Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave or Breeze?

• 14-09-2004 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Which one?

I'm sharing a flat with 8 people in Glasnevin.

As far as I know there are 3 people who want to
    share the broadband connection including me.

Since I'm renting I'm not mad about getting an antena on
    the roof although the landlord said it would be ok but I
    might only be there for a year, and IBB might try to charge me
    the 150euro to remove it similar to another post in this forum.

The ripwave would be handy (no antena) but I fear it would be much
    too slow being shared between 3 people.

I want to make a choice but fear has been instilled on me after reading
    from other people's bad experiences.

Hope you can help.
    PS
    I wan't it uncapped so Esat,Eircom,NTL are neh. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Shiny wrote:
    As far as I know there are 3 people who want to
    share the broadband connection including me.

The ripwave would be handy (no antena) but I fear it would be much
    too slow being shared between 3 people.
    If all you want it for is browsing and e-mail, then Ripwave would work, even shared between 3 people.

If you want to do any serious downloads or intensive gaming, then forget about it - you'll need the 1MB Breeze product.

As for €150 to remove it? You're only going to be paying €12/month each for the service. Charge the others €18, and put the excess aside as a "deposit" fee, so that if you leave, and they want to keep the service, you get your cut of the installation fee back from the pot. (And offer them the same deal).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would recommend Breeze over Ripwave for your set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

As there is no installation with Ripwave, I would suggest you try that first. You can always go Breeze at a later stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

As ripwave said, the "ripwave" service would be ok, but only for browsing and the occasional download. The pings would be too high for low latency gaming.

If you'll be doing a fair amount of downloading, easy enough with 3 people and i'm sure more will join over time (don't let em freeload :p), so you may end up needing a 1meg service. In that kinda circumstances you'd need the 5.8ghz VL gear, with the 1meg service.

As for removal fee, thats a new one to me. They charged me EUR150 to put the antenne up, and they damn well aren't charging me EUR150 if they want it back. I'll take it down myself and hand it to them at their door if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah, sorry for not including it in my origional post but
    YES there will be some intensive downloading.

2 of us will be doing a lot of downloading although I dont
    know about the 3rd lad.

I now have to find a program to evenly distribute the bandwidth
    if everyone is using the net at once. :rolleyes:

I also just got off the phone with the landlady and she said I
    can get the antena installed whenever I want. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ok... heres what i recommend.

Firstly get in the antenne. But don't take the service unless they guarantee you that its the 5.8ghz equipment that they'll use (2.4ghz can be flaky, as anyones home wireless network uses that frequency). I'll post up a picture of the 5.8ghz "modem" in a sec, so you know what it looks like (about a DVD box long, 3 DVD boxes high, and about 1/2 a DVD box wide, whitish in colour).

Secondly, set up a dedicated "server" box to split the bandwidth. Someone wanted to do this, and posted up a thread not long ago, i'll hunt it out. But the best way to do this is through Linux. So grab an old old computer, stick linux on it (remove extra peripherals that suck up power) and use that.

If you can't do that, the only thing you can do is get a standard router thingy, and then install Netlimiter on each computer, and make people limit their traffic if someone wants to game (or if one person is hogging :p).

Secondly, set up a dedicated "server" box to split the bandwidth. Someone wanted to do this, and posted up a thread not long ago, i'll hunt it out. But the best way to do this is through Linux. So grab an old old computer, stick linux on it (remove extra peripherals that suck up power) and use that.

If you can't do that, the only thing you can do is get a standard router thingy, and then install Netlimiter on each computer, and make people limit their traffic if someone wants to game (or if one person is hogging :p).

Yeah I have netlimiter but Doesn't that limit the clients bandwidth 100% of
    the time?
    I wan't something that will give a person full bandwidth if no one else is
    using it and divide the bandwidth in the other case where more would be using.

I'm currently looking at building a server/0.8TB raid backup system but I just
    cant seem to justify the price for what I'll be using it for.

here is what scary had to say about IBB:
    Rang IBB yesterday about disconnecting my service ( moving house and all) without asking any details I was told I would have to pay €150 to have someone come out and take the equipment down. I laughed and told them I would get up on my roof and do it myself but the nice chappy on the phone said that could not be done and the charge went towards sending a crane out to get it down ( I kid you not) Needless to say direct debit will be cancelled and if they want the equipment back they know where it is.
    scary

Thats what worried me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Well it costs them to go out and move it for you so wy not charge you for it?

If your 12 month contract is up they do not charge you fro removing the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I have breeze myself and am reasonably happy

I see bad things about ripwave on these boards so id be dubious about going for it.Also breeze is 1meg up and down now so that might suit your downstream needs better although contention will no doubt be an issue...

Moonbeam wrote:
    Well it costs them to go out and move it for you so wy not charge you for it?

If your 12 month contract is up they do not charge you fro removing the equipment.

I understand why they charge the money.

What I am saying is why take it down when the next tenants may
    be delighted to reactivate the service? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement