Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem opening Excel file

Options
  • 14-09-2004 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have come across a problem with a mates PC, he is using MS Office XP. The problem is, when opening .xls files by double-clicking on them. After he double-click the files, the Excel program opens blank but there is no .xls file opened not even the default workbook.

Although he can still open the file with the File - Open option in Excel, it is annoying that double-clicking the file is not working. Word, Powerpoint and so on are working fine. Have repaired Office and uninstalled and re-installed it, to no avail. Have even shut down other programs, still no joy.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to solve this anomaly.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Try opening My Computer and choosing Folder Options from the Tools menu. Choose the File Types tab and select XLS from the Extensions column. Click Change. If the selected application isn't Microsoft Office Excel, choose it and click back to My Computer. Otherwise choose another one, click back to My Computer, and do it all over again, this time setting it to Microsoft Office Excel. That work?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and let you know if that fixes it.

Advertisement