Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do???

• 14-09-2004 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Ok, a couple of months ago I started a thread about the guy sitting in the desk next to me in my office .... basically he smells really bad.
    Well things have gotten a lot worse since the thread .. yes the smell is still really bad but he has now taken up the hobby of sniffling ALL BLOODY DAY LONG!! i mean really annoying, want to pull every hair out of his head with a tweazers annoying...
    I don't want to be mean & come right out & say it but I'm really at the end of my patience.. especially about the smell..

Any suggestions short of lamping him over the head???? :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

just say out of the blue "do you smell something... smells like a dead rat or something under the floor..." or something along those lines... see how he reacts to that.

If not just say "hey bud you smell... get it sorted", in a rather less blunt way... If not mention it to HR or your manager and ask to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

make him a necklace of those christmas tree air freshners. And force him to wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

spoon wrote:
    make him a necklace of those christmas tree air freshners. And force him to wear it.

I think I would nearly have to do something like this cause after the last thread another myself & another one of the girls asked him out straight if he used aftershave & had a discussion about it but in a kind of nice roundabout way & he just hadn't a clue... it's like he is afraid of water, he has gotten so bad that he wears a dirty baseball hat to cover his really greasy hair.. it's gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

grow some balls and tell him straight out that he smells like ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

then go to the hospital to get your wounds seen to...

If it were me, I'd go to HR and ask to be moved.. but thats only because I'm bad at confrontations. Surprising someone hasnt already said something really.. Is he of French extraction?

You could always leave an anonymous note ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

rymus wrote:
    then go to the hospital to get your wounds seen to...
    She is a chick, I'd be surprised thats how he would react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

bring in a bucket of water and some soap and throw the whole lot at him!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

ya know what, and I am serious here...if you havnt taken this situation to your boss or HR dept in all this time then you deserve to smell his funky aSs.

All you have to do is tell your boss or whoever has the power there that his BO is affecting your ability to work and that if you cant be moved could they speak to him about it.
    They are required to after a complaint has been made.

If your boss does not say anything then you can ask if you can say something, but dont get urself in trouble and go telling him to take a bath before you tell ur boss.

You could be sly and come in early and leave a nice gift bag on his desk full of deodorants and shampoo's and a little card about persoanl hygene and
    co-workers, dont let anyone know it was you.
    That should give him a clue.

If after all that has been done and he doesnt change or you are not moved then make it impossible for him to bear the smell of you. Spray perfume and air freshners all day, use pungent oils or lotions and scented candles. He will no doubt not like the feminine smells con=ming from ur desk since he is used to manky BO. He will ask to be moved or quit.
    There is nothing you can do since you have to cover up the smell of his BO to breathe , if your boss says something.

I sprayed perfume all day until my BO buddy moved away finally. These kind of people wont generally start wearing deodorant for you so you just have to fight smells, with smells ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Give me his email addres. Illl tell him we can all smell him from the office next door when we have the windows open.

Might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

New guy with attrocious BO joined my company a few months ago and sat opposite me. Even though there was a 5ft partition between us I could still smell him. In fact even the people about 20ft away could smell him!

Anyway, after 2 weeks of his over-powering stench I left a can of lynx on his desk on the Monday morning( It was gone by lunchtime but sadly the smell wasn't!)
    By wednesday the smell still hadn't abated so some lynx shower gel was left on his desk (again he took it home but obviously it was far too precious to him to actually use!)
    On Friday a print-out of an article from the VHI website on body odour and how to combat it (i.e. basic frikkin hygiene) was discreetly left on his desk.

By Monday, he was smelling like a 14 year old who got a hold of his older brother's aftershave before heading to his first disco.....I bribed one or two of the girls in the office to tell him he smelt nice and ask what he was wearing (fragrance wise) and that seemed to do the trick.

Total outlay was €10 (had to buy a packet of chocolate mikado's to convince the girls to compliment him) but problem solved !

Plain sailing since then !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I have a gasmask you can borrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

Keep rolling up balls of paper and throwing them at him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

As far as I see it, you have three options:

1) Confront him;

2) Bring the problem to the attention of HR;

3) Follow him at a discreet distance when he leaves the office one night. Run up behind him and knock him out with a baseball bat.
    Drag his smelling carcas home. Blindfold him, and lock him in a cage.
    At regular intervals, do one of the following:
    - Blast loud music into his ears
    - Poke him with a pointy stick
    - Pour acid on his skin
    - Laugh at him for long periods of time
    Repeat until he has been reduced to a blubbering man-child, a former image of himself, a pathetic boil on the buttocks of humanity. Then quietly and gently give him a lecture on the benefits of personal hygiene and that if he does not sort out his BO problem you will capture him again.
    Drop him off at his home with a bar of Pears soap and a large can of anti-perspirant.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

BEAT wrote:
    You could be sly and come in early and leave a nice gift bag on his desk full of deodorants and shampoo's and a little card about persoanl hygene and
    co-workers, dont let anyone know it was you.
    That should give him a clue.
    This option gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You were given loads of advice last time but you didn't follow it. Talk to your boss, he/she's supposed to sort stuff like this out (they'll have a quiet word with him and it'll stop).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

vomit on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Get a few people to tie him to the chair and then spray a few cans of Lynx over him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Get a hamper with shower gels, soaps shampoo's, etc etc and raffle it and rig it so he wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

Bring in a whole load of air-fresheners and but them near his desk....maybe he'll get the picture

oh jezzuz....loz and winters have me sittin here laughin away whilst my brother pops his head rounf the door to see if i'm alright....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The suggestions about leaving shower gel and printouts about BO are great ideas. But tbh dirty rotten smelly kunts like that probably still wouldnt get the hint.

well.....then if you brought in a bag of garlic...smacked him with it...and ran away...would it make a difference?

Advertisement