Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick eircom rental question

Options
  • 14-09-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wring place to post.

My father got a phonecall from Eircom today saying they were getting rid of their rental payments. I'm not sure if this was line or equipment though. I know you can send back your eircom phone and stop equipment rental.

This seemed to be something else though.

Anyway this guy is calling at 4 today and I want to be there. Would anyone know what its about in more detail? I didnt do a big search so even a link would be great.

We are on Newtel at the moment so I'm guessing he'll try to get us to change back too. I just want to be prepared when he comes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

cosgrove80 wrote:
    My father got a phonecall from Eircom today saying they were getting rid of their rental payments.
    Assuming he's not talking about phone rental, I'm preparing for the Big Lie™. Can you get the guy's full name (nice and easy at the start, just in case you have any further questions and so on), take detailed notes or even better, record the conversation (please, no-one bring up legalities, he can record it if he wants, the issue is what one gets to do with it after). Definitely notes and a name as I think we're in for a treat. Obviously up to you if you want to commit or return or anything fancy. I really want to hear the Big Lie though, even if it's just the weak "you stop paying us 24.18 a month and start paying us 30 a month instead and you'll get a few free minutes out of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

So people have experienced this before?

I can't even find the packages on the website.

If he says they are cheaper than other pepole he's lying right?

Who would defenitly be cheaper? I would love a few names just to prove him wrong.

Anywhere I can get a table of comparisons of all the phone companies?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want my Dad to sign anything.

Thanks again

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Who would defenitly be cheaper? I would love a few names just to prove him wrong.
    Quickest example off the top of my head is the latest from UTV (here). Pay them the 24.18 rather than Eircom by changing your billing to them (old system, pay Eircom 24.18, pay UTV nothing, new system pay UTV 24.18, pay Eircom nothing) and you get free off-peak calls to Irish and UK landlines up to an hour in duration per call.

Esat's offer (here) is pay them (or Eircom) the 24.18 PLUS pay Esat 25 per month and get free at-any-time calls to Irish and NI landlines up to an hour in duration per call.

Eircom's talktime offer (webpage is session-based - go to eircom.com, click Products & Services, find talktime under Call Packages & Discount Plans, go for How much Does It Cost) has a number of plans - cheapest is pay them 29.99 a month instead of 24.18 and get 300 off-peak minutes and 120 friend free minutes. Full package details including mobile minutes available on that page.

I'm less familiar with Newtel's plans but the info is available here

That should be all the info you need. Is the guy lying if he says he's cheaper? Depends to a certain extent on who you phone and when you phone but he's definitely lying if he makes a simple statement like "we're the cheapest". In any case you've all the detail above to make an informed choice. Especially if you print the stuff out.

As for people experiencing it before, while no-one's ever bothered caling me (unless Esat were calling during those three weeks I wasn't answering the phone), people have mentioned here that they were explicitly lied to by Eircom's guys on the street/beat/whatever. Sunday Business Post ran a story about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the info. I was looking at eircom.NET :rolleyes:

I'll get back with anything worth reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

sceptre wrote:
    Quickest example off the top of my head is the latest from UTV (here). Pay them the 24.18 rather than Eircom by changing your billing to them (old system, pay Eircom 24.18, pay UTV nothing, new system pay UTV 24.18, pay Eircom nothing) and you get free off-peak local calls to Irish and UK landlines up to an hour in duration per call...

Its actually free off-peak local AND NATIONAL calls.....

Mike

• Advertisement

Delphi91 wrote:
    Its actually free off-peak local AND NATIONAL calls.....

Mike
    Bah, dunno why I typed the word "local" in there. Post above edited.

Advertisement