Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian Quote

Options
  • 14-09-2004 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I just called to get a quote from them and including the 20% minimum I get from the ignition course my insurance would be €624, half what it was last year with axa. Anyway, I told them no when they asked id I had penalty points, in case they just refused me a quote. Does anyone know if this will make a difference to the quote? I have four points

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

It will up the cost much !

however if you dont tell them - and they find out and if you or a third party claim - they'll invoice you for first 3 grand of the costs !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

This is from the hibernian website
    What happens to my premium if I have more than two penalty points?

If you have three or more penalty points on your Irish driving licence, you will not qualify for any penalty points discount on your Hibernian motor insurance renewal.

If you have more than five points on your Irish driving licence, your premium will be loaded to reflect this. This loading will range from 10% upwards, depending on how many points you have.

Please note that we impose a claims excess of €2,500 for non-disclosure of penalty points. We give full details of this excess on your policy renewal.

http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/motor_penalty_points.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Dang, I think I'll call and give a different name etc and see how much it is with 4 points and then weigh up my options

your better off just telling them cos it will only be another 60 or 70 quid.

How did you get the points?

Dont know if it makes a difference what you got them for or not????

One was for doing 43 in a 40 zone, the other for 50 in what I thought was 40 zone, Pinnock Hill Swords. 60 or 70 isnt bad but I have a feeling it will be more

• Advertisement

43 was fairly harsh.

Just re-read what I actually posted and they say you dont get an increase if you have less than 5 points. But I suppose your quote is including the 10% discount for having no points.

So officially you should be getting quoted just under €700 with 4 points. Prob best to get a quote under a fictional name just to see.

Let us know what the result is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

FX Meister wrote:
    One was for doing 43 in a 40 zone, the other for 50 in what I thought was 40 zone, Pinnock Hill Swords. 60 or 70 isnt bad but I have a feeling it will be more

The 40 Limit on Pinnock Hill is stupid and they are always there tax collecting for the Gov. I dont know about hibernian but do they not have an online quote that you could try out your various options,

I was playing around with the insure.ie online quote and they added
    €140 to my quote for having 2 points. Interestingly when I put in 12 points it still only added €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FX Meister wrote:
    Dang, I think I'll call and give a different name etc and see how much it is with 4 points and then weigh up my options
    Just tell them. You'll get screwed if you have an accident. Screwed in a morally correct way IMHO but either way it'll potentially cost you a lot of dough in the long run. It should only be about 70 euros in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I am with Hibernian. If you are applying for the no points discount you need to give them your licence number, so you won't get away with it.

I just got a quote with the four points and it's €977.42. I guess I should also tell them that I did have a claim in the past three years. It was a refugee driving a banger with to license, tax or insurance and he smashed right into me leaving me having to claim from the insurance bureau. It wasn't my fault so I don't think I should have to mention this and I didn't claim from my insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The Muppet wrote:
    ....Interestingly when I put in 12 points it still only added €140.

Probably because your car is unlikely to crash into stuff when it's parked and covered in cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

On the whole Hibernian penalty points policy - they're planning to introduce a sepcific discount for non-penalty point holders from November 1st. The discount will be 17.5% on renewal premiums and 10% for those who have two or less points.

Nice to see that they're rewarding good drivers (and also ensuring they get plenty of renewals too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

FX Meister wrote:
    I just got a quote with the four points and it's €977.42. I guess I should also tell them that I did have a claim in the past three years. It was a refugee driving a banger with to license, tax or insurance and he smashed right into me leaving me having to claim from the insurance bureau. It wasn't my fault so I don't think I should have to mention this and I didn't claim from my insurance.

Have you found that if you mentioned this your quote does go up? Surely it's only claims against your own insurance that count against you.

That's what I've been told so I'm leaving it out. A few years ago a mate of mine had a artic truck reverse into him when he was stopped at a set of lights and because of this his insurance went up, it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

My current car policy is with Hibernian. I got the renewal notice recently and anyhow the price has gone up. Did an online quote and it was 20% cheaper. No explanation on the phone.
    But the peculiar thing is my SO has 2 penalty points (_that's_ a laugh she's not a speedy driver) but my insurance is cheaper with her and her penaly points than if I try insurance on my own. WTF? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

FX Meister wrote:
    the other for 50 in what I thought was 40 zone
    I presume you meant to say "the other for 40 in what I thought was a 50 zone". Otherwise you only got yourself to blame.

I also called axa who quoted me the same as last year, cheeky so and sos. And then I called quoteline who I am with and they offer me the same amount as last year but this time the lowest quote was with someone else, not Axa as before. They said it came up the same with and without my points.

fletch wrote:
    I presume you meant to say "the other for 40 in what I thought was a 50 zone". Otherwise you only got yourself to blame.
    If I was doing 40 in a 40 zone which I thought was a 50 zone then I wouldn't have got the ticket surely. So no, I did mean to say I was doing 50 in what I thought was a 40 zone. I'm hardly going to blame anyone else for it though am I? But that said, I don't think the speed zones are signposted well enough in this country

FX Meister wrote:
    I just got a quote with the four points and it's €977.42.

I hope you pulled them up on this.

They say you dont get the discount for having 3/4 points and you get loaded with 10%+ if you have more than 5 points, so how can they charge you 50% more. That means they were giving you a 50% discount for having no points. That is unbelievable. I would take that further if I were you.

Yeah, it seems like the difference is 36% and not 17.5% as according to them.

• Advertisement

Back to this old topic again. It turns out I have three years NCB and not two as I thought. Hibernian quoted me €644 without ignition, and €549 with ignition course. When I told them I had four points they changed it to €776 withoug ignition and €660 with ignition. I don't have to do the ignition course as I have three years NCB. I rang my broker and the best they can do for me is €900, they were friendly on the phone when I told them I would be switching insurance companies.

After talking to my broker a load of times they have finally brought my premium down to €627. I lied to them about how much Hibernian were giving it to me for and kept at it until they matched it. A big jump from €900. I guess the moral is lie to your broker and keep busting their balls, as Cartman would say.

Advertisement