Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a web-based front end to an access database using frontpage 2003

Options
  • 14-09-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

How difficult is this to do and what is involved?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would presumable be using ASP.
    How difficult? That really depends on your abilities. Are you familiar with HTML? Are you familiar with ASP?
    Start with something like www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/tutorials/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I'm very familiar with html, I have no experience with ASP. I do however have know some Java, would I be able to pick up ASP easily.
    The web-end would need an administrator page for an administrator to manage access to the database, setting up users, initial passwords etc. A log on page for users, a page for users to update the database.
    The database is already done, so it just needs a web-based user interface. Is there a lot of work involved setting this up?

You could quickly learn ASP by reading something like www.manastungare.com/asp/ archive/A_Practical_Guide_to_ASP.pdf.
    I have code for this kind of thing already done if you want to email me (info AT kbannon DOT com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Callan wrote:
    I'm very familiar with html, I have no experience with ASP. I do however have know some Java, would I be able to pick up ASP easily.
    The web-end would need an administrator page for an administrator to manage access to the database, setting up users, initial passwords etc. A log on page for users, a page for users to update the database.
    The database is already done, so it just needs a web-based user interface. Is there a lot of work involved setting this up?

where to start, well first up frontpage is ****e, I would not touch it with a barge pole for real programming, next Access is fine except it is a bit limited on the access username password front. my advice would be if you are going to learn a programming language, try PHP its easy and powerful, then use a tool like HTML Kit which has plugins for PHP and ASP, much better the FP, finally I find MySQL (or even MS SQL Server) easier to work with then Access but thats up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Someone else has created the database, he wants me to create a web-based front end for the access database. I would have thought what I'm trying to do would be basic enough, or am I wrong? I will have to use frontpage aswell, as there is no alternative where I am.
    What I really wanted to know is will I be able to do this, I have 3 weeks to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Callan wrote:
    Someone else has created the database, he wants me to create a web-based front end for the access database. I would have thought what I'm trying to do would be basic enough, or am I wrong? I will have to use frontpage aswell, as there is no alternative where I am.
    What I really wanted to know is will I be able to do this, I have 3 weeks to get it done.

Well you will need to know some kind of scripting language to actually read the database and some SQL, the rest is just HTML, you would insert script into the HTML that Frontpage created, its up to you what script language to use ASP, PHP, JSP whatever, Coldfusion is an easy TAG like database scripting language, but its unlikely to be installed on your webserver.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ASP.Net might be better than plain ASP to get the job done quickly. It's more smilar to java style programming than the older ASP (though still pretty different), and there's loads of tutorials available, try www.4guysfromrolla.com for begginner to advanced level ones. There's a freeware package called sharpdevelop out there somewhere that can help and I think microsofts visual web developer express package is free too (which would be better) http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

don't bother - learning is for chumps
    Google for a ASP source site.
    Find a script that links to an access DB
    Modify it
    Wolla
    Code re-use......

well if you are going to re-use someone elses code then as said before, email me (info AT kbannon DOT com). I have something similar to what you want @ www.kbannon.com/members & it is access based

Advertisement