Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SP2 extracts, but doesnt install...

Options
  • 14-09-2004 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I got the SP2 CD in the post this morning. Im trying to put it onto a friends PC but It extracts and then does nothing. No error messages or nothing. He doesnt have SP1 or any updates installed. Why wont it install?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Does it give an error message?

If you open up task manager, is update.exe running?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

After extraction, there is no error messages, nothing at all. Update.exe isnt running either

hhmm -that's weird.

How did you start setup? Did you just double click on the xpsp2.exe or did you use some switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

remember reading there the other day that spy ware can cause problem

download and run adware and see if that makes a differnet allso won't hurt if you scanned for viruses

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had the same problem on a friend's computer. Checked the computer and it had loads of spyware and viruses on it.

• Advertisement

Good point Jim_bob - I never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

His virus scanner is well out of date. I cant install AVG either. same problem. I might create a slipstream xp sp2 cd and format it

Advertisement