Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Water Problems....

• 14-09-2004 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

We have a problem with lime/hard water - to the extent that it is destroying equipment such as showers, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. ..degrading their lifespan significantly.

Just looking into available options in terms of water treatment.
    Have any of you been faced with a similar scenario and if so, what water treatment service/device have you utilised in order to sort it? How did it solve the problem and how much did it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Eurorunner wrote:
    We have a problem with lime/hard water - to the extent that it is destroying equipment such as showers, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. ..degrading their lifespan significantly.

Just looking into available options in terms of water treatment.
    Have any of you been faced with a similar scenario and if so, what water treatment service/device have you utilised in order to sort it? How did it solve the problem and how much did it cost?

We had the heating element replaced in our electric shower about 2 months ago. It was 5 yrs old. We don't have a main water softner.
    For the washing machine we use a limescale remover that you add to the wash (you know the one) and for the kettle we use a descaler every now and then.

The water does seem to be really hard, also in the Kilkenny area it's got far too much Iron aluminium etc in it. It tastes horrible. They were warned to sort it out by the EU commission a while ago, but nothing has happened since. We spend loads on bottled water, after reading what the side effects of of too much iron and aluminium can do, it's a good job.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

We use the descalers and lime removers but the water is extemely hard here and we have to look at a more comprehensive solution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

www.ewtechnologies.ie
    I done a website for these guys and got their filter in - immediate difference in the water quality. They will be able to tell you what you need to get - price you etc....
    mention that the guy that did the site refered you they may give u a discount ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I thought about that. Then I worked out, if you need to change them every 3 years (thats with a normal water supply, probably 1 - 1.5 years here) may as well stick to the descalers. Having to fork out for an 80 -90 euro replacement water filter every 3 years doesn't seem worth it. Thats if you only need need the one as well.

Does anyone have any experience with 'water softener systems' as opposed to filters?

Need to make a decision on this soon but could do with being a bit more informed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have the same problem in D.15. We're using as filter on the main water tap in the kitchen for drinking water, which has made a big difference to that. We also have an electrical unit for helping with the lime. It seems to have reduced the limescale but not completely.

Well, there goes another shower :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

Hi,
    I know this thread is old but it seems the best place to post my question
    I've just moved into a new apartment (renting)
    The water is really hard in the area,
    The problem hasn't reached a stage where showers, washing machines etc have broke down, but its really hard to keep floors, tiles, bath, sink, toilet etc clean and the kettle has already got a considerable amount of lime.
    and to top it all off my hair has turned into straw and my skin is so dry i'm getting spots too.:( :eek:
    Anyway Would it be a bit much if i asked the landlord to install a water softener?
    After all it will be to his benefit in the long term!
    Or should i try one of those magnetic things that apparently soften your water.
    Do they even work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

I moved recently moved to an area of hard water, I bought a water conditioner on e-bay for about €90 and it really works. It puts an electronic pulse, into the water when connected to the mains inlet. This somehow affects the structure of the various particles that make limescale and they cannot bond together. I'd reccomend it. Mine is a 'Clearwave' water conditioner. Chadwicks sell something similar but carge around €200. Even at that its cheaper than replacting washing machine / dish washer/kettle elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Mine wasn't all that effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement