Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About time to have another of DeV's bad beat storys! Woot.

Options
  • 14-09-2004 4:12pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This one takes the biscuit.
    Three of the Suited Aces lads decided to play the 50/50 in the Fitz last Friday. Its a savage game, very tough but very good for your poker skills. Nearly 50 sat down at it and the three of us agreed to split any winnings we made (LaFort, Hyzepher and I).

I didnt see a hand for the entire rebuy period so I sat and did very little, involving myself in only one post flop hand and narrowly avoided having my head removed by a A-high flush versus a house!

Heading to the break I thought to myself "hey, maybe the other guys are doing well". When Hyzepher shot me a look of pure p|ssed-offness and headed past the topup desk towards the door I thought "oh oh"...

Getting no cards is bad but getting cards and not hitting is worse and Chris was out through just bad luck. Luke hadnt won a hand either, which meant that our crack commando poker squad hadnt won a single hand by the break. I had 2800 left, Luke 3300ish and Chris was gone. Not good!
    Wooo go Suited Aces! (slaps forehead).

Back after the break and my cards improved a little but I could feel the tilt monster sneaking up when I started taking on Ettie and nearly had a row with a bloke when he objected to me calling for a 3 on the river for a straight board when I wasnt in the hand, of course the 3 hits!

I scuffled around until there were about 3-4 tables left and I was down to 2700 after bouncing around 4000 for a while. I look down and see AcJs. I go all in as the blinds are reasonable with one caller before me. BB calls me as does Paddy Hicks. Flop comes Jxx all clubs... in my head theres a can-can going on, top pair, top kicker, nut flush draw. It really doesnt get much better than that realisitically! A queen hits the turn and paddy bets it... oh oh... BB calls... OHOH. River pairs the board with a 4 and more betting from the lads. I have a serious feeling that I'm walking. Paddy turns a 5 for 55s and 44's. BB turns a pocket pair of 6's and I win with the Jack. Sweet, maybe my luck is turning!

Indeed my luck changes and I motor to about 10K. Nice. On second last table I'm dealt AA in the BB. SB raises it to 3.5K and I start to speech play with him to make him think I'm fishing for info and have a beatable hand. I go all in with a big dramatic two hand shove and he calls me with KJ.....20K!

Then final table forms and lo and behold Lukey is there too. Well arent we special! Hyzepher has an interest too as he gets a split and watches from the side. A few of the smaller stacks double up annoyingly as that means the table is heading towards lottery territory with the blinds.

Then this hand happens: I'm dealt aces in late position. Before I act one guy goes all in for 11K. Sweet! Blinds are 1/2K but I dont expect anyone to follow when I quickly call, I dont mind if they do as then its possible I'll get a freeroll against the original all-in since I have twice his stack. Alternatively I might just pick up his 11K cos unless an ace comes on the flop all of my chips are going in.

Sure enough one guy sits and thinks about it and then calls.

Flop comes Qxx rainbow. I couldnt have asked for this hand to go better. I am, indeed, loving it. All In. The next guy looks dejected and says "well I have to call you" and throws in another 9K.

The original all-in reveals pocket queens for trips queens. I remember sucking a battery as a kid and the taste in my mouth and the feeling in my stomach is very similar right at that point.
    ok, but I still have the other guy, he's more or less paid for my bad luck with the pocket queens right?

He turns QT for a pair of queens. The turn hits his ten for two pair and I lose everything.

Now I felt bad about this beat until I was half way home. Looking back on the hand, between both player they have 4 cards that directly improve their hands. One guy ONLY has the last remaining Queen. The other guy needs to hit either QT, or TT as he needs two cards to help him.

Top prize was 2100 notes, there was 150,000 chips in the tournament, and 50,000 of them were in that pot.

b0ll0x.

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

You forgot to mention my magical 'wave' of luck that brought you those first pocket Aces.

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh sh|t yeah hahahha...

I cant abide people looking at my cards, its like I think in my head that if someone else has seen them then that information is out in the open domain and therefore everyone has it or has access to it.... come to think of it its probably because of this site. Genies rarely go back into their bottles!

Anyway, this happened on the second last table...

I was showing Hyzepher my cards but as they were uniformly terrible my only option was to make a stab at bluffing for the blinds. I honestly couldnt do this with anyone looking at my cards, not that I felt Chris would react but *I* wasnt mentally up to it.

Anyway, I said I wasnt going to show any more cards and Chris understood even though it must have been pretty boring just to sit there supporting us. So he says "ok, here I'll give you the magic Aces wave!" He then makes the GHEYEST little wave over my cards and with a big smile says "there you go!".
    I look blankly at him... "That, is the gheyest thing I've ever seen".

I look down and theres two stone cold black aces in my hand in the BB.

I say he's a witch and we burn him!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

DeVore wrote:
    This one takes the biscuit.
    Three of the Suited Aces lads decided to play the 50/50 in the Fitz last Friday. Its a savage game, very tough but very good for your poker skills. Nearly 50 sat down at it and the three of us agreed to split any winnings we made (LaFort, Hyzepher and I).
    <snip> LEARN TO REPLY WITHOUT QUOTING EVERYTHING!

DeV.

Jesus you suck at cards Tom, only joking hard luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DeVore wrote:
    <insert bad beat sh!te here>
    I remember sucking a battery as a kid and the taste in my mouth and the feeling in my stomach is very similar right at that point.
    ok, but I still have the other guy, he's more or less paid for my bad luck with the pocket queens right?Now I felt bad about this beat until I was half way home. Looking back on the hand, between both player they have 4 cards that directly improve their hands. One guy ONLY has the last remaining Queen. The other guy needs to hit either QT, or TT as he needs two cards to help him
    DeV.
    I'm sorry to say this DeV but I nearly bust out loud laughing at that final table when this hand happened.
    The look on your face was absolutely priceless, I expected you to scream "Do you know the fcuking ODDS on that sh!t happening??!?!, I could barely keep in the giggles...

I think I played 1 hand in about 3 and a half hours early on in that tournament. I had one stone cold bluff when I was in the BB, everyone folded and the SB completed, and I had 73o and shoved all in. The SB thought and thought and thought and eventually folded K10 face up. I told him I had an Ace. I think a little wee came out while he was debating putting me out of the tournament...

PS Don't try to bluff all in on K8o when the button has pocket tens, its not a +EV play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

So did either of you kids hit the green?

Cause I had a fantastic day of gambling on Saturday. 3 winners at the horses in Leopardstown, then go for a meal to celebrate, and to keep her happy as i tell her im off to play in the Holdem omaha game, tee hee, plug away for the night, my friend Paul comes in 3rd and I get knocked out 2nd. Oh well couldn't care less its been a while since ive hit decent cash. BTW seeing the guy who knocked me out trying to act generous by throwing Brendan 2 * €5 chips nearly made me sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

gerire wrote:
    So did either of you kids hit the green?
    [/i]
    Money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

gerire wrote:
    i] BTW seeing the guy who knocked me out trying to act generous by throwing Brendan 2 * €5 chips nearly made me sick[/i]
    Just on the very slim off chance I ever hit the money, what is the standard tip for a dealer?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I leave 4-5%. I refused a deal recently simply because the cheapskate wouldnt leave shag all for the dealers. I like having Marq, Brendan, Kieran et al deal for us, its like a mates game. (Where the mates are dressed in tuxedos :) ). I know the tips are divided but a tenner tip for whats probably 3-4 hours work is a bit scabby.

Ger, I was never so fooked off to win 100 notes back. I was the last person not to make profit, though if you had told me that I was going to get that far at the break I'd have been chuffed.

Luke, yeah i was just looking at it shellshocked. I'm just glad I didnt dive into the pool to grab the chips and be dragged off by the security, Hollywood style!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

DeVore wrote:
    I leave 4-5%. I refused a deal recently simply because the cheapskate wouldnt leave shag all for the dealers. I like having Marq, Brendan, Kieran et al deal for us, its like a mates game. (Where the mates are dressed in tuxedos :) ). I know the tips are divided but a tenner tip for whats probably 3-4 hours work is a bit scabby.
    DeV.
    Is it usually just the outright winner who tips? Or naturally if there is a deal done those making the deal provide the tip?

I came 2nd won €450 and left 50, >10%, making sure he saw me doing it aswell, I was blantetly obvious about what I was doing and hoped he copped it and left money

• Advertisement

Normally I'd expect 1st and 2nd to leave tips, 3rd might or might not... Anyone involved with a deal should leave a tip or (more usually) a tip is taken off the top from the total before it is split. Arguing about that deduction in front of the dealer is pretty poor form in my book. Normally I'll round it to the nearest 50 to make the split easy and leave the rest for the dealers provided "the rest" comes to more then 4% of the total.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

gerire wrote:
    I came 2nd won €450 and left 50, >10%, making sure he saw me doing it aswell, I was blantetly obvious about what I was doing and hoped he copped it and left money

Is that not a huge amount to be tipping?

Is that not a huge amount to be tipping?
    I would say 5% is enough (imho!). I think Ger was making a point though by over tipping...

DeV.

1. Yes it was making a point, plus 2. I wasn't going to ask for change from a 50 to only leave 25 or 20 to them

Advertisement