Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Recent NTL Installation experience.

• 14-09-2004 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the long first post to the board but I thought I'd give as much detail about this.

I've been trying to get the eircom\esat service for two years without any luck. I always get the usual line is not suitable reply from them. We started getting ads through the post a few months back statinging that NTL's service was now in our area. I didn't really want to get it due to the horror stories I'd heard from people in work about their customer service. But a few weeks ago I decided that I had no other option and I phoned to enquire. The first thing they did was check their computer to see if it was in my area. After they saw it was, I made an appointment for them to come out and install the system. The two blokes arrived on a Saturday afternoon. They had to install another TV point in my bedroom, which meant they had to run a cable from the box outside and drill through the front wall of the house. They set up the tv point and then connected the modem. It was then that they noticed something was up. The leds on the modem wern't coming on correctly so one of them said my signal wasn't strong enough and that somebody would have to come out on Monday to install an amp on the box outside. They would then have to come back to install the modem (why? this is piss easy?). A week later (last Friday) another bloke came to check the signal. All he did was put a scope on the new tv point. He then said that my signal was perfect and that the other two must have made a mistake. Just before he left, I asked him if he was sure if broadband was actually available in this area. He said yeah it's available all over Crumlin but just to be sure he would check the box at the end of the road. He came back 10 minutes later and said that the box was missing a component needed for broadband, and that a team would have to come back on Monday to fix it. They would then call to arrange another appointment for the modem install. Today we got a call from them saying that after looking at the box at the end of the road, they now realise that Broadband is not actually available in my area. Oh and they have no idea when it will be. So I am left with a new cable coming into the bedroom that is of no use for the internet. Going by their reputation, I am expecting a bill for either broadband or a second tv point in the coming months.

My only other option is Irish broadband. I was thinking of trying ripwave, but don't know much about it. I read some of the other threads and the opinions seem mixed. My current connection is with IOL anytime using an ISDN line. I am not sure how much faster Ripwave would be in a house in the Crumlin area. I think the nearest transmitter is the Guiness one. Once connected to the network, does the modem give an ip address that an OS using DHCP can pick up? I'd be using Linux most of the time here so connecting via an ethernet port with DHCP would be my easiest option.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry about the long first post to the board but I thought I'd give as much detail about this.

.................... So I am left with a new cable coming into the bedroom that is of no use for the internet. Going by their reputation, I am expecting a bill for either broadband or a second tv point in the coming months.

Have you formally complained to NTL about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Email the boss man

graham.sutherland@ntl.com

or

graham.sutherland@ntl.ie

Tell him the story and tell him you expect not to be charged for any of this fiasco. Also ask him straight out when your road WILL be done, they are enabling about 10000 homes a month at present.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Today we got a call from them saying that after looking at the box at the end of the road, they now realise that Broadband is not actually available in my area.
    Classic stuff :D incompetence to beat the band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

best bet would be to email

matt.kemp@ntl.ie he is the main man over sales and he'd be your best option as graham sutherland doesnt deal directly with customers 99% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

the reason you would have been sold BB in the first place would have been because the system said you area was 2 way dtv capable.. indicating that BB could be installed at your house.

• Advertisement

NTL , in fairness, are highly competent when it comes to installing BB and providing a good BB service. This kind of complaint is very rare . The back end accounts department are unfortunately notorious so an email from on high can be useful to focus minds in there if they bill you in error .

If Graham Sutherland does not respond this week then mail him as often as you have to to get an answer . Tell us how it goes with them .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Thanks for the replies.
    I haven't made a complaint yet but I will today when I get home from work (can't email from here), so I'll let you all know how I get on. I actually didn't even say much when they called and told me as I couldn't believe what the bloke was telling me after having gone through 90% of an installation, and was left lost for words.
    It's strange because one of the others from our house saw them working on the box a few months ago and asked them what it was for. They said they were upgrading it for the internet service.
    The only thing I can think of that happened is that they realised the work that needed to be done on the box was not worth the effort for just one customer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

To answer your question Wayne, just be sure you order an Ethernet Ripwave. I was told that all the ripwave devices have both USB and Ethernet Ports - this is incorrect, as there are two versions and I ended up receiving a USB one so make sure to impress it upon them that only an Ethernet one will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I've been trying to get the eircom\esat service for two years without any luck. I always get the usual line is not suitable reply from them. We started getting ads through the post a few months back statinging that NTL's service was now in our area. I didn't really want to get it due to the horror stories I'd heard from people in work about their customer service. But a few weeks ago I decided that I had no other option and I phoned to enquire. The first thing they did was check their computer to see if it was in my area. After they saw it was, I made an appointment for them to come out and install the system. The two blokes arrived on a Saturday afternoon. They had to install another TV point in my bedroom, which meant they had to run a cable from the box outside and drill through the front wall of the house. They set up the tv point and then connected the modem. It was then that they noticed something was up. The leds on the modem wern't coming on correctly so one of them said my signal wasn't strong enough and that somebody would have to come out on Monday to install an amp on the box outside. They would then have to come back to install the modem (why? this is piss easy?). A week later (last Friday) another bloke came to check the signal. All he did was put a scope on the new tv point. He then said that my signal was perfect and that the other two must have made a mistake. Just before he left, I asked him if he was sure if broadband was actually available in this area. He said yeah it's available all over Crumlin but just to be sure he would check the box at the end of the road. He came back 10 minutes later and said that the box was missing a component needed for broadband, and that a team would have to come back on Monday to fix it. They would then call to arrange another appointment for the modem install. Today we got a call from them saying that after looking at the box at the end of the road, they now realise that Broadband is not actually available in my area. Oh and they have no idea when it will be. So I am left with a new cable coming into the bedroom that is of no use for the internet. Going by their reputation, I am expecting a bill for either broadband or a second tv point in the coming months.
    In all fairness, while there clearly was an error somewhere in the Database, it sounds like the actual installation procedure was handled in a very professional and competent manner. The people showed up when they said they'd show up, and they were up front and honest about what they found, and explained what was going on as each aspect of the problem was uncovered. I know it's not much consolation to you, but compare it to dealing with eircom and it puts things in a better light.

And if you do write to NTL to complain, be sure to make it quite clear that you aren't complaining about the installers, who appear to have don't a good job, based on your description.
    My only other option is Irish broadband. I was thinking of trying ripwave, but don't know much about it. I read some of the other threads and the opinions seem mixed. My current connection is with IOL anytime using an ISDN line. I am not sure how much faster Ripwave would be in a house in the Crumlin area. I think the nearest transmitter is the Guiness one. Once connected to the network, does the modem give an ip address that an OS using DHCP can pick up? I'd be using Linux most of the time here so connecting via an ethernet port with DHCP would be my easiest option.
    Yes, your PC will get an IP address by doing a DHCP request. Note that the IP address won't be coming from the Ripwave unit, but from the transmitter. The Ripwave modem doesn't actually have an IP address itself, and doesn't do NAT, so it is extremely important to have a firewall installed, whether hardware or software.

As Red Alert said, make sure you explicitly order the Ethernet modem.

This is the Coverage Map for Digital Hub West which covers large parts of Crumlin.

Ripwave wrote:
    In all fairness, while there clearly was an error somewhere in the Database, it sounds like the actual installation procedure was handled in a very professional and competent manner. The people showed up when they said they'd show up, and they were up front and honest about what they found, and explained what was going on as each aspect of the problem was uncovered. I know it's not much consolation to you, but compare it to dealing with eircom and it puts things in a better light.

And if you do write to NTL to complain, be sure to make it quite clear that you aren't complaining about the installers, who appear to have don't a good job, based on your description.[

I'll mention that the engineers did the job well based on the info they had when I send the mail. But just to clarify: They didn't come out on the times they were supposed to. The first two were to come on the saturday morning and I specified that in the appointment. They didn't show up until 3pm and I had to cancel other plans I had made to wait for them. The second guy was a week late showing up and I ended up having to take three days off work and make a few phone calls to finally get him out. But I more annoyed with how far the installation got before any problem was noticed.

• Advertisement

Well I attempted to mail both Matt Kemp and Graham Sutherland but the NTl mailserver bouced the messages back to me with the usual unidentified address message:

MATT.KEMP@NTL.IE on Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:48:52 +0100
    The recipient name is not recognized
    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=gb;a= ;p=ntl
    corp;l=MAST-DC0-SE140409151648RSD5CZXP
    MSEXCH:IMS:NTL Corp:CableTel Datacentre:MAST-DC0-SE14 0 (000C05A6)
    Unknown Recipient

So either they have change their adresses or their spamfilter bounces any email with the word complaint.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

A real-life customer complaint letter sent to NTL (from their complaints dept....)

Dear Cretins,

I have been an NTL customer since 9th July 2001, when I signed up for your 3-in-one deal for cable TV, cable modem, and telephone.

During this three-month period I have encountered inadequacy of service which I had not previously considered possible, as well as ignorance and stupidity of monolithic proportions. Please allow me to
    provide specific details, so that you can either pursue your professional prerogative, and seek to rectify these difficulties - or more likely (I suspect) so that you can have some entertaining reading material as you while away the working day smoking B&H and drinking vendor-coffee on the bog in your office.

My initial installation was cancelled without warning, resulting in my spending an entire Saturday sitting on my fat arse waiting for your technician to arrive. When he did not arrive, I spent a further 57 minutes listening to your infuriating hold music, and the even more annoying Scottish robot woman telling me to look at your helpful website.... HOW?

I alleviated the boredom by playing with my testicles for a few minutes - an activity at which you are no-doubt both familiar and highly adept.

The rescheduled installation then took place some two weeks later, although the technician did forget to bring a number of vital tools - such as a drill-bit, and his cerebrum. Two weeks later, my cable modem had still not arrived. After 15 telephone calls over 4 weeks my modem arrived... six weeks after I had requested it, and begun to pay for it.

I estimate your internet servers downtime is roughly 35%... hours between about 6pm -midnight, Mon-Fri, and most of the weekend. I am still waiting for my telephone connection. I have made 9 calls on my mobile to your no-help line, and have been unhelpfully transferred to a variety of disinterested individuals, who are it seems also highly skilled bollock jugglers.

I have been informed that a telephone line is available (and someone will call me back); that no telephone line is available (and someone will call me back); that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been cut off); that I will be transferred to someone (and then been redirected to an answer machine informing me that your office is closed); that I will be transferred to someone and then been redirected to the irritating Scottish robot woman...and several other variations on this theme.

Doubtless you are no longer reading this letter, as you have at least a thousand other dissatisfied customers to ignore, and also another one of those crucially important testicle-moments to attend to.
    Frankly I don't care, it's far more satisfying as a customer to voice my frustration's in print than to shout them at your unending hold music. Forgive me, therefore, if I continue.

I thought BT were ****, that they had attained the holy piss-pot of god-awful customer relations, that no-one, anywhere, ever, could be more disinterested, less helpful or more obstructive to delivering
    service to their customers. That's why I chose NTL, and because, well, there isn't anyone else is there? How surprised I therefore was, when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment
    what a useless shower of bastards you truly are. You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum - incompetents of the highest order.

British Telecom - **** though they are - shine like brilliant beacons of success, in the filthy pus-filled mire of your seemingly limitless inadequacy. Suffice to say that I have now given up on my
    futile and foolhardy quest to receive any kind of service from you. I suggest that you cease any potential future attempts to extort payment from me for the services which you have so pointedly and
    catastrophically failed to deliver- any such activity will be greeted initially with hilarity and disbelief -quickly be replaced by derision, and even perhaps bemused rage.

I enclose two small deposits, selected with great care from my cats litter tray, as an expression of my utter and complete contempt for both you and your pointless company. I sincerely hope that they have
    not become desiccated during transit - they were satisfyingly moist at the time of posting, and I would feel considerable disappointment if you did not experience both their rich aroma and delicate texture.

Consider them the very embodiment of my feelings towards NTL, and it's worthless employees. Have a nice day - may it be the last in you miserable short life, you irritatingly incompetent and infuriatingly unhelpful bunch of twats.

Regards John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well I attempted to mail both Matt Kemp and Graham Sutherland but the NTl mailserver bouced the messages back to me with the usual unidentified address message:

MATT.KEMP@NTL.IE on Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:48:52 +0100
    The recipient name is not recognized
    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=gb;a= ;p=ntl
    corp;l=MAST-DC0-SE140409151648RSD5CZXP
    MSEXCH:IMS:NTL Corp:CableTel Datacentre:MAST-DC0-SE14 0 (000C05A6)
    Unknown Recipient

So either they have change their adresses or their spamfilter bounces any email with the word complaint.

:eek:

Seeing as you have written up the stuff why not print them off and send off two registered letters to them - it may cost you a bit but at least you know they will have got them. You should tell them you are seeking compensation for the days you had to take off work too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

Try paul.malone@ntl.com I will resolve your issue

paulyx wrote:
    Try paul.malone@ntl.com I will resolve your issue

Ok. I sent you on the mail that I sent to Matt Kemp.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

Cheers Wayne,

I will contact you direct..........

Just thought I'd give an update on this.

Thanks to Paul's help I am now up and running with the NTL service. And compared to what I was on previously, the speed difference is amazing.

Thanks to everyone else who replied to my original post for their help and suggestions on this.

Are we giving NTL the BIG thumbs up overall then ?

You would be the only person I know of who got his street ...or estate or whatever .....BB enabled in 2 weeks flat. Yer a Legend Wayne :) . People have begged for BB for 2 years and gotten nowhere with it ......poor Shinzon had half the government on the case for him and got nowhere.

Giz a bit more info on what was done to make it happen for you .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bloody hell, u must have pollisehd his knob well!
    We had unbeleivable grief out of them when trying to get digital mmds off them. canceling installations at short notice, calling to confirm rescheduled installations that we were never informed of. Got to the stage where we had a manager promise they'd be out to us one saturday between 9 and 1 but nobody told the installation crew. more phone calls. one customer service rep even hung up on us! but fair play to my flat mate, after a 12 weeks fiasco trying to get broadband of Esat which was eircoms fault and getting Comreg involved, he was in a take no **** mood.
    Long story short, took 3 week for 2 lads to spend 10 mins to plug in an digital decoder and ring to get the card activated. if we had know how easy it would have been we would have tried to call around and get the decoder box ourselves and plugged it in.
    oh and no broadband thanks to eircom scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'd say a big thumbs up for paulyx for getting involved.

• Advertisement

Muck wrote:
    Are we giving NTL the BIG thumbs up overall then ?

You would be the only person I know of who got his street ...or estate or whatever .....BB enabled in 2 weeks flat. Yer a Legend Wayne :) . People have begged for BB for 2 years and gotten nowhere with it ......poor Shinzon had half the government on the case for him and got nowhere.

Giz a bit more info on what was done to make it happen for you .

M

Well on the advice of the early posters to this, I typed up a complaint email. Nothing nasty, just basically explaining what had happened.
    I sent it on to Paul after seeing his post here and he took it from there.
    As far as I know the issue got escalated to some of the higher managers and after they saw the email, they decided to sort it out. Paul kept me updated over the two weeks as to what was going on. I think the problem was that my road was never 2 way enabled so they had to fix it. The engineers were out on the road late last week. Yesterday one of the lads came out and did the modem install and that was it. There was a customer services guy out about 30 mins later to make sure everything was done and I was happy.

So I'm happy with how things turned out. As I said earlier, the connection is very fast. I went with the 1.5MB option to try it out for a while. Downloaded a 500mb file in less than an hour last night at an average speed of 170kbs, which was very impressive.

Wayne

You spent 2 Years being told your Eircom line failed ....and probably still does , did you ever ask Eircom to fix it for you BTW or what was wrong with it ??? .

You spent 2 Weeks getting NTL to sort out your cable however you did it ...

They even sent out someone after the engineers went out to make sure you were Happy ??!!!!!!!!!!! .

You are a True True Legend Wayne from Crumlin :) . These things do not happen in Ireland.

M

Muck wrote:
    Wayne

You spent 2 Years being told your Eircom line failed ....and probably still does , did you ever ask Eircom to fix it for you BTW or what was wrong with it ??? .

You spent 2 Weeks getting NTL to sort out your cable however you did it ...

They even sent out someone after the engineers went out to make sure you were Happy ??!!!!!!!!!!! .

You are a True True Legend Wayne from Crumlin :) . These things do not happen in Ireland.

M

I could never get much information about my line out of eircom. The last time
    I tried, the bloke told me that the line going through the exchange was probably bad and that I should call 1901 and get them to do a fault check. That resulted in a new phone for us but no broadband. It became a bi monthly ritual, calling to get the line tested for about 2 years. I was always conviced that the line failed their tests because it was an isdn line. But they assured me it wasn't. My next adventure with eircom will be getting them to remove the isdn line now that I have th NTL service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

So let me be the first. paulyx: I'll send a mail today so that you can get the ball rolling in Sandyford ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Incredible :eek: WOW NTL flat out ROCK I can't wait till they get around to upgrading my area and I can phone up Esat and tell them were to shove their crappy BB :D

Advertisement