Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

dangerous driving - opinons please

Options
  • 14-09-2004 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

im up before a court on a charge of dangerous driving soon under the following circumstances:

caught doing 99mph on a dual carriageway(motorway in everything except name)

first offence

was late for a meeting, have note from my boss to confirm this and also saying that i need the car for work and am generally a good worker and it was out of charachter

also its a new car, hyundai lantra 1.6 litre which is an upgrade from a suzuki swift 1.0 litre...so ill be putting it to the judge that whilst i knew i was speeding i didnt realise that i was going quite so fast, i thought i was doing a more reasonable 80/85mph as i wasnt yet accustomed to the much faster and smoother feeling car i was driving

thats pretty much it, opinions appreciated on what kind of punishment you would expect for such an offence

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I reckon you'll be very lucky if you keep your licence. The "new car" excuse, IMO anyway, makes you look stupid because you are effectively saying that you haven't a clue how to drive. The speedometer is in front of you, regardless of how smooth you think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

A note from your boss saying you were late for a meeting will get you no where, it's no excuse and bound to iritate the judge further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/driving_offences.html
    Careless driving: This is defined as 'driving a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention'. The Gardai enforce careless driving offences and this involves a mandatory court appearance. From 4th June 2004, a driver charged and subsequently found guilty of careless driving will receive 5 penalty points on their licence. Drivers may also be fined up to a maximum of 1,500 euro, or given a prison sentence to a maximum of 3 months. (You should note, the courts also have discretion to impose both the 1,500 euro fine and the 3 month prison sentence together).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

you'll get a really big fine at best or a fine and points!!

would say you'll be looking at a ban though unless you've a really good solicitor to plead your case for you!!

100 mph is an instant ban afaik and you were just under it by 1 mph you'll be luck to get away with your licence!!

you have my sympathies mate been there myself but had a bloody good solicitor and the guard liked me for some reason!!!

I still shat a brick waitin to find out what my fete was goin to be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

Dangerous Driving makes me really annoyed, you should be ashamed.
    grrr, so mad at u right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I got stop by the police doing 93mph and just got a speeding ticket he told me that if I had being doing 100+mph I would have had to go to court.

You will know next time. Good luck and I hope it works out ok !

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

MickFarr wrote:
    I got stop by the police doing 93mph and just got a speeding ticket he told me that if I had being doing 100+mph I would have had to go to court.

You will know next time. Good luck and I hope it works out ok !

maybe you were on a motorway and up till a couple of year ago (been that long since I was done for it) you could do up to 25 over the limit before you "had" to go to court!! was only a fine otherwise but now we've penalty points!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you were 39pmh over the limit. thats well over 50%. get a solicitor and dont even think of using the new car crap, if you past your test you should be able to drive any car

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

can your solicitor not prove that you were just speeding and not dangerous driving, ie was it bright, dry, good tyres on the car, are you an experienced driver, no history of dangerous driving. Dont really have a clue but people always get off with it and dont loose their licence.

a wad of cash for the poor box won't harm you either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Assuming it was 99 on a quiet dual carriage way in good conditions, its a fecking laugh calling that dangerous driving...just another case of bash the motorist i reckon. When they gonna be out catching real criminals etc etc...mutter mutter.

But since that rant wont help you in court. :) Will the ole 'keeping up with the traffic flow' excuse help?

And contrary to other posters definately mention you need the car for work and submit yours bosses note as proof. Although none of your other mitigating factors will help I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You'll get 5 points for sure - and probably a fine - if you put your "mea culpa" face on...considering the top speed of the car is 112mph the cops will make the dangerous driving stick and if you are not contrite you could easily lose your license. If it were me I'd say "guilty" and "yes your honour" and let the lawyer say everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

damo wrote:
    was late for a meeting, have note from my boss to confirm this and also saying that i need the car for work and am generally a good worker and it was out of charachter
    "Please excuse damo's dangerous driving, as he was late for a business meeting"?

If I was a judge I'd throw the book at you for having the gall to even think about presenting a note. IMHO, it'll only come across as disrespect for the judge and the legal system.

Put your hands up, say "fair cop", and you'll get the lightest sentence. 10mph, maybe even 15mph, over the limit because of a bigger engine fine, but 40mph? Come on, the judge will think you're taking the piss. Especially if you say "I thought I was only going 80/85". Have you thought about how ridiculous you'll sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you get your case heard in Cavan maybe you'll get the judge that (essentially) let two drivers from Northern Ireland off for speeds over 110mph.
    In Galway there is a judge that gave probation to a woman who stabbed a taxi driver in the arm when he asked her to stop smoking in his cab!

[RANT]
    I have no sympathy for you. I regularly report people breaking red lights to the Gardai, asking them to issue a warning. If the Gardai weren't so busy closing down teenage discos in non-trading licensed premises (ha! not illegal according to yer boss Minister for Justice!!) and putting speed camera on the Stillorgan dual carriageway these people might get points.
    Of two junctions that I've reported multiple instances the Gardai told me they've had multiple reports from others too!! There was no comment that they were going to do anything about it.
    Much of my ranting is because I am a (highly visible) cyclist but many drivers don't seem to see me.
    [/RANT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

smokey2 wrote:
    maybe you were on a motorway and up till a couple of year ago (been that long since I was done for it) you could do up to 25 over the limit before you "had" to go to court!! was only a fine otherwise but now we've penalty points!!

It was just before the penalty points came in so a couple of years ago but it was on the N3 before kells not on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Your best approach here is to plead that this was a one-off lapse in your otherwise good character, so a reference from your boss saying that you're normally of consiencious character etc. is fine, and also, your boss saying that you depend on driving for your work won't hurt. Just leave out the part about having changed to a bigger car, and especially leave out the part about being late for a meeting! You need to be seen to be really, REALLY remorseful about it.

You'll get a couple of points and a good whack of a fine at least, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tell the judge that you were píssed and that it wasn't really your fault then but in fact it was the barman's fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Given the current run of casualties and how close this issue is to the front of the newspapers atm, I'd bring some vaseline with me.

Apart from that, I'd agree with the other posters, honesty and contrition are the best policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I'll echo what others have said on this. A letter giving a character witness might help, but forget the rest.

Speeding because you found somebody badly injured at the side of the road and wanted to get him to a doctor may well be looked upon as mitigating circumstances. Do you really think the judge/court would accept being late for a meeting as an excuse though?

I'd forget pleading about a new car as well. It has a speedometer, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

and people wonder why ireland has such a carnage on the roads lately :rolleyes:

If you wanna test out your new car.. theres plenty of legal track days on in mondello where you can safely drive your car at them kind of speeds. Check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I was stopped by a cop on the new Dundalk bypass a few weeks ago and he clocked me at 94mph :eek:

Afaik I'm gonna get a fine in the post and that's it. I was lucky I guess. The cop was a nice enough guy and was more concerned with the recent deaths on Dundalk roads as opposed to points and fines etc...

No arguments about the fine I was done fair and square but I honestly can't see how driving at 94mph on a perfect new motorway such as the Dundalk one in perfect driving conditions is that dangerous but I'm sure plenty on beg to differ...

and people wonder why ireland has such a carnage on the roads lately
    How many were on motorways/dual carriageways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

How many were on motorways/dual carriageways?

are you taking the piss.... 1 death is way to much.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

damo wrote:
    caught doing 99mph on a dual carriageway(motorway in everything except name)
    I haven't read the replies to your main post yet, but I have absolutely no sympathy for you. In fact, I suspect your "excuses" will result in you getting laughed out of the court (as you head to the bus/train/taxi).

are you taking the piss.... 1 death is way to much.. :confused:

It's a simple question. Maybe if Gardai spent more time patrolling the poor excuse for roads where the vast majority of deaths occur instead of safer motorways and dual carriageways, then maybe the toll wouldn't be so high.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its crazy that you can't object to a charge, for fear of getting a bigger fine or getting a ban. If it was a straight forward speed thing, i'd say 4 points and a few hundred notes, but because its dangerous driving, you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Lads, what's with all this sypmpathy crap, he was doing basically 100mhp in a 60mph zone and is trying to use all sorts of excuses to excuse himself. There's probably more to it than him just speeding to get a dangerous driving rap, it was a dual carraigeway so it most likely had numerous junctions and traffic lights, were you putting the boot down between lights and weaving in and out of traffic ? If you used the "I was late for a meeeting, here's a letter from my boss, and by the way I didn't realise I was going so fast because it was a new car" you'd be laughed out of court and rightly so, the judge will see that you shouldn't be allowed on the road at all if you can't control a car. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

It's a simple question. Maybe if Gardai spent more time patrolling the poor excuse for roads where the vast majority of deaths occur instead of safer motorways and dual carriageways, then maybe the toll wouldn't be so high.

deluded.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

all you dangerous drivers should go kill yourselves, rather than killing innocent people with your driving. it should be you people that died not people like my dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sweeper4

deluded.....

Could you explain why you think Tommy is deluded?
    I don't see the value in placing the majority of speed checks (Obviously they should still retain a proportionate prescence) on proven safe dual carriageway and motorway. Would you not see the value of a Garda prescence on our rural routes, especially at the times consistently flagged as having high occurances of fatalities?
    Clearly our police force is currently in the business of trapping rather than prevention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement