Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless

• 14-09-2004 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into getting a laptop to use for college work etc, and I decided to take a look into Eircom's wireless options. Does anybody know if the router they offer allows you to connect a PC using a standard RJ connection as well as the wireless option, because I don't fancy having to splash out for the USB connector as well as the PCMCIA card...

If not, does anyone know of a compatable alternate that would allow me to do this? I'm taking a look on Komplett, but I don't know what might be compatable with the Eircom package and whats not... Or are there compatability issues at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Dunno what eircom will supply you with router-wise, but have a look at http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/ for some bundle deals, eg a Netgear DG834G and "free" PCMCIA card for €128+VAT, or you could get a Linksys WAG54G on its own for €108+VAT (That would be enough if the laptop you're going to buy has built-in wireless). Both of those have four ethernet ports as well as the wireless, so you could hook quite a few machines. :D

I'm sure others will be quick to point out cheaper options for both of the above though. :cool:

And no, there aren't any compatibility issues with the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The easiest thing is probably to get a bog standard ethernet modem from Eircom and then buy a wireless AP that uses that ethernet connection to share the connection on your LAN/WLAN. Komplett sells a bunch of suspect brands or you could try amazon.co.uk for brands like Linksys or D-Link or Netgear. I believe they are cheaper than those prices quoted above. Most wireless AP's come with 4 ports for wired connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I have the eircom wireless router with the usb thing for the pc and card for the laptop. They both connect at the same time and there are 4 ethernety ports at the back of the router.

Incidently if you get it ask eircom to send out the wired router cause its free anyway and you really own it so you'll have two!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I already have the wired router, but I was curious as to whether it would allow me to directly connect my machine to the internet without having to get the USB dongle... But if there are four ethernet ports I don't see why it shouldn't... Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the provided links.

Advertisement