Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow.

Options
  • 14-09-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

We were sitting in the lounge this afternoon and heard a thud which seemed to come from the front door area. We looked out the lounge window and saw this on the front lawn.

Kestrel_1.jpg

Kestrel_2.jpg

Kestrel_3.jpg

My first thoughts were Kestrel, but then I thought Kestrels don't kill wood pigeons just small stuff like mice etc and they are brownish.

I now know it's a female Sparrow Hawk.

I actually videoed the event until it flew off and have taken the stills from the vid.

Video here 18MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It came back today. I scared it when I went into the back garden.
    It left this behind.

DVC00169.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

WOW is right ! You have some great shots !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

WOW is right! Jayzuz! That's like having oyur own Birds Of Prey display in your own garden.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

wow, I could have done without seeing the carcus, yuk...but those are some good pics you have three. lucky you had a camera handy ;)
    thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I guess your talking about the one on top of the bin. It was a bit gory. I didn't get a chance to clear it up till later, by which time the crows had also had a good go at it. :eek: It was even worse looking then, but I didn't take any pics of that. I wondered where the head went.
    Did you look at the vid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Just had a look at the vid - nice work! It's so cool when you see stuff like that up close.

BM.

Advertisement