Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai Jam

Options
  • 14-09-2004 1:22pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having not seen anything lately in comic stores (and given that I'm not really awaiting anything to come out this month, except Hellblazer : Setting Sun, which may or may not be any good since I'm still unconvinced by the idea of Warren Ellis writing John Constantine) I ended up picking up the collected "Samurai Jam" by Andi Watts the other day, out of curiosity more than anything else, and ended up really digging it.

Its stories revolve around a group of teenagers living in Jam Town, a bit of a dump where there's hardly anything to do, and even less to do without getting in trouble with the cops. It's very much the work of someone starting out in comics, but I think this is part of its charm. I enjoyed watching the artwork evolve and change (although I think that overall it was strongest in the second issue), and watching the slightly daft and (considering the sort of breathless hyperactivity often present in this kind of comic) down-to-earth "adventures" the characters have. Although I could never quite work out where it was supposed to be set - some bits felt like an american town, other random phrasings and settings felt very English.

Anyway. It was a dead good read, and I'm keen to read more Andi Watts stuff. Other realms has a few Skeleton Key books in stock at the moment, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything in particular as a good starting point (other than the obvious "start at the beginning")?

Advertisement