Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too early!

• 14-09-2004 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

I find it annoying the way shops put out halloween things soo early. I was in blanch the other day and they had all the stuff out already, and its like nearly two months away.:rolleyes:

They do excatly the same for christmas stuff aswell. We'll probably be seeing the christmas decorations coming out before halloween is over!!!
    And then in January we'll see the easter eggs!!

I dont know why they do that, by the time halloween and christmas actually come around your already feed up of it, having to look at it for two months before hand!

Has anyone else noticed this, and what do you think???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Penneys already have started selling Santa figures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

You are completely right, it really is ridiculous.

I remember passing by the RDS in mid June and there was a "Christmas fair" on. Presumably this was a trade only affair but it really shows the attitude of buisness toward this time of year. It is the one time of year when everyone seems to splurge on gifts,etc.

Christmas is merely a cash cow nowadays so it is understandable but far from acceptable that the retail industry are doing their best to stretch the twelve days of christmas to occupy a two month period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

I'm 22 and i can't remember when Christmas wasn't a "cash cow"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Has anybody noticed how people start complaining about Christmas decorations earlier and earlier every year! Really annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I love Christmas and Halloween but I have to agree its way too early when they start stocking the shelves and its getting earlier and earlier. Its not fair on parents with kids either as you are inflicted with them asking you for stuff everytime you go shopping. They're already showing all the ads for the toys on the tv and if I hear "can I get that" once more I'll scream!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I'm just waiting till we reach critial mass on this.

We move it further and further till we discover we're putting up our halloween decorations in November, and then it finally happens we start putting up our decorations for next year before this years halloween.

What will happen then a constant struggle between easter halloween christmas and valetines day, as we're bombarded 24 hours a day by carols, pumpkins, chocolate hearts, and bunnies until our minds snap and we decend into holiday civil war.

Of course people do say I should get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

where's your festive spirit. ITS CHRISTMAS![/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

mycroft wrote:
    Of course people do say I should get more.

Indeed, if we could all get more then maybe the complaining would stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

The things people worry about :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

it's true, tesco in ballybrack have there halloween stuff up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well summer's over, back to school season is finished, so It's just about right for Halloween. Of course, christmas decorations usually come up around mid october, so there's some overlap there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

And as soon as Halloween ends they'll be rushing to put up the Christmas decorations. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In the near future, September - December will become Chrismoween. Or does Hallowmas sound better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Or you could just go with good ol' fashioned Decemberween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly... What's wrong with you people!?

Has the notion of planning ahead ever entered your heads? I'm one for putting away a bit of cash every week in the run up to christmas so I'm not rushing and broke come december, and I've started saving just the other day for this christmas. Common fecking sense tbh, who cares if it's a "Cash Cow" for dunnes or penny's to stick out a few decorations, I'm glad it works out like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

tbh, September is a slow month at retail so shops need something like Halloween to spruce things up.

I find it amusing that the decorations are up already, but y'know, it's such a significant occasion.

Trick or Treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

My first job was in a wholesale Cash & Carry that sold all sorts of crap... including Christmas decorations and gift sets and the like.
    Christmas for us always started the first week in July... that's when all the containers of Crimbo crap arrived from China and we had to start stacking the shelves.
    Christmas finished on the last week of March (the January sales went from Jan-March!!!) :eek:
    THAT'S 9 BLOODY MONTHS OF CHRISTMAS!!! :(

I worked there for nearly 4 years... man, I hated christmas back then!

On a lighter note... I always have my family's christmas presents bought by the end of September. I'm not some mental nutter... honest!
    The reason I get everything early is that I hate rushing round town, in the Christmas mayhem, trying to find overpriced crap at the last minute.
    There's always sales at the end of summer and nothing like the crowds in the shops that there are mid December! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mousie

Its 100 days to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Happy Love Day everyone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We don't have to wait til after halloween for the christmas stuff I'm afraid! I was in Liffey Valley the other day and Boots had all their gift sets out, with the little christmas labels, and their wrapping paper. M&S had wrapping paper too. Only reason I hate it being out so early is it makes time up to christmas and my birthday go soooo slowly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I hate autumn and winter. Christmas is the only good thing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

We don't have to wait til after halloween for the christmas stuff I'm afraid! I was in Liffey Valley the other day and Boots had all their gift sets out, with the little christmas labels, and their wrapping paper. M&S had wrapping paper too. Only reason I hate it being out so early is it makes time up to christmas and my birthday go soooo slowly!

Liffey Valley? how can you shop there? it sucks!
    Blanch and Dublin all the way....
    anyone seen a shop on Liffey st called k-ot-ik? or visuals? they rule!

Liffey Valley? how can you shop there? it sucks!
    Blanch and Dublin all the way....

I know I prefer them too but am avoiding Blanch and takes too long to get into town if I jst want an hours shopping!

yeah suppose, liffey valley is only bout 15 mins away from me so its handier then getting the bus for an hour or gettin sum1 to drive me to blanch

I know I prefer them too but am avoiding Blanch and takes too long to get into town if I jst want an hours shopping!

hey just read youre from maynooth, any chance you know a pink haired girl called sue?

I know her to see more than know. I'm finished school now tho. Don't think she knows me.

heh heh, everyone knows Sue, she's going out with my brothers best friend, youve probly seen him in maynooth as well, really tall long black hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Brown Thomas in Cork put up their christmas decorations alreday... everyone follows after them then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

if anyone has had experience in marketing you'd know why...

but i still see where everyone is coming from....pretty annoying alrite :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

On a lighter note... I always have my family's christmas presents bought by the end of September. I'm not some mental nutter... honest!
    The reason I get everything early is that I hate rushing round town, in the Christmas mayhem, trying to find overpriced crap at the last minute.
    There's always sales at the end of summer and nothing like the crowds in the shops that there are mid December! :D

It's perfect sense there!

Honestly, I just don't get it when all these other people whinge about christmas coming too early. What do they want? A government ban on shops putting up christmas displays untill December 24th? How about a law that restricts the sale of likely presents? Slogans like "Know a family member who has been buying presents before the allocated christmas shopping period? Turn informant! Many rewards and prizes to be won!" on posters? :confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

theres a brown thomas in cork?

you learn something new everyday........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

theres a brown thomas in cork?

you learn something new everyday........

oh aye

you could get some designer children to eat there :-)

Advertisement