a helpful or insightful post. People will be inclined to help out people who have a high reputation, although not if they get a name for being stingy :)
    Mods on their forum also get to give good rep for generally helpful or good posts.

Lastly ...
    Giving away reputation reduces your own score, so it becomes more of a currency and we do away with wanky love ins that you see on threads like this.

Disclaimer: VB3 doesn't support any of this so practicality rating is virtually zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ecksor wrote:
    Giving away reputation reduces your own score,
    But isn't giving love a good thing that should be rewarded?

/me finds a Hobbes post to give neg to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ecksor wrote:
    Or!

Do away with negative rep except for moderators on their own forums, where the guideline is that it's for people who are disruptive or trolly, rather than for opinions etc.

Only allow positive reputation to be given by the starter of a particular thread, for threads that he/she feels is a helpful or insightful post. People will be inclined to help out people who have a high reputation, although not if they get a name for being stingy :)
    Mods on their forum also get to give good rep for generally helpful or good posts.

Lastly ...
    Giving away reputation reduces your own score, so it becomes more of a currency and we do away with wanky love ins that you see on threads like this.

Disclaimer: VB3 doesn't support any of this so practicality rating is virtually zero.

Ecksor, you are my new hero *sniff*

KEEP THE NORMS IN LINE!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Victor wrote:
    No, giving love is a good thing that is rewarded by the act itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor wrote:
    A full box of tissues should work a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

ecksor wrote:
    Or!

I think you could implement this by allowing mods to give neg rep by permission and then using conditionals to take the option negative option away from mods everywhere except their own forums.

Well, the main issue with practicality is that my programming urges are directed elsewhere for a while ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

huh, huh
    he said 'urges'

sorry
    still wrecked from the weekend
    braindead...

How about removing the ability to give/take rep to people who abuse the system? I'd imagine that'd be easy enough to do or am I talking out of my arse as usual? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

amp wrote:
    How about removing the ability to give/take rep to people who abuse the system? I'd imagine that'd be easy enough to do or am I talking out of my arse as usual? :)

Our panel of experts say ... Maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

if $user
      mentions reputation.system
        karma(-1)
    else
      ignore

This is my system and it works for me.

amp wrote:
    How about removing the ability to give/take rep to people who abuse the system?
    Just give them -250 Karma. They won't be annoying people for a while. :D

Victor wrote:
    Just give them -250 Karma. They won't be annoying people for a while. :D

Yeah, that could work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What defines "abusing the system" Vic?

Gordon wrote:
    What defines "abusing the system" Vic?
    Who cares? -250 should cause some LOLs, thats all I want. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I figured it out...

(To be said in your best Tony Montana voice)

First you de reputation

Den you get de power

Den you get de wimen........

Advertisement